Contribute
Register

ASUS ThunderboltEX II PCIe Expansion Card - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same card with Asus x99 mb. It's been working but recently the TB external HDD that I connect it to will randomly eject itself. I turned off all power savings mode on the HDD and computer. Anyone having the same problem and know a fix to it?

So, which Z170 motherboards could work with this adapter?

I want to use my Apple Thunderbolt Display with socket1151 motherboard. (Maybe 2011-3 socket if it would be easier for TB1/TB2 port)

So, which Z170 motherboards could work with this adapter?

I want to use my Apple Thunderbolt Display with socket1151 motherboard. (Maybe 2011-3 socket if it would be easier for TB1/TB2 port)
Better to check the specs of the motherboard - if it has the 5-pin Thunderbolt header, then the mobo is compatible. I don't think ASUS is keeping the Web site updated with the newest motherboards compatible with the ThuderboltEX-II/II Dual cards. If the mobo has the header (see call-out #3 on the image below for ASUS Z170-Deluxe, for example), then you can use the TB card.
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.08.27 PM.png

Has anyone tried this card with Gigabyte motherboard? Is it worth it?

Has anyone tried this card with Gigabyte motherboard? Is it worth it?
Search this thread, and you'll find your answer.

I have problems with eyes now, so I can't read a lot, sorry... That's why I'm asking for definite answer.
I started to read topic, and remember that someone used Asug in GB or vice versa, but he had some problems. I couldn't read the whole topic...

Im interested after the whole day testing, maybe there are people who's getting stuck at the same point.
The Asus ThunderboltEXII Dual card worked always for me on my Asus X99 Deluxe II system (@ PCIEX16_5 )

I have connected with a TB2 cable my LG 34UM95-P and the other port with a TB2->Firewire adapter my Motu 828 FW soundcard

Now I get my second GTX Titan X, my sound card don't get recognized anymore but the graphics are still working.
I have tried a lot of hours ever PCIEX16 combination what is possible, but only when im using one GPU it's working as always !?

Are there people who have experience with the Asus TB card and a thunderbolt PCIE expansion like Sonnet, Magma, etc.
So maybe its a solution to use a PCI-E expansion with a PCIe firewire card to connect the Motu sound card..

Last edited:
Im interested after the whole day testing, maybe there are people who's getting stuck at the same point.
The Asus ThunderboltEXII Dual card worked always for me on my Asus X99 Deluxe II system (@ PCIEX16_5 )

I have connected with a TB2 cable my LG 34UM95-P and the other port with a TB2->Firewire adapter my Motu 828 FW soundcard

Now I get my second GTX Titan X, my sound card don't get recognized anymore but the graphics are still working.
I have tried a lot of hours ever PCIEX16 combination what is possible, but only when im using one GPU it's working as always !?

Are there people who have experience with the Asus TB card and a thunderbolt PCIE expansion like Sonnet, Magma, etc.
So maybe its a solution to use a PCI-E expansion with a PCIe firewire card to connect the Motu sound card..
You might find that a less expensive alternative is to get a PCIe FW card. This one works OoB for pretty much everyone that has this card (including myself).

Just curious - I'm assuming that you're doing some intense gaming on the same system that you do your music - and this is why the 2nd GPU is needed? I would think that a single Titan X is WAY more video card than you'll ever need simply for a DAW running Pro Tools/Logic/Digital Performer/Reaper, etc.

You might find that a less expensive alternative is to get a PCIe FW card. This one works OoB for pretty much everyone that has this card (including myself).

Just curious - I'm assuming that you're doing some intense gaming on the same system that you do your music - and this is why the 2nd GPU is needed? I would think that a single Titan X is WAY more video card than you'll ever need simply for a DAW running Pro Tools/Logic/Digital Performer/Reaper, etc.

Hey BoomR

Thanks for the answer, I already own that PCIe FW card it's indeed a good solution and work's OOB
The problem was, I got a second M.2 SSD with a PCIe card but don't reach the full R/W speed in the PCIe slot (Gen2)

So im gonna use the Syba FW card again for using my Motu 828 + UAD FW :thumbup:
Beside for producing music as my hobby, and the idea with this hardware sometimes gaming ( mostly on PS4 :lolno::silent: )

The reason im using 2 Titan X GPU's is because im doing for my work web, graphics, video, 3D rendering/editing..
And using LG 34 + 29 / 2x 4K monitors / Wacom Cintiq 24HD / 4K TV Monitor

The most screens im using on my second GPU for not to load my first GPU which the system and most applications using..

But for the information for everyone when I use a double GPU the Asus ThunderboltEX II don't connect my audio card.
Or maybe there is a solution for this problem or otherwise people know they don't have to try this..

As I read trough this topic every page, im seeing some people who did have also problem with loading a HDD RAID enclosure..

And im spare also for the WD Mybook Pro (TB2) and for a Sonnet PCIe expansion for daisy chaining them on my system.
So I was curious if there are people here they have experience with the ThunderboltEX II and a PCIe expansion ?

Last edited:
Hey BoomR

Thanks for the answer, I already own that PCIe FW card it's indeed a good solution and work's OOB
The problem was, I got a second M.2 SSD with a PCIe card but don't reach the full R/W speed in the PCIe slot (Gen2)

So im gonna use the Syba FW card again for using my Motu 828 + UAD FW :thumbup:
Beside for producing music as my hobby, and the idea with this hardware sometimes gaming ( mostly on PS4 :lolno::silent: )

The reason im using 2 Titan X GPU's is because im doing for my work web, graphics, video, 3D rendering/editing..
And using LG 34 + 29 / 2x 4K monitors / Wacom Cintiq 24HD / 4K TV Monitor

The most screens im using on my second GPU for not to load my first GPU which the system and most applications using..

But for the information for everyone when I use a double GPU the Asus ThunderboltEX II don't connect my audio card.
Or maybe there is a solution for this problem or otherwise people know they don't have to try this..

As I read trough this topic every page, im seeing some people who did have also problem with loading a HDD RAID enclosure..

And im spare also for the WD Mybook Pro (TB2) and for a Sonnet PCIe expansion for daisy chaining them on my system.
So I was curious if there are people here they have experience with the ThunderboltEX II and a PCIe expansion ?
I've the same motherboard...i use a samsung 960pro m2 nvme with the pci express card you have in the box. I've full speed in r/w operations. I've too a firewire card, a thunderboltex dual installed and i've no problems at all....here is how i installed my pci-e cards:
1 slot (near cpu) is empty because i've a Noctua fan;
2 slot with firewire card;
3 slot with thunderboltex II dual
4 and 5 with gpu card (gtx 680)
6 with pci-e Hyper M2 card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back