Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming @InsomnIaHackintosh meant to send that to @dithaack

Sorry yes, my bad, meant to address the question to @dithaack. I was just curious, they are fully supported GPU's with Catalina, but I don't think they work on Metal, maybe Open CL that is not extremely optimised for mac now. I know they only have pro drivers available for windows but for Mac they should come with Pro Render in certain softwares and recognise their product as another line of dedicated graphics. Some softwares like Avid and Premiere are having these cards under their top recommended GPU's. In the WX8200 case I was wondering if that investment made sense or if it brings anything to the table especially in video editing. It might add some extra power to 3D softwares like Maya or Cinema 4D.

But yes, I would probably agree with you @pieropontra in my case I will stick to my 5700XT for now and maybe get an upgrade to the RDNA2 when it comes out if they also get support for Mac OS. I had the Radeon VII and I sent it back the next day. When working with h264 on Premiere Pro or Davinci projects it would create really messy visual artefacts constantly so it was a big no for me that GPU.

With the 5700XT I'm generally happy both on windows and Mac, there is one really annoying thing about it tho, in some instances the os still feels laggy for example when booting, when changing the volume (animation lags), when it comes back from the screen saver it's very choppy delaying the password typing etc.

I was considering getting an RX580 as @[B]djlild7hina[/B] confirmed is all working great at his end and not experiencing any of this symptoms, but then if I do that, the badly designed Premiere software will take the card that has the monitors plugged into as a first option, it only handle multi GPU when exporting but not on decoding the real time footage on the timeline. Really not much variety to the table. Why on earth do we not have RTX drivers? :)) I would go straight away with a 2080ti.

Sorry yes, my bad, meant to address the question to @dithaack. I was just curious, they are fully supported GPU's with Catalina, but I don't think they work on Metal, maybe Open CL that is not extremely optimised for mac now. I know they only have pro drivers available for windows but for Mac they should come with Pro Render in certain softwares and recognise their product as another line of dedicated graphics. Some softwares like Avid and Premiere are having these cards under their top recommended GPU's. In the WX8200 case I was wondering if that investment made sense or if it brings anything to the table especially in video editing. It might add some extra power to 3D softwares like Maya or Cinema 4D.

But yes, I would probably agree with you @pieropontra in my case I will stick to my 5700XT for now and maybe get an upgrade to the RDNA2 when it comes out if they also get support for Mac OS. I had the Radeon VII and I sent it back the next day. When working with h264 on Premiere Pro or Davinci projects it would create really messy visual artefacts constantly so it was a big no for me that GPU.

With the 5700XT I'm generally happy both on windows and Mac, there is one really annoying thing about it tho, in some instances the os still feels laggy for example when booting, when changing the volume (animation lags), when it comes back from the screen saver it's very choppy delaying the password typing etc.

I was considering getting an RX580 as @[B]djlild7hina[/B] confirmed is all working great at his end and not experiencing any of this symptoms, but then if I do that, the badly designed Premiere software will take the card that has the monitors plugged into as a first option, it only handle multi GPU when exporting but not on decoding the real time footage on the timeline. Really not much variety to the table. Why on earth do we not have RTX drivers? :)) I would go straight away with a 2080ti.

Let's hope to see some good stuff regarding video drivers for AMD cards at WWDC '20, we can pray for a few days more my friend :p

Feel like the best option for GPU would be to put it in Slot-1 or Slot-5.
I’ve found it’s best to put the titan ridge cards on a separate PC0 as the gpu you’re using. And try to boot first with one titan ridge card without any tb devices plugged into it. If a device is under PC02 it’ll be under SL05. If it’s under PC01 it’ll be under SL01. The pci-bridges are below the SL01.

The reason they’re showing under bus 0 is the ssdts for thunderbolt aren’t properly configured. Also the Thunderbolt DROM needs to be adjusted per card so they appear under different buses.

