Contribute
Register

ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202 (Is it good?)

Hello!

I just purchased the VivoBook X202 and I am considering the possibility of trying a hackintosh conversion on it, but first, I want to install a working Linux. Windows 8 can go the way of the wastebasket -- well, almost; I've saved the harddrive for reselling the laptop later, never having booted into Win8.

I've swapped it out for a very jerry-rigged Vertex4 (without plastic casing, only metal casing, 3m double-stick mounting tape (the grey outdoor stuff) sticking the SSD's circuit board inside via the edges and the protective thin plastic sheet hdd cover/padding from the OEM hdd previously inside to cover the now open-bottom of the SSD.

I made sure not to get tape on any of the chips or surface-mount components for an easy swap out at some point -- I've seen people recommend putting doublestick tape _ON THE CHIPS_ and this seems like a very bad idea to me if you ever wanted to take the drive out again...

More to the point however, is that Linux, specifically the Gentoo 12.1 LiveDVD, did not recognize my USB stick upon boot. The kernel booted, but the stick was not found afterwards.

This sounds like the exact same issue you hackintoshers seem to be facing. I'd never seen this sort of failure, where unplugging and replugging the USB Stick produced no result in the dmesg (kernel logs).

What finally worked: Turn of XHCI mode in BIOS!

Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Pre-Boot Mode [Disabled]

Try this! :thumbup:

After enabling legacy bios boot (like asus tech support says to me), no problem to boot from usb. The problem now is to reach the installation screen: osx installation always hang up (see my previous post)

Hi
If i post dsdt.aml
Someone can modd it?
Thanks

please help me, this ultrabook is crying!

Highly interested in this ultrabook. Anyone successfully installed Mac OS X on this ultrabook to share his/her experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

For you question see my previous post

Update....
I make a usb with unibeast for ML with laptop support and installer goes... (no argument is needed at the bootloader for problem try to change usb port or use single user mode)
I install it 2 time, first on "Data" partition that ASUS buit-in, but because is more difficult to install bootloader, i format all the hd with mbr and (using dd boot1h i install bootloader).
Now i copy the "Extra/Extensions" from usb stick to hdd and asus startup successful.

Now my problem is:
0. Intel HD 4000 8086:0166 (using Graphics Enabler) don't work. I think is needed device proprieties in chimera plist. (I also try to move predef. mem allocation in bios from 64mb to 256mb, or changing smbios.plist from mbp 8,1 9,2 or mba 5,2)
1. A right dsdt.aml (one of the first problem is that once booted connect deconnect usb stick don't work and freeze mac)
2. A driver for Audio (0x80861e20 0x1043108d)
3. Bluetooth work (i don't know after sleep)
4. Trackpad goes too fast and isn't precise
5. Wifi driver (mine is an Atheros ar9485 168c:0032) [I think i need to change it phisically]
6. Ethernet driver (mine is AR8162 1969:1090)
7. Touchscreen Driver
8. Webcam work
9. Battery driver
10. Processor recognized is intel i3 1,3mhz
I extract dsdt, some one wanna try to edit it?

I'm on desktop but not all work...
I need dsdt.aml and a guide for other think...

x mccoy88f

with a "stock" mountain lion usb stick created with unibeast (wtih or without laptop support, i tried both modes) and no boot flag the intallation process doesn't work (not even installation screen). I'm totally sure, i try dozen of times. In addition to that, i used variuos combination of boot flag without success (you can see them in my many posts).

Assuming that our ultrabook are the same model (asus vivobook s200e - ct178h), evidently you do something different from what you post.
To be clear, mine is not a critique (in the mess of my various installation attempts, sure i forget to write somethig in this blog...). I'ts just a observation, because this is obviously a deterministic procedure, and if works for you, should work for us...

x mccoy88f

with a "stock" mountain lion usb stick created with unibeast (wtih or without laptop support, i tried both modes) and no boot flag the intallation process doesn't work (not even installation screen). I'm totally sure, i try dozen of times. In addition to that, i used variuos combination of boot flag without success (you can see them in my many posts).

Assuming that our ultrabook are the same model (asus vivobook s200e - ct178h), evidently you do something different from what you post.
To be clear, mine is not a critique (in the mess of my various installation attempts, sure i forget to write somethig in this blog...). I'ts just a observation, because this is obviously a deterministic procedure, and if works for you, should work for us...

