Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390-Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX Vega 56
Hello all

I wanted to first thank @MacMan for his amazing build. I was really happy to have a Hackintosh with clover for a long time. However it was one day that I have decided to switch from Clover to OpenCore. I know people say you should not touch what ever works, so maybe I am crazy

Right so I need a bit of help with Catalina and OpenCore. It has been more than two weeks I have been stubbornly trying to replace clover with OC on Catalina and I keep running into a Kernel Panic with the same code >.<

Unfortunately I cannot do a clean install as I am using this Hackintosh for work. Using the latest version of OC.

I have tried to:
  1. try some different OC versions (out of furstration I dont remember which)
  2. disabled/enabled settings
  3. Tried custom DSDT patches
  4. Tried premade DSDT patches
  5. DSDT Patches from some EFI folders some of amazing guys in this forum provided.
  6. Double checked Bios Settings
  7. Did Voodoo
  8. Did Black magic
  9. Closed my eyes and prayed to go while it tried to boot
Nothing worked! So far OpenCore refuses to pass that Kernel Panic with the same Code. I feel the problem is not on the DSDT patches or the smBios (using iMac19,1).

Although it has kernel panic I can boot into Recovery via my current OpenCore. Any suggestions or Pointers? My Bios settings are all the same as in this Guide, Clover boots just fine, what could it be
:crazy:
:think:

I know there are a few things I need to add for Catalina like disabling the secure boot and the apfs -1 settings. I tried to search the some of the errors like ZN60S Kext but I can't seem to find anything. I hope someone from the community would be able to give some pointers:

Im using:
  • latest OpenCore 0.7.6
  • Catalina 10.15.7.
  • SSDTs: AWAC, EC-USBX-DESKTOP, PLUG-DRTNIA, PMC
  • Drivers: HfsPlus.efi, OpenCanopy.efi, OpenRuntime.efi
  • Kernel: Lily, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, SMCProcessor, SMCSuperIO, AppleALC
  • Using the Rx Vega not the iGPU for Display (in case that matters)
  • Boot flags: -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 igfxonln=1

I have also added the Kernel panic in case that would seem familiar

Hello all

I wanted to first thank @MacMan for his amazing build.

Right so I need a bit of help with Catalina and OpenCore. It has been more than two weeks I have been stubbornly trying to replace clover with OC on Catalina and I keep running into a Kernel Panic with the same code >.<

Unfortunately I cannot do a clean install as I am using this Hackintosh for work. Using the latest version of OC.

I have tried to:
  1. try some different OC versions (out of furstration I dont remember which)
  2. disabled/enabled settings
  3. Tried custom DSDT patches
  4. Tried premade DSDT patches
  5. DSDT Patches from some EFI folders some of you amazing guys provided.
  6. Voodoo
  7. Black magic
So far OpenCore refuses to pass that Kernel Panic with the same Code. I feel the problem is not on the DSDT patches or the smBios (using iMac19,1).

Although it has kernel panic I can boot into Recovery via my current OpenCore. Any suggestions or Pointers? My Bios settings are all the same as in this Guide, Clover boots just fine, what could it be
:crazy:
:think:

I know there are a few things I need to add for Catalina like disabling the secure boot and the apfs -1 settings. I tried to search the some of the errors like ZN60S Kext but I can't seem to find anything. I hope someone from the community would be able to give some pointers:

Im using:
  • latest OpenCore 0.7.6
  • Catalina 10.15.7.
  • SSDTs: AWAC, EC-USBX-DESKTOP, PLUG-DRTNIA, PMC
  • Drivers: HfsPlus.efi, OpenCanopy.efi, OpenRuntime.efi
  • Kernel: Lily, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, SMCProcessor, SMCSuperIO, AppleALC
  • Using the Rx Vega not the iGPU for Display (in case that matters)
  • Boot flags: -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 igfxonln=1

I have also added the Kernel panic in case that would seem familiar

zip and upload your OC folder

Here it is thanks again.

Edit: I have just checked and Hackintool says that I am using an older version of open core Strange. I am going to update to the latest open core and transfer my Configplist settings into the new release. Lets see.

Attachments

• attempt-29-EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 84
Here it is thanks again.

Edit: I have just checked and Hackintool says that I am using an older version of open core Strange. I am going to update to the latest open core and transfer my Configplist settings into the new release. Lets see.
not seeing anything too untoward

make sure to reset nvram when making any changes to your EFI

also make sure of your bios settings:

Disable:
Fast Boot
Secure Boot
Serial/COM Port
Parallel Port
VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
CSM
Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
Intel SGX
Intel Platform Trust
CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

Enable:
VT-x
Above 4G decoding
Hyper-Threading
Execute Disable Bit
EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or 128MB
SATA Mode: AHCI

also send upload new verbose output image

also to make sure you replace all needed files if you update your opencore version

Made sure I have all the options as you mentioned, reset nvram, bios settings check, updated to latest OpenCore with all the tricks yet still it doesn't seem to work I am getting exactly same Kernel Panic.

I tried to boot in Recovery and Recovery boots just fine. Is it that Recovery that uses less devices/different mode of the CPU?

Also although I have a custom skin Picker Mode: External, that doesn't seem to show rather I get the text only picker. Is this normal? Maybe that could be an indicator of something else?

Could it be the damn OS itself? But why wouldn't be how come Clover Boots just fine. :think:

I guess the last resort is to make a full backup Image copy of the drive and then try to jump into Monterey via Update Hoping that this would work.

Last edited:
Made sure I have all the options as you mentioned, reset nvram, bios settings check, updated to latest OpenCore with all the tricks yet still it doesn't seem to work I am getting exactly same Kernel Panic.

I tried to boot in Recovery and Recovery boots just fine. Is it that Recovery that uses less devices/different mode of the CPU?

Also although I have a custom skin Picker Mode: External, that doesn't seem to show rather I get the text only picker. Is this normal? Maybe that could be an indicator of something else?

Could it be the damn OS itself? But why wouldn't be how come Clover Boots just fine. :think:

I guess the last resort is to make a full backup Image copy of the drive and then try to jump into Monterey via Update Hoping that this would work.
need to see your panic image

need to see your panic image
Sorry, it is the exactly same Kernel Panic as the one already attached.

Edit: I tried to do the same with the latest clover and the kernel panic indicates the same kexts which have a problem (mach_kernel). Do we know anything about a _ZN60SKext ?

IMG_MJL_-Pixus-_20211225_111853364.jpg

Edit2: I have surpassed this error by changing my selecting new SMbios from clover configurator and just replacing with my old serial. Last loaded kext virtualSMC...

I am now getting this (see spoiler)
IMG_MJL_-Pixus-_20211225_113318087.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshot 2021-12-25 at 12.00.23.png

These two do the same job and are mutually exclusive.
Suggest you remove FakeSMC.kext.

View attachment 537820

These two do the same job and are mutually exclusive.
Suggest you remove FakeSMC.kext.
Thanks @P1LGRIM, I have removed the kext (which seemed to be from an old EFI folder and things booted just fine.

After a little bit of digging and 100+ reboots I have managed to make OpenCore work!!
  1. When I switched into the newest clover, I noticed the same kernelpanic which mentioned the "_ZN60SKext"
  2. Upon Clover load, it would return some warning, that my SMBios should have been later year not earlier or at least something like that.
  3. The Serial and couple of other SMBios settings were a copy from the old config.plist. I didn't want a new serial as I couldn't be bothered re-auth everything (since the serial would change). Rather copied all these values from the old config.plist into the new (mega mistake it seems)
  4. Anyway I selected to generate an SMbios for iMac 19.1 and then replaced JUST the serial, System UUID and MLB.
  5. Clover then ran into the FakeSMC error. The Kext was from the old working clover folder.
  6. Removed the kext as per @P1LGRIM advice and the newest clover booted up!
  7. Then it hit me! Could the _ZN60SKext error, be an error in the SMBios?
  8. I opened the config.plist with OpenCore Configurator and did the similar: select SMBios from dropdown iMac 19.1. Replaced only serial, etc
  9. Switched EFI folder and VOILA! OpenCore 0.7.6 botted just fine!!
Thanks for the help so far you guys provided, I am writing this for the _ZN60SKext in case someone else stumbled upon this Kernel panic. It is Just wierd SMbios settings OpenCore couldn't pick up rather Clover did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back