i7-6500U
Graphics
HD520
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the mentioned laptop, everything is fixed (except for wifi, i use a dongle, since the computer is under warranty). The only missing thing is the keyboard backlight. I tried with AsusNBFnKeys.kext without success. I can control the keyboard backlight in linux. I saw a similar post for a different laptop, and RehabMan made it work. I hope there's a fix for mine too :). Shouldn't be that hard to port from linux to macOS, since they're POSIX compatible (as far as i know).

Any help maybe?

Well, as far as I understand, keyboard backlight, while controlled by ACPI commands, still requires a driver to send those commands. And code for that, I suspect, isn't in AsusNBFnKeys, it's in ApplePS2SmartTouchpad, which wouldn't work on this laptop. OTOH there are reports of successfully enabling it with with only AsusNBFnKeys, but with other model – see here. It seems that customised DSDT patch is required, possibly requiring some reverse engineering.

And I have that flash at suspend/wake too. Don't think it could be useful. Backlight level is stored in nvram, probably it's read and reapplied at that moment.

I have the mentioned laptop, everything is fixed (except for wifi, i use a dongle, since the computer is under warranty).
On a side note – do you have problems with sleep/wake like me here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-k501uq-intermittent-reboot-at-wake.242931/ ? If not, could you please share your config? (I'm trying to set up 10.13, maybe I'll have more luck with 10.12)

Last edited:
I have the mentioned laptop, everything is fixed (except for wifi, i use a dongle, since the computer is under warranty). The only missing thing is the keyboard backlight. I tried with AsusNBFnKeys.kext without success. I can control the keyboard backlight in linux. I saw a similar post for a different laptop, and RehabMan made it work. I hope there's a fix for mine too :). Shouldn't be that hard to port from linux to macOS, since they're POSIX compatible (as far as i know).

Any help maybe?

FYI, I've got keyboard backlight working. See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-asus-k501uq-high-sierra.243518/#post-1673568

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back