I made up an usb drive with Mac os x mountain lion on it, using Unibeast, and i successfully installed it without using any boot flag.
By the way, graphics drivers for intel hd 4000 aren't working (with the MultiBeast patch, as well); also sound and wireless aren't working, and after a restart, the keyboard stopped working :(

I have the S200E from Staples.com.
I got OS X 10.8.2 running dual boot with Win8. I'll post a guide when I have the time this weekend.
I have to use Clover as bootloader as it works the best for me.
I had to buy this wireless card + bluetooth combo on ebay for $10: ATHEROS AR5B195 TOSHIBA PA3894U-1MPC
There is no kext for the built-in card as I know.
What work for me:
- Track pad (only function as a mouse), can't get touch pad working as Windows yet. Need a kext driver for it.
- Keyboard
- Sleep
- Wireless - using the card I mentioned above.
- Ethernet
- My model has no bluetooth, so I have no bluetooth antenna. Not sure why, but sometimes it starts to work, most of the time it doesn't.
Even on Win8, bluetooth doesn't work very well for me. Maybe I need the antenna. Well I don't need bluetooth anyway.
- HD4000 - to get 512mb, I remember I updated something using auto update.
- Sound - doesn't sound as great as Win8 driver - but it's fine.
- CPU - 1.8 ghz
- RAM - show as 1333, but bus speed is only 400mhz - not sure if that's right or wrong.
- Most of Fn + F don't work (Sleep and Wifi work.)
- Touch screen don't work - I found a site that sells the driver, but it costs $200 :(.

first of all, thanks for the quick reply. My notebook has bluetooth, so easly we have two different sku. Can you check on the asus box the exact model you have? my is ct178h (I have bought mine in italy).
In addition to that, i note that i have downloaded from appstore mountain lion at day one (so this is a 10.8.0). Maybe you have bought it later and so you have an app with 10.8.2 inside. I don't know if apple update even the app on the appstore with the last version (and if this make any difference to the installation precess), but it's worth to try. Actually i'm downloading the new mountain lion app.

Here is the guide on how to install Mountain Lion on Asus S200E.
First of all, I have installed OS X on many laptops and PCs, and I found this laptop is extremely difficult to install OS X compared to others that I have used in the past.
It took me a good 2 weekends to get both Win8 and OS X 10.8.2 running on a Samsung 830 SSD.

+++ Please read everything before you start doing anything+++
All credits go to Clover creator and threads on osx86.net.

What you need:
+ Mountain Lion 10.8.0 app download from Apple app store
I am sure 10.8.2 also works, but I haven't try installing directly from 10.8.2
+ USB Flash Drive - 30mb is enough - Format as FAT32
Download this: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=40ACA7573BF56DA2!157
Extract "CloverFlashUSB.zip" and copy everything into this USB Drive root.
I will call this Clover USB
+ Windows 8 DVD - You don't need this if you are not going to replace the hard drive.
You don't need key - I found that Windows 8 will activate by itself with our asus laptop
+ Another USB Flash Drive - at least 8GB for UniBeast
Make an UniBeast with mountain lion and with Laptop support
I assume you all know this, so I won't go into detail for this.
+ External DVD - you don't need this if you don't replace the hard drive
+ Backup software - I use ghost - You don't need this if you don't replace the hard drive
+ ATHEROS AR5B195 half mini card for wireless - I got it for $10 on ebay

++Note: don't use USB 3.0 slot
++Note: Everytime you boot into Windows 8, make sure you shut down the laptop before booting using Clover, otherwise mouse (touch pad) is not usable
on OS X or OS X installation screen

