Contribute
Register

Asus' Thunderbolt add-in card, ASRock's Thunderbolt motherboard don't pass certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse any ignorance on my behalf - I just started reading into this technology a few nights ago - If ASRock and Asus were denied cert - how did Gigabyte fair? It seems from my reading up that Gigabyte mobo's are generally favoured for hackintosh's (not all of them of course). Can any of the recently released Gigabyte mobo's support integrated and discrete graphics switching? It seems that Apple already has that implemented in most of their higher end laptops and maybe even the imacs (not entirely sure about that tbh), so I could only imagine that a compromise or something close to it will be achieved for us in the near future (im just pulling stuff out of my butt)

so, as I understand, nobody besides intel could push graphics through the thunderbolt pipe. we are to expect that
graphic cards with thunderbolt port will not allow access to PCI? damn these stupid proprietary rules.

imho, it is more of a licensing issue, rather than hardware.

Not quite, but Intel will only allow discrete graphics cards to do it via the PCI Express bus, so either it's wired up that way internally (notebook, all-in-one) or you have to use a software like VirtuMVP in Windows which takes the display output from the graphics card and pushes it over the PCI Express bus to the Thunderbolt controller.

Excuse any ignorance on my behalf - I just started reading into this technology a few nights ago - If ASRock and Asus were denied cert - how did Gigabyte fair? It seems from my reading up that Gigabyte mobo's are generally favoured for hackintosh's (not all of them of course). Can any of the recently released Gigabyte mobo's support integrated and discrete graphics switching? It seems that Apple already has that implemented in most of their higher end laptops and maybe even the imacs (not entirely sure about that tbh), so I could only imagine that a compromise or something close to it will be achieved for us in the near future (im just pulling stuff out of my butt)

The issue is related to two specific products, all available Thunderbolt motherboards are certified.
As for OS X, there's currently no way that we can feed the discrete graphics card signal out through the Thunderbolt ports.
However, as I mentioned in my reply above, VirtuMVP allows it to be done in Windows.
Apple has their own solution and as they don't have any systems with add-in discrete graphics cards that also features Thunderbolt, Apple's solution might not be adaptable to our needs.

Article: Asus' Thunderbolt add-in card, ASRock's Thunderbolt motherboard don't pass certification

so, as I understand, nobody besides intel could push graphics through the thunderbolt pipe. we are to expect that
graphic cards with thunderbolt port will not allow access to PCI? damn these stupid proprietary rules.

Help:confused:, I have ordered an Asus G55vw for the thunderbolt port. Only certain models have a thunderbolt sticker that per gamers republic said it is a legit thunderbolt port. I'm really confused is this not accurate as I need to use the laptop for processing uncompressed HD footage for an upcoming shoot, and need to sort this ..
This is from the Republic of Gamers site in... What you are sauing is that the port is not a true thunderbolt port and is there a work around via a laptop or i have to go get a MAC but where do the Mac technology also become false?
Please help? my shoot soon and need to cancel my order ..i don't know, thanx
[h=1]The G55VW Gets Intel Thunderbolt[/h] G Series Laptops · 08 Jun, 2012 · 6,968 views
· written by MarshallR · ROG HQ

Good news everyone! The G55VW has been given the thumbs up for its Intel Thunderbolt upgrade and is good to go! They will be available from July in select regions, complementing the standard G55′s already on the market.
The G55VW design doesn’t change across all models, as Thunderbolt is provided via the mini-DisplayPort. If you’re unfamiliar with what Thunderbolt can do, the hardware can daisy-chain up to seven high-performance devices on its 10Gbps cable and still includes enough space to carry display data for additional DisplayPort monitors along the way.
Please see this thread if you have further questions about G55s with Thunderbolt.

That's really disappointing. I have the ASUS ThunderboltEX Dual and it works great. Intel needs to loosen up and allow companies to do this or less and less people are gonna even want to go near it.

What did you mean?! Any Graphic Card with Thunderbolt out should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back