Contribute
Register

ASUS X-299 Deluxe II - Thunderbolt Solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @dez!

I have since run a few more tests and figured out that hot-plug only seems to be working on Port 1 for Thunderbolt devices in Windows 10 as well. Behaviour for Port 2 (closest to PCIe slots) is similar to the USB-C in that it only works when cold booted but if device is removed, then it cannot be re-attached, unless I plug it into Port 1.

So it is definitely possible that it's just my board and it's a little bent in the way it's handling it. But it's also possible that it's an issue for not just myself, and the thunderbolt firmware has some issues, and that is why hot-plug is not working.

Was also wondering if @joeblough might have come across anything similar in the attempts to flash the firmware?

Here are some of my findings from today:

1. I can get my drives to be detected, only if I have it plugged in before the cold-boot. Once I have Clover/OC up on the screen, it's a no-go from that point.
2. I switched to this file by CaseySJ (replacing RP21 to RP05 as is in my case): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/post-2183361
3. TB3 is now working under Big Sur Beta 10 for me, but same as 1. Cannot HP once the system is booted without something plugged in.
4. I have one of those USB-C to A adapters as well, so I gave that a shot. If I leave it plugged in without anything connected to it: I can then continue to plug in a drive after Big Sur has finished booting.
5. I also tried installing the latest TB3 drivers under Windows 10. HP still doesn't work.

Considering your findings and mine, I believe we can, for now, assume that something is terribly off with TB3 Firmware on our boards, or Asus just did a bang up job wiring it up all wrong (PCH instead of CPU).

As for the ports, I have both working, luckily. So one of your ports not working seems to be a localised issue.

I can't be very sure, but I think we should get in touch with Intel and Asus on this, and see if they have any updated drivers or ROM that we can use.

I can't be very sure, but I think we should get in touch with Intel and Asus on this, and see if they have any updated drivers or ROM that we can use.

Thanks for following up on this @dez ... I think I missed the notification on this!

So I have been in touch with ASUS tech support and am just in the process of getting my board RMA'd. Went too and fro with them about the issues, but they agree something seems off. They did not recommend or provide any updated drivers so far, as I was hoping they might too!

I do have a backup board (x299 Prime-A) available, so I'd rather send it in and see if can figure out what the f is going on.

I tried both @CaseySJ 's and the original KGP Thunderbolt SSDT (adjusted for RP05) and no go with either.

I managed to get Big Sur Beta up and running as well as Mojave & Catalina too, but no improvement in TB behaviour. As a side note, one thing I did notice is that USB drives weren't ejected on sleep in Big Sur, which was interesting.

I'm pretty sure from your findings as well that it this is a firmware issue. I think it's pretty telling that you cannot hot-plug a USB device in Windows. I'm just hoping that somebody looks at the firmware and figures out all the issues and hopefully that consequentially the TB hot-plug will be alleviated in the process.

I really like the board otherwise, but especially with the ability to flash the Titan Ridge cards, it leaves a little to be wanted. Speaking of which I do have one (GC Titan-Ridge V2 flashed) and was able to get it working in tandem with the onboard TB. There was something very finicky though with hot-plugging my PCI-E chassis that has my UAD cards in. It would cause an immediate computer reset. No KP. But I think once I had the driver recognized with a cold boot on both ports, then they both worked.

I will keep you apprised, but it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get any word about the situation!

Reactions: dez
Ok, I seldom ask for help, but I'm at my wits end.

I've spent the last 6 weeks building my latest hackintosh and thanks to the entire community, I have it working 95%. But the reason I built this computer is to get my new Thunderbolt 2 audio interface working, and I can't get it to work. It can be detected during boot up, it can be seen in the IO Registry, but the driver can't detect it and it shows up strangely in the System Information window. USB-C work (no hot plug). I'm out of ideas, can anybody see what I'm missing?

System:
INTEL i9-7900X 10-Core Skylake-X
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II
EVGA NVIDIA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid (Slot 1)
G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
YOUBO BCM94360CD WiFi/BT card (Slot 6)
SYBA PEX00009 IEEE1394 Firewire card (Slot 4)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030)

Interface:
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 (original)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    39.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IO iMac Pro.ioreg
    5.9 MB · Views: 48
  • System Info.png
    System Info.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Thunderbolt IO.png
    Thunderbolt IO.png
    265.9 KB · Views: 87
  • bootlog.txt
    69.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I can’t help you directly, as I’ve never used that interface, but if you do a search for Antelope in the forum, I believe there are many issues with getting them to run via thunderbolt on hackintoshes unfortunately. Other interfaces (UAD, Presonus etc. ) don’t seem to have many issues.

