RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HycZYeH2idOAdPHM_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
Looks like ASUS's ThunderboltEX 3 add-in card will be available to purchase separately very soon. Until recently, ASUS listed the ThunderboltEX II as the only Thunderbolt add-in card that offers connectivity for motherboards supporting Thunderbolt.

The card provides up to 40Gbps transfer speeds, USB 3.1, and up to 36w charging power. It connects to an on-board Thunderbolt header and allows 1 USB 3.1 Type-C, 1 USB 3.1 Type-A, and 1 Mini-Display port in connection.

Source: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Accessories/ThunderboltEX-3/

As of this time/date, B&H Photo/Video (USA) has it for $70 USD with free shipping.

Here's the motherboards it supports:
Z170-PREMIUM
Z170-DELUXE
Z170-PRO
Z170-A
Z170-AR
SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1
SABERTOOTH Z170 S
MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME
MAXIMUS VIII HERO
MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
X99-DELUXE II
X99-DELUXE
X99-PRO/USB 3.1
X99-PRO
X99-A/USB 3.1
X99-A
X99-A II
X99-E
SABERTOOTH X99
RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1
RAMPAGE V EXTREME

Reference: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Accessories/ThunderboltEX-3/specifications/

I assume Broadwell-E is not required to make this work as I don't see that listed anywhere. If so that is neat!

I can tell you that MyHero is on the above list and it's a LDA 1151 socket motherboard using an i7-6700K processor. So, no, you don't need a Boradwell-E to use the card.

has anyone got this working on z170-a will not boot with the 2022 bios with an i7 6700k

I know my motherboard isn't listed on the compatibility list but I'm having trouble understanding why it wouldn't be compatible- it's the Asus p8z68-v. Any reason why it wouldn't work?

Yup, bios support. Very likely that only the boards on their compatibility listing have received a bios update that supports this card.

I know my motherboard isn't listed on the compatibility list but I'm having trouble understanding why it wouldn't be compatible- it's the Asus p8z68-v. Any reason why it wouldn't work?
Sandy Bridge chipset doesn't support ThunderBolt.

HycZYeH2idOAdPHM_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png
Looks like ASUS's ThunderboltEX 3 add-in card will be available to purchase separately very soon. Until recently, ASUS listed the ThunderboltEX II as the only Thunderbolt add-in card that offers connectivity for motherboards supporting Thunderbolt.

The card provides up to 40Gbps transfer speeds, USB 3.1, and up to 36w charging power. It connects to an on-board Thunderbolt header and allows 1 USB 3.1 Type-C, 1 USB 3.1 Type-A, and 1 Mini-Display port in connection.

Source: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Accessories/ThunderboltEX-3/
I have Asus Z170-A motherboard. If I buy this card can use thunderbolt without any kext modification?

I have Asus Z170-A motherboard. If I buy this card can use thunderbolt without any kext modification?

I have 6 z170-A motherboards with the newest bios 2202 and I can not get the thunderbolt 2 or 3 cards to work I have tried a lot of hardware configurations when you turn on thunderbolt in the bios the PC will not boot if you put it in PCI slot one you have to reset CMOS to get a boot. It is sad the Asus list this board as working with the 3 card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back