Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6770M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, I am in the midst of completing a major video project for a client and I need a new workstation. After researching the forums, I am ready to buy a x79 2011 socket system today. I have chosen the following. Please leave feedback before I pull the trigger.

ok, looks good! you want to go with the nvidia card if this is your first hackintosh. nvidia cards are much more compatible than amd 7xxx cards. all you have to do is install the right drivers in multibeast and you should be good to go. for your motherboard, do some research on it. Find people who have used it. they also show their multibeast settings. (normally) for cooling, I have a h80i and i like it very much. my cpu idles at about 64ºF. (I have no clue how hot it gets under load) it is a very quite cooler and very effective. it comes with two corsair sp 120's and thermal paste pre-applied. if this computer is a workstation, are you sure the computer needs that much cpu? An i7 3770k might be plenty of oomph for less money. maybe go with a 3770k and then go with a gtx 680. if this computer is for movie production, a more powerful graphics card will be worth the money. anyway, thats my two cents, good luck!:thumbup:

You bring up a good point. I currently have a quad core 2.5 ghz i7 Mac Book with 16gb ram, dual solid states and it is not powerful enough for my needs. I'm not interested in future proofing, I need a well built machine that will perform for importing and logging of media. The current Mac Pro is not powerful enough as a dedicated editing machine for me but maybe it will be replaced soon at WWDC 2013. 2011 is not an Apple used socket so maintaining it and dealing with updates is a concern for me.

I plan to combine high quality hdd's for storage with fast ssd's for my scratch workspace. I believe I need a powerful CPU for h264 multi cam edits and rendering edits quickly. How much of the GPU does FCP X utilize? I know Adobe does with CUDA. If this hackintosh does not work