Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Vega FE that I tested before. I now have a Radeon VII. Running the same tests on both, the Radeon VII was better performance than the Vega FE in Premiere Pro, Resolve, FCPX, and Compressor.

The real world benefits of dual GPUs is actually limited. An app may see and utilize both GPUs, but the performance gain is likely not that much greater considering the cost of the GPUs. You’re better off buying a single more expensive higher performance GPU than 2 lesser GPUs. Blackmagic Design will tell you the same and recommends single GPU for most systems now.

@djlild7hina @eiriasemrys Since we seem to be in the same business I thought I would ask. I am moving from my X99 Titan system to a new x299 system. Do you find the Radeon VII to be the best option? I spend all day in premiere and Resolve with brief moment in in AE. Everything is 4K or 4.5K Alexa LF.

Kevin

Premiere will not use more than one card. FCPX will (you can always look at GPU temps or GPU activity in Activity Monitor to double check).

As far as recommending it, I can't because I haven't tried it, so this is all in theory.

It's such a niche card it's going to be difficult to find an editor that is going to buy dual Radeon VIIs and give performance benchmarks.

There are benchmarks on the Windows side for 2x Radeon VII's, though.

See if this helps with your decision:

Also for Premiere with a single GPU (this is useless for you since you have 1 gpu already):

Premiere on High Sierra with 2 x Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB. Render test shows 24% better performance adding the 2nd card.

Radeon VII had 4 CUs less than Vega 64/FE but it has double the memory bandwidth.

A quick test is BruceX in FCPX. It went from 16sec (Vega FE) to 11sec (Radeon VII).

Another user reported 8.25 seconds for Radeon VII with Bruce X.

Premiere for me feels smoother overall and no issues. I haven’t done specific tests with Premiere though, but I do use the whole Adobe suite daily and it’s working great. There’s room for more optimization from Apple and I think we will see that with Catalina and not Mojave moving forward.

If you want me to run a specific Premiere test and give you numbers let me know. Send me a zipped project folder with source files.

The other positive side is Radeon VII (aka Vega II) is in the 2019 Mac Pro so it will be optimized more in the future.

We might see lower prices on the Radeon VII so maybe wait until Navi is out in July?

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I'd like to have a test comparison between a friend's machine with 1 and 2 x Nvidia 1080Ti 11GB using Premiere.
I asked him, and he's up for it. Only thing is he leaves for vacation tomorrow.
Do you have a Premiere project yourself that you can share with us so to compare the rendering times?
Thanks for your help.

L.

@djlild7hina @eiriasemrys Since we seem to be in the same business I thought I would ask. I am moving from my X99 Titan system to a new x299 system. Do you find the Radeon VII to be the best option? I spend all day in premiere and Resolve with brief moment in in AE. Everything is 4K or 4.5K Alexa LF.

Kevin

Yeah that is going to be especially solid for Alexa footage. Premiere, as discussed a lot on here, is very under-optimized for hardware in general. On my system, I find that it will never utilize all available threads or even cores. GPU acceleration leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, Resolve is very capable at using everything you've got to accelerate playback. The specs on my profile are my main production machine and I use that daily with clients in the room on 4K timelines. RED, Alexa, Phantom. With the FE card, I have to cache deniose and/or OpenFX plugins, but that was the case with my Titan X as well (I noticed a 5-8% drop in performance in resolve playback when I went from the Titan X to the AMD Vega FE. But the AMD card handled multiple high-res displays way better.).

I am moving to the Radeon VII soon here, and based on the playback tests in the Mojave x299 support that someone did, I think it should be a good little boost in performance. Time is money as they say.

Yeah that is going to be especially solid for Alexa footage. Premiere, as discussed a lot on here, is very under-optimized for hardware in general. On my system, I find that it will never utilize all available threads or even cores. GPU acceleration leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, Resolve is very capable at using everything you've got to accelerate playback. The specs on my profile are my main production machine and I use that daily with clients in the room on 4K timelines. RED, Alexa, Phantom. With the FE card, I have to cache deniose and/or OpenFX plugins, but that was the case with my Titan X as well (I noticed a 5-8% drop in performance in resolve playback when I went from the Titan X to the AMD Vega FE. But the AMD card handled multiple high-res displays way better.).

I am moving to the Radeon VII soon here, and based on the playback tests in the Mojave x299 support that someone did, I think it should be a good little boost in performance. Time is money as they say.
I just hate having to give up on the Nvidia Hardware. It decodes red footage in premiere so easily, and AMD/Radeon has burned many so many times over the years.

I just hate having to give up on the Nvidia Hardware. It decodes red footage in premiere so easily, and AMD/Radeon has burned many so many times over the years.

Well you’re in luck. Red, Adobe and a bunch of other companies are optimizing for the Mac Pro in September so Catalina should give you a nice boost with AMD hardware.

Most likely we will see RED and Adobe optimized apps for Metal by then too. Stay tuned.

The Radeon VII is a computational beast that even has better performance in certain areas than 2080Ti. No doubt about it that it can handle at least 1 stream of 8k RED footage if optimized correctly (so it will offload debayering to GPU rather than CPU)....just like the 2080Ti can handle 1 stream of 8k with CUDA.

Adobe is really the most horrible company that is anti-optimization. I don't understand where they spend all that Creative Cloud money they keep collecting from everyone. Premiere Pro hasn't been optimized for modern hardware in 10 years. After Effects is a joke with GPU optimizations (that's why I prefer high core count/high single core performance CPUs for it rather than focusing on GPUs)...and Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator are meh with GPU performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back