Contribute
Register

ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 - Does that work OOB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi
CPU
Intel i9 9900K
Graphics
Intel UHD 630 / Nvidia 3080 - Disabled on MacOS
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. LC
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As per subject. I see no reason why it shouldn't work with Sierra, but I just wanted to hear your opinion.

I've had it working for a couple months, but yes it has cause problems during boot - which appears in the form of a 'no entrance' sign approx 1/2 of bootup attempts.

To my understanding it is a problem with the Clover Bootloader - as it occurs with the ThunderboltEX II as well, but not in the same system when using Chimera.

I've had it working for a couple months, but yes it has cause problems during boot - which appears in the form of a 'no entrance' sign approx 1/2 of bootup attempts.

To my understanding it is a problem with the Clover Bootloader - as it occurs with the ThunderboltEX II as well, but not in the same system when using Chimera.

Interesting. Do you think it may also depend from some imperfect BIOS? Perhaps with a BIOS update the problem may be fixed.

Did it show up in System Profiler anyway?

I got my Apollo Twin running thru it. It didn't show up in System Information, but did show up in Audio Devices. I posted my results .

Well done! Do you also get sporadic boot crashes?
If I enable it yes. I replaced OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi based on GoingBald's suggestion and it seemed to help, but I reverted the change when I realized that the Apollo Twin works even with Thunderbolt disabled in BIOS.

Sounds like OSX will enable it anyhow then.. Well, that's very good news! But that leaves 2 questions:

- Does the card work in Windows too if it's not activated in BIOS?

- Did you need to activate the card the first time on Windows to get it to work on MacOS?

Cheers, you're being of great help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back