Let’s try to get one card working first and stable then try adding another ;)

Have you also tried plugging in the additional 6 pin above slot-1?
@djlild7hina -Wow- didn't realize you had responded! Sorry, for some reason I stopped getting email notifications. Thank you though.
Yes, I usually plug in both 6-pins on all the cards- I don't know when not to...
Just worked on it for a while like you suggest, just one Titan.
Right now I’d boil down what I'm experiencing to:
With GPU on PC02 (Slot 1) and Titan on PC01, a reboot with a TB device plugged in I always get code 62.
If actually shutdown instead of reboot I get past Code 62, but it seems the dilemma is a reboot is needed to get the devices to show up—and I’m not allowed to reboot. I just tried with 1 Titan, both 6-pin power and USB connected, in slots 4, 5, & 6 (with adapted bridge number but same DROM) and the result was the same. I'll try to flip the GPU to PC01 and see if any luck, but it seems I've got to find out what's causing this code. I appreciate your suggestions and I'll keep working on it tomorrow! Hope you have better luck with a different dock. I use the Akitio but haven't thoroughly tested it.

I got a Radeon VII not a WX 8200 (which is the Pro version of the Vega 56). Do you need any info about VII?

PS: I think it's useless to buy Radeon Pros for hackintoshes, since drivers are built in macOS and developed by Apple you loose the purpose about spending big money on drivers (AMD's Pro drivers) you'll end up not using.
I went for the pro because I hoped it'd be built tough and I'll be taking this machine on the road, and in unfavorable conditions. I thought it might be worth the extra money... now I'm not so sure. At some point I was hoping to add another GPU in, but I'm not there yet. I'm open to any GPU suggestions that are good for video encoding-that's my main consideration

@pieropontra I was wondering about how that WX 8200 works for you? Are you editing with it? I suppose it has no metal support just Open CL in Premiere. Do you have a benchmark score? Any system lags with it? Technically it should work good since it's a Radeon architecture.

Also does it spin properly 4k h264 footage?

Ta!
I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, but I'm not sure that it's really optimized and I'm not overclocking. I'll try to get you some details tomorrow!

@djlild7hina -Wow- didn't realize you had responded! Sorry, for some reason I stopped getting email notifications. Thank you though.
Yes, I usually plug in both 6-pins on all the cards- I don't know when not to...
Just worked on it for a while like you suggest, just one Titan.
Right now I’d boil down what I'm experiencing to:
With GPU on PC02 (Slot 1) and Titan on PC01, a reboot with a TB device plugged in I always get code 62.
If actually shutdown instead of reboot I get past Code 62, but it seems the dilemma is a reboot is needed to get the devices to show up—and I’m not allowed to reboot. I just tried with 1 Titan, both 6-pin power and USB connected, in slots 4, 5, & 6 (with adapted bridge number but same DROM) and the result was the same. I'll try to flip the GPU to PC01 and see if any luck, but it seems I've got to find out what's causing this code. I appreciate your suggestions and I'll keep working on it tomorrow! Hope you have better luck with a different dock. I use the Akitio but haven't thoroughly tested it.

Hopefully it's not an issue with your motherboard. Do you have another graphics card to test since code 62 is related to graphics? If you enable thunderbolt in the bios, use the thunderbolt header and adapt the SSDT to PC00->RP05 does it still cause issues? I believe @InsomnIaHackintosh had similar issues but wasn't sure if it was code 62 or if he was able to fix it.
The dual 6 pins on the cards are for if your thunderbolt devices need charging (Like charging a macbook pro for example.) If your devices have their own power supplies, you probably don't need to plug it in. The usb 2 cable is for if you want to plug usb 2 devices directly into the card. If you don't care about usb 2 or you have a dock/device that has its own usb 2 controller the cable is not required.

Hopefully it's not an issue with your motherboard. Do you have another graphics card to test since code 62 is related to graphics? If you enable thunderbolt in the bios, use the thunderbolt header and adapt the SSDT to PC00->RP05 does it still cause issues? I believe @InsomnIaHackintosh had similar issues but wasn't sure if it was code 62 or if he was able to fix it.
The dual 6 pins on the cards are for if your thunderbolt devices need charging (Like charging a macbook pro for example.) If your devices have their own power supplies, you probably don't need to plug it in. The usb 2 cable is for if you want to plug usb 2 devices directly into the card. If you don't care about usb 2 or you have a dock/device that has its own usb 2 controller the cable is not required.
Hope it's not the motherboard, but I'll reach out to ASUS tomorrow just in case I can get any info. I'll work on a backup graphics card. If a local friend doesn't have one I'll have to order one, but funds are getting low (recommendations would be nice :lol:). And yes with the header things were much more reliable and functional- it's when I started jumping pins for the 2nd Titan that this code started popping up. The other day I was playing with trying the header/BIOS enabled and also a jumped 2nd Titan, but wasn't going well.

