Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try updating to 10.15.2 prior to update, you could get the error "this device is not supported in this platform" at boot (which can be bypassed with -no_compat_check argument in boot section of .plist)

Good luck
I would like to do a fresh install of 10.15.2 with mac pro 7,1 SMBios. Is this " -no_compat_check" also need?
Thanks

I would like to do a fresh install of 10.15.2 with mac pro 7,1 SMBios. Is this " -no_compat_check" also need?
Thanks
I'd say it is only needed if while trying to install you get the "this device is not supported in this platform" message in verbose mode, just after loading installation from clover. For instance what happened with 10.13.5 and SMBIOS 19,1.

I haven't tried moving to that SMBIOS, I'd say X299 is much similar to the iMacPro architecture than that of a MacPro7,1 which would be more similar to a C621 chipset, thus I believe it would make no benefit. In my case, I have some software which is hard linked to my system ID and serial, so changing would only have me having to authorize everything again.

Update completed

Capture d’écran 2019-12-11 à 17.44.41.png

Yep! Mine too (all three of them). I think (I hope) this version of Catalina (specifically 10.15.2) finally establishes it as a reliable and stable macOS version.
Yes I hope too ;)

Hello everyone,

I'm building a X299X system with a Gigabyte X299X Designare EX 10G and a 10900X, besides having different BIOS and different PCH components, the build should be about the same, but I'm having trouble with Thunderbolt (surprisingly).

I'm trying to boot a Catalina 10.15 with clover v5099.

Even if I disable it all together it does come back to getting stuck in the same line at boot.

I'm a bit out of ideas.

I am building a config with the same mobo, but it crash when I am in the bootloader and when it restart I have the "Boot Failure" message in the BIOS. Do you have any idea ?

Troubleshooting with a Sage? They run perfect.

Now they do.

There's something wrong with these boards, you have to flash the BIOS a few times (2-3 max) to get the BIOS working properly.

2001 BIOS was bad, though.
2002 is fine.

The top end Mac Pro is not that much faster than the 18c Skylake-X (whatever generation you have). Was curious to see if they underclocked the 28c they have in there and it seems like they don't and the cooling is really really good (considering it runs on air). Also considering that most likely only 2 cores boost on that Xeon they have, it's not taking advantage of the craziness that CPU has.

Benches from Mac Pro:
Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.27.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.27.00 PM.png

I get around 9500 on CB20 when OC'd at @4.5Ghz on all cores with the 9980XE.
I get around 18,500+ on GB5 when OC'd at @4.4Ghz on all cores with the 9980XE.

So everyone should be happy with a X299 setup for years to come. And it didn't cost you $20,000+.

Also the W-3175x will definitely be on the used market very soon (Or intel will be forced to drop the price) in January once the 64c AMD is out. So if you want to build a faster OC'd version of the Mac Pro, there ya go.

Some people have started building AMD systems with the 3900x/3950x/Threadripper 2's, but the danger of some applications not working doesn't bode well with me (especially Adobe apps, etc).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back