I can’t help you directly, as I’ve never used that interface, but if you do a search for Antelope in the forum, I believe there are many issues with getting them to run via thunderbolt on hackintoshes unfortunately. Other interfaces (UAD, Presonus etc. ) don’t seem to have many issues.
I really appreciate that information. I hope I can get around it.

The Thunderbolt 3 of x299 Deluxe II motherboard is not directly connected to the type-C interface of the motherboard, and there is a tps56988 multiplexer in the middle. In this key role, the network card of type-C can be attached to USB3.0 bus without any change,
屏幕截图 2020-12-08 091415.png

If you plug in the network card of type-C USB2.0, it will be directly attached to the bus of USB3.0, Plug in the network card of type-C USB2.0 directly, and it can be hot pluggable
截屏2020-12-08 下午4.58.58.png
截屏2020-12-08 下午4.59.14.png

If you plug in the network card of type-C USB2.0 before power on, it will be detected by tps56988, and then it will be attached to the USB 3.1 of Thunderbolt 3
截屏2020-12-08 下午5.32.18.png

In fact, the firmware in tps56988 can be redefined through the tps56xxx management controller,
无标题.jpg

It's just that my English is not good enough, and the software is also in English, so it is very difficult to operate. I hope that foreign friends can redefine tps56988 to realize the hot plug of Thunderbolt 3. If I succeed, I will share it

Official statement :https://www.ti.com/product/TPS65988

截屏2020-11-12 下午2.32.17.png

Now the only problem is the Thunderbolt 3 hot plug
截屏2020-12-08 下午6.14.28.png

截屏2020-12-08 下午6.18.26.png

截屏2020-12-08 下午6.19.21.png

Attachments

• TPS65987_88_Firmware_Release_Notes_F707_10_08.pdf
    414 KB · Views: 84
  • TPS65987_88_Firmware_Release_Notes_F707_10_08.pdf
    414 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Ok, I seldom ask for help, but I'm at my wits end.

I've spent the last 6 weeks building my latest hackintosh and thanks to the entire community, I have it working 95%. But the reason I built this computer is to get my new Thunderbolt 2 audio interface working, and I can't get it to work. It can be detected during boot up, it can be seen in the IO Registry, but the driver can't detect it and it shows up strangely in the System Information window. USB-C work (no hot plug). I'm out of ideas, can anybody see what I'm missing?

System:
INTEL i9-7900X 10-Core Skylake-X
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II
EVGA NVIDIA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid (Slot 1)
G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
YOUBO BCM94360CD WiFi/BT card (Slot 6)
SYBA PEX00009 IEEE1394 Firewire card (Slot 4)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G6030)

Interface:
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 (original)

Antelope are assholes, they have the best value for money on the market, and they would be perfect match for hackintosh user - still they refuse to let their interfaces work with Hackintosh. Shame on them, Apollo is now industry standard in italy because of this.

Also avoid x299 for audio work, it's a bad platform with high latencies, not suitable for realtime application, like gaming or audio :)

Last edited:
Antelope are assholes, they have the best value for money on the market, and they would be perfect match for hackintosh user - still they refuse to let their interfaces work with Hackintosh. Shame on them, Apollo is now industry standard in italy because of this.

Also avoid x299 for audio work, it's a bad platform with high latencies, not suitable for realtime application, like gaming or audio :)
I am now aware of this as I have tried every conceivable option of Thunderbolt with my Hack. I bought an Apollo last week, works great. Might have saved myself $3000+ had I started with it. I’ll keep it for now, but if I feel like the hardware emulations aren’t worth it, it will be sold to the highest bidder.

Just write to the Antelope guys that their interfaces flood the used market because they do not work with hacks and so the value of their new products follows, as Apollo stuff keep resale value much better because of flawless hack operation.

there is a tps56988 multiplexer in the middle
I noticed in the thunderbolt BIOS settings there is a reference to GPIO3, and I see in the TPS65988 datasheet this line:
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 11.43.26 PM.png

(Also GPIO4 for the 2nd port, but I didn't see this in BIOS settings yet).

This is probably only related to DisplayPort, but "alternate mode" seems related to both DisplayPort and Thunderbolt so I wanted to at least bring it up since it mentions Hot Plug Detect.

I'm skimming the other Thunderbolt portions, and the reset timing section looks interesting (i.e. they read from same flash, and TPS65988 holds thunderbolt in reset until its read is finished) but I don't understand it deeply enough to say much yet.

Reactions: dez
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back