Just did another big bunch of tests and trying to get some repeatable scenarios. GPU in slot 5 does improve some as I'm able to get certain Thunderbolt devices/daisy-chain configurations to mount on reboot. That's with only one Titan installed, BUT- no Airport card. Adding the Airport back in (PC01) causes mayhem. Since I was having some luck with 1 Titan, I threw them both in Slot 2 & 3 and the SSDT for both and get the error code. I'll try more tomorrow.

Thank you for clearing up those questions!

Hope it's not the motherboard, but I'll reach out to ASUS tomorrow just in case I can get any info. I'll work on a backup graphics card. If a local friend doesn't have one I'll have to order one, but funds are getting low (recommendations would be nice :lol:). And yes with the header things were much more reliable and functional- it's when I started jumping pins for the 2nd Titan that this code started popping up. The other day I was playing with trying the header/BIOS enabled and also a jumped 2nd Titan, but wasn't going well.

Just did another big bunch of tests and trying to get some repeatable scenarios. GPU in slot 5 does improve some as I'm able to get certain Thunderbolt devices/daisy-chain configurations to mount on reboot. That's with only one Titan installed, BUT- no Airport card. Adding the Airport back in (PC01) causes mayhem. Since I was having some luck with 1 Titan, I threw them both in Slot 2 & 3 and the SSDT for both and get the error code. I'll try more tomorrow.

Thank you for clearing up those questions!

I'm using the sapphire pulse rx 580 and it seems to work fine. have 2 4k monitors @60hz and a 4k tv.
Hmm, wonder if it has to do with how the plx chips are allocating lanes. I would assume it would be best to keep one card in slot-2 with TB3 BIOS settings enabled. I only have one tb3 device to test so maybe that's why i'm not receiving the error :lol:

I'm using the sapphire pulse rx 580 and it seems to work fine. have 2 4k monitors @60hz and a 4k tv.
Hmm, wonder if it has to do with how the plx chips are allocating lanes. I would assume it would be best to keep one card in slot-2 with TB3 BIOS settings enabled. I only have one tb3 device to test so maybe that's why i'm not receiving the error :lol:
You did at one point have them both installed with your dock though and weren't getting the code right?
I don't know how the PLX works, but I'll say it was pretty weird how one thing would work and one wouldn't. Like my TB3 Raid works and a TB2 raid works going through it, but not if on it's own port, but a video capture box would work but only certain ways... etc. And of course adding the Airport changed a lot.

I was hoping to get a 2nd GPU anyway to help share the load while rendering video, maybe I should take this time to figure that out and get something ordered. Gonna message you on the opencore thread. Thanks!

You did at one point have them both installed with your dock though and weren't getting the code right?
I don't know how the PLX works, but I'll say it was pretty weird how one thing would work and one wouldn't. Like my TB3 Raid works and a TB2 raid works going through it, but not if on it's own port, but a video capture box would work but only certain ways... etc. And of course adding the Airport changed a lot.

I was hoping to get a 2nd GPU anyway to help share the load while rendering video, maybe I should take this time to figure that out and get something ordered. Gonna message you on the opencore thread. Thanks!

Yes, had both cards installed in 2/3 and could boot/reboot with the dock plugged in. The dock worked the same on either card. I know my computer would crash when loading macOS with the SSDT enabled whenever the card was in a certain slot. Asus recommends if using 4 graphics cards to use slots 1/3/5/7 so wonder if that may work better? I honestly don’t know other lol don’t think anyone else has attempted to try two thunderbolt cards in a sage besides us.

Apologies if this is a rudimentary question, but I've been banging my head against the OpenCore documentation for the past day and a half and am on revision four of my EFI.

When I try to boot from my installer USB flash drive, I wind up at the prohibited sign unless I use the single USB 3.1 (gen A) port on my motherboard. While this allows the installer to successfully launch, no other USB ports work and I'm effectively dead in the water once I get to the setup screen. Any assistance would greatly appreciated.

EFI is attached, and my BIOS config mirrors that recommended here by KGP.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back