1. Update your BIOS to Version 206 - 2012.12.12 update
You can find it on Asus Global English site - Search for X202E
Or just go here: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=X202E&os=8
You can use older bios if you want, but I had a hard time getting the FLash Drive to boot, and sometimes one of the USB slot doesn't work.
I think 206 version is the most stable one - so use it.
Note: if you can't boot from USB drive
- Go to BIOS
- Go to Boot
- Disable Fast Boot
- Enable Launch CSM
Go to Graphic setting in BIOS and change it to 64MB if you haven't done so. This will allow the HD4000 to work under OS X with the string in Clover config.plist
2. Skip to step 6 if you don't replace the hard drive
I used Ghost to backup the factory Win8 partition
3. Replace the original hard drive with SSD
4. Turn off security boot in BIOS in order to boot from new SSD
5. Install Windows 8
- Enable Fast Boot in BIOS if it's not - not sure if we need this, but I think it will help installing Windows 8 correctly with EFI bootloader.
- Create two partitions - one for Win8 and one for OS X (it also creates 3 other small partitions by itself, if you don't see this, something is wrong)
- Now install Win8 to the first partition
6. If you don't replace the hard drive, you can use the extra partition to install OS X there.
Plug in Clover USB and UniBeast
7. Boot from Clover USB (change setting BIOS to boot from Clover Flash Drive)
- Check config.plist in Clover USB:/EFI/
- boot parameter is -v slide=0 darkwake=0 WithKexts
- You can remove "-v" and "WithKexts" after you got OS X working.
- You can also change the options on Clover boot screen - "Options"
- You can also hit Space button on keyboard to open boot options on Clover boot screen.
- Look for this in config.plist
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>xxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
If you have a serial for 11" macbook air mid 2012, put it here.
- Now boot using Clover USB
- Choose Unibeast (Lion icon) and hit enter to boot into OS X installation.
- everything I included in the Clover USB should allow you to boot into OS X installation with mouse, keyboard, and working HD4000 for this laptop
If somehow you still get kernel panic, post a screenshot here or some detail, I might be able to help.
8. When you get into installation screen
- Don't install anything
- Open Terminal app.
- Type diskutil list and hit enter
- Scroll up and look for Microsoft EFI partition - in my case it's under disk 0 partition 2 -> disk0s2
- type mkdir /Volumes/EFI and hit enter
- type mount_msdos /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFI and hit enter (change "disk0s2" if it's different on your case)
- type cd /Volumes/EFI and hit enter
- mkdir /Volumes/YourCloverUSB/EFI/Microsoft (cd /Volumes and type ls to list all volumes if you need)
- type cp -rf /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft /Volumes/YourCloverUSB/EFI/Microsoft
This will copy Microsoft EFI boot to Clover USB.
You should have "Boot" in /Volumes/YourCloverUSB/EFI/Microsoft
- type umount -f /Volumes/EFI and hit enter (remember it's "umount" not "unmount")
- type rm -rf /Volumes/EFI and hit enter
You should backup this Microsoft folder somewhere.
9. Now reboot the laptop and see if you can boot into Windows 8 from clover USB
- boot using Clover USB
- Choose Windows 8 icon (the one with Windows 8 icon and a small white/silver stick at the right bottom)
It should say "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from"
- if you can boot into Windows 8 - go to step 10
10. Skip to 11 if you don't replace the hard drive.
Use backup software to restore Win8 partition from backup image of factory Windows 8
11. Boot into Windows 8
- Make an EFI folder under C:/ (Windows 8 partition)
- copy Microsoft folder from CloverUSB/EFI/
12. Now delete Microsoft folder from CloverUSB/EFI/, then check to see if you can boot into Win8 from Clover boot screen
Windows 8 icon now shouldn't have the small white/silver stick, but it should have a small hard disk image at the right bottom.
13. Installing OS X
- If you were on Win8, don't restart but you have to shutdown, then boot to OS X from Clover boot screen.
- Use Disk Utility to format the Partition that you want to install OS X on as "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" - first option
DON'T format the wrong partition
- Now start installing OS X - screen might go off during the installation - so stay with it and press a button or something to wake it up.
- When it's done - reboot
- Unplug Unibeast and boot into OS X
14. Create clover boot using Mac EFI partition
- Copy all apps from App_Kext\App to desktop
- Open EFI Tools Clover EN.app from desktop
- Type g and hit enter
- Follow the instruction to mount EFI partition
- To display EFI and other partition on Desktop
Click Finder-> Preferences -> Check "Hard disks"
- Open EFI partition from Desktop
- Open ShowHiddenFiles.app from desktop and show hidden files
- Copy EFI, en.lproj, etc, boot, boot1, boot3, and boot6 from Clover USB to EFI partition
- Delete kexts from EFI\kexts\10.8 (don't delete on Clover USB)
- Go back to EFI Tools Clover EN app type x to umount EFI partition.
- Open System Preferences/Software update and turn it off, you don't want to get update since this is Hackintosh.
- Copy all kexts in Clover USB \EFI\kexts\10.8 to desktop
You can also install ALXEthernet.kext from Clover USB App_Kext\Extrakext to get Ethernet working.
For Wireless you need to buy ATHEROS AR5B195 and install AirPortAtheros40.kext
- You need to reinstall this after installing update, otherwise it doesn't work correctly
- Open KextBeast to install
- Open Kext Utility and run it
15. Now restart and boot into OS X from Clover see if it works
16. Download 10.8.2 combo update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581
Install and reboot
17. Download update for HD4000 to get 512mb: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609
Install and reboot
18. Use kextbeast and kext Utility and install kexts in App_Kext\Extrakext (move them to desktop first)
19. Delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/
Copy VoodooHDA.prefPane to /System/Library/PreferencePanes
Copy VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app to /Applications
Open Users & Groups under System Preferences
Click Login Items - Add VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app there - this is used to save audio settings.
20. Reboot
21. Now you can open EFI partition and remove "-v" and "WithKexts"
22. Open System Preferences -> VoodooHDA at the bottom (Under Other)
Adjust Volumes for speakers and microphone there. Play something to test.
23. To prevent the time to be reset in bios.
Set BIOS time to UTC time.
- Set OS X and Win8 to your local time
- Add this to Win8 registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\TimeZoneInformation
Add "TimeZoneKeyName" ad DWORD 32bit and set to 1 in hexadecimal

Not sure if I missed anything, but that's all. Good luck!
If anyone finds a kext for USB 3.0 or touch screen, please share. Thanks.

VERY GOOD!!!
I haven't tried... but i will do that...

Also i want to tell that mine is S200E-CT178H

Loving the detail in your tutorial.

One question though. Any way of knowing if this will work on the Intel® Pentium B987 processor version? Or just the i3?
Appreciate there's better compatibility with the i3.

I haven't bought one yet, but my budget is crying to the slightly lower spec.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back