Contribute
Register

ASUS ThunderboltEX II PCIe Expansion Card - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see my tb cardo too in TB devices...there is no way to see it there? I mean, by kext modify or something other like putting ID device of the card in some config file?

Hey guys,

I just got the ThunderboltEX2 Dual card and I'm having issues with making it work.

I'm on a Gigabyte Z170X UD3 mobo and the first time I've plugged it in I saw it in BIOS, saw it in device manager in windows, saw it in system profiler in OSX, only that if I connected any thunderbolt device, it wouldn't work.

I figured I'd update the firmware. The firmware it had before was v21, i thought I'd update to v28.

Did the update in windows, suddenly the card is not seen in BIOS at all.

If I enable the "TBT USB3.1 Force Power" in BIOS, it ends up seeing it in windows, I tried updating the FW again and it shows up that the FW version is now v16. It seems like it's stuck on that FW somehow.

Any ideas?

Hey guys,

I just got the ThunderboltEX2 Dual card and I'm having issues with making it work.

I'm on a Gigabyte Z170X UD3 mobo and the first time I've plugged it in I saw it in BIOS, saw it in device manager in windows, saw it in system profiler in OSX, only that if I connected any thunderbolt device, it wouldn't work.

I figured I'd update the firmware. The firmware it had before was v21, i thought I'd update to v28.

Did the update in windows, suddenly the card is not seen in BIOS at all.

If I enable the "TBT USB3.1 Force Power" in BIOS, it ends up seeing it in windows, I tried updating the FW again and it shows up that the FW version is now v16. It seems like it's stuck on that FW somehow.

Any ideas?

Update : Installed BIOS F21, tried many options and couldn't get it to work.

Then I thought - what if I just disconnect the TB header? I did that, restarted and I can see my TB devices. This is weird. At least they work. I can't see any TB devices in system profiler but I see the the TB hard drive under storage.

UPDATE : It only works if I boot in windows first, then in OSX. If I boot into OSX first, thunderbolt in system profiler says "No hardware" and if I boot in windows first then in OSX, it says "No drivers are loaded"

Last edited:
Thunderbolt EXII/Dual is made by ASUS. Ithe only works on ASUS motherboards. You said you had Gigabyte mobo, so t h at is why you are having problrms...

Thunderbolt EXII/Dual is made by ASUS. Ithe only works on ASUS motherboards. You said you had Gigabyte mobo, so t h at is why you are having problrms...

I understand that, but it does actually work. With BIOS F21 and the TB header disconnected.

It only works in OSX when booting to windows first.

I understand that, but it does actually work. With BIOS F21 and the TB header disconnected.

It only works in OSX when booting to windows first.

Just note that it's only designed to work with supported ASUS motherboards (the X99 and Z170 series boards with the TB header built-in to the mobo). So that's why you probably didn't get a lot of help in your unsupported mobo/card configuration. Glad to hear that you figured out how to get it to work. FWIW, that's the process with **any** mobo with built-in TB or these add-in cards: You must install Windows & activate it via the Windows drivers, etc **first** before it will function in OS X.

Hi guys,

I'm running an ASUS ThunderboltEX II card with an Asus x99 e-ws and a 5960x . I have the weird problem that after I boot into Sierra, I have to do a restart of the system that Thunderbolt work properly or be recognized. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do? Also just one of the two TB slots are working

In advanced: Onboard Devices config:

PCIEX16_2Slot(black Bandwith: Auto

Serial Port Configuration: Disabled

In advanced: intel thunderbolt config:

Intel thunderbolt tech: Enabled

security level: Legacy Mode

wake from thunderbolt devices: Off

thunderbolt usb support: Enabled

thunderbolt boot support: Disabled

AIC support: On

AR AIC support: On

AIC location group: SB PCIE Slot

AIC location: SB PCIE16_2

GPIO3 force power: Off

Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr: 200

thunderbolt PCIe Cache-line size: 128

SMI/notify support: On

SwSMI Support: On

notify support: On

Ignore Thunderbolt Option Rom: On

Thunderbolt SwSMI Delay: '0'

TBT Device IO resource Support: On

Reserved Mem per phy slot: 32

Reserved PMem per phy slot: 32

Reserved IO per phy slot: 4

Thanks for your help ;)

Well ultimately I've updated back to F21 and got it to be stable.

The ThunderboltEX2 works nicely (without the TB header connected) both in windows and OSX.

What's interesting is that it survives restarts - I don't have to go back to windows to activate it but I don't think it survives complete shut-downs. Sleep working fine as well.

UPDATE : It also survives shutdown.

Last edited:
Ehy Guys,
after months of use with z97a and ex dual II card and focusrite clarett8 pre (with sierra) I'm having strange problems:

-my audiocard works well but randomly sometimes loses clock and i have to switch manually to internal
- sometimes with different audio applications opened together i have some static or dropouts

Anyone has experencied this problems with audioboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back