Contribute
Register

ASUS ThunderboltEX II PCIe Expansion Card - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same mobo as you, I think (x99 deluxe), and the thunderbolt card is in the the one x4 slot, yes. I've only got the one video card, so that's probably not the issue. It's in x16 slot 3, as suggested by the manual.

I did did a complete reinstall last night, to 10.10.1 via the blended Unibeast installer/clover bootloader method, and the thunderbolt card is still recognized by windows, but still no go with the Mac. The error number changed, but was the same otherwise, with the computer crashing out at missing Bluetooth controller support. I tried disabling Bluetooth and wifi from the bios to see of that fixed it, but no dice.

I hate to say this, but the only folks who I know of who are still having lots of substantial problem are those with the 5960. Hmm.... you don't have 5960K? you have "x"...?? Those people who are having better luck (like myself) have 5930K or 5820K. I know that doesn't help you now, but it could point to a possible root cause.

I'd try removing the TB card for now. See if you can get your build up & running that way, then add the card. Or is that how you did your fresh install last night? Also, how are you doing your dual-boot with Windows?

I hate to say this, but the only folks who I know of who are still having lots of substantial problem are those with the 5960. Hmm.... you don't have 5960K? you have "x"...?? Those people who are having better luck (like myself) have 5930K or 5820K. I know that doesn't help you now, but it could point to a possible root cause.

I'd try removing the TB card for now. See if you can get your build up & running that way, then add the card. Or is that how you did your fresh install last night? Also, how are you doing your dual-boot with Windows?

The 5960 is the extreme edition processor, hence the X designation instead of the K.

The computer boots just fine, until I plug the thunderbolt drive in. Same thing happened on the previous install.

Dual boot is is being handled by Clover.

Nevermind, I figured it out. I realized that BoomR had done all of his testing with the Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor, and so I figured that might be the solution to my problem, instead of using a hard drive of unknown provenance. And it was! I bought an adaptor, got it recognized in Windows, and then switched to Legacy Mode/128, booted into Yosemite, and bob's your uncle.

Nevermind, I figured it out. I realized that BoomR had done all of his testing with the Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor, and so I figured that might be the solution to my problem, instead of using a hard drive of unknown provenance. And it was! I bought an adaptor, got it recognized in Windows, and then switched to Legacy Mode/128, booted into Yosemite, and bob's your uncle.

Odd - I thought the 5829, 5930, and 5960 were all "Extreme"...due to the naming convention: Haswell-E. The letter after the model # typically refers to something else (like no letter = locked & can't overclock, k=unlocked & can overclock, etc.). But no worries - all good! :)

Glad you got it working. FWIW, I was testing with a whole collection of TB adapters & devices, starting with the Apple TB > FW adapter, but also successfully tested with Apple TB > Ethernet, the Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex, and the Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Dock. All of them worked on both the Windows side as well as Mac of course (even though the hard drives weren't technically readable, they at least showed up in Win8's TB control panel/settings).

The only thing I haven't tried to test yet is my Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder ....

I'm curious - I'm considering one of these builds, does the ThunderboltEX II card with the gpu connected to the display in (I'm looking at the NVidia GTX 980) work? I currently use a Apple Thunderbolt display on my existing build, but I would really like to move to something where I can really use a discreet card under OSX, windows and Linux (instead of the Intel HD for OSX and Linux and VirtuMVP for windows)

I'm curious - I'm considering one of these builds, does the ThunderboltEX II card with the gpu connected to the display in (I'm looking at the NVidia GTX 980) work? I currently use a Apple Thunderbolt display on my existing build, but I would really like to move to something where I can really use a discreet card under OSX, windows and Linux (instead of the Intel HD for OSX and Linux and VirtuMVP for windows)

No idea, sorry. I'm using DVI & DP with my monitor.

Hey BoomR
Does your audio work with Thunderbolt activated, How did you get it to work?

Hey BoomR
Does your audio work with Thunderbolt activated, How did you get it to work?

I don't have a TB-based audio device, so can't really answer that. BUT if you are asking me if my motherboard's on-board audio is working with the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card activate, the answer is yes.

Hi Tony boomR or anyone
some how i loose all audio when my drives are connected via firewire to thunderbolt cable. I see the drive on desk top and can access content but will only get audio back when i reboot without drives.

Hi Tony boomR or anyone
some how i loose all audio when my drives are connected via firewire to thunderbolt cable. I see the drive on desk top and can access content but will only get audio back when i reboot without drives.

What is your audio source? on-board audio? Firewire audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back