Contribute
Register

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 System freezes and occational kernel panics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
Intel i7-4790 3.60Mhz
4 x Ram Kingston 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3 Fury
Zotac GTX970
PNY 240GB SDD

First of all i want to thank to everyone on this forum, it's been an incredible help (if not the most reliable one) and a great learning expereience and i apologize in advance if my english is not perfect.

I managed to install osx on my first try with UniBeast, i only had to use the nv_disable=1 boot flag, i got sound working but not so sure about my USB 3.0 ports (i don't know how to check that). I downloaded the nvidia drivers and everything seemed to be ok, but after a second restart my loading screen with the apple logo was all jagged up and distorted but it loaded the os anyway, after 15 minutes working it freezed completely, there was no activity on my SSD hardrive so i had to hard reboot (thing i really hate to do). I restarted with -f and -nvda_drv=1, i had the same issue with the loading screen, but no freezes, but the thins is that 50% of my reboots end up in kernel panics. I haven't tried to set my RAM speed to 1600mhz yet, the kernel panics were not related to it i think and i don't have that info right now with me. So i came across an instalation method using UniBeast to install OSX and Clover for the post install process. I want to give this a try, but i need help with the kext files and some guidance on the installation, i know this kext files are very important but i don't have a clue on wich one is the right for my particular system, i've seen a lot of guides with Gigabyte motherboards but i would like to know if someone have had tried this method with an Asus 9 series motherboard. Any other tip will be very much appreciated also.

Thanks guys! :D:D:D:D:D

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
Intel i7-4790 3.60Mhz
4 x Ram Kingston 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3 Fury
Zotac GTX970
PNY 240GB SDD

First of all i want to thank to everyone on this forum, it's been an incredible help (if not the most reliable one) and a great learning expereience and i apologize in advance if my english is not perfect.

I managed to install osx on my first try with UniBeast, i only had to use the nv_disable=1 boot flag, i got sound working but not so sure about my USB 3.0 ports (i don't know how to check that). I downloaded the nvidia drivers and everything seemed to be ok, but after a second restart my loading screen with the apple logo was all jagged up and distorted but it loaded the os anyway, after 15 minutes working it freezed completely, there was no activity on my SSD hardrive so i had to hard reboot (thing i really hate to do). I restarted with -f and -nvda_drv=1, i had the same issue with the loading screen, but no freezes, but the thins is that 50% of my reboots end up in kernel panics. I haven't tried to set my RAM speed to 1600mhz yet, the kernel panics were not related to it i think and i don't have that info right now with me. So i came across an instalation method using UniBeast to install OSX and Clover for the post install process. I want to give this a try, but i need help with the kext files and some guidance on the installation, i know this kext files are very important but i don't have a clue on wich one is the right for my particular system, i've seen a lot of guides with Gigabyte motherboards but i would like to know if someone have had tried this method with an Asus 9 series motherboard. Any other tip will be very much appreciated also.

Thanks guys! :D:D:D:D:D

From your description of the problem of " kernel panics and system freezes" , I don't get the sense that the cause is related to your Bootloader Chimera/Chameleon and can be solved using a different boot loader -Clover. In fact it might cause new problems to surface.

My suggestions at this stage are as follows:

• List the Driver choices you had made in Multibeast 7.3 after installing OS X Yosemite on your hard disk. Is it OS X 10.10 or 10.10.1 , 10.10.2 or the latest 10.10.3?
  • I have assumed you have installed Chimera 4.1.0 from Multibeast.
  • List the drivers for your Audio, Ethernet and Graphics and Displays located via Apple>About This Mac>System Report....>Hardware> Click Devices on the Left Panel and Details on the Right Panel of:
    • Audio
    • Ethernet Cards
    • Graphics & Displays
    • USB
  • The above will tell you what drivers have already been installed and working and what devices need your attention to download and install their kexts .
  • Your Motherboard Specifications on Web site can give you the name of Chipsets.
  • Finding Kexts for those chipsets requires research.
  • Upload a Copy of your current org.chameleon.Boot.plist [Your Yosemite HD>Extra>...] Open with TextEdit
  • Unexpected freezes can result from wrong BIOS settings . So List the currently accepted BIOS Settings
Good luck

Thanks a lot for that, as soon as i get home i'll try a new installation and i'll check everything again, i'll report back hopefully from a working and stable system. Thanks again!

Hi I have the same motherboard and processor as you I was wondering if you had any luck on fixing the random system freezes and kernel panics. At this point I can't even reinstall Yosemite because it just goes to the kernel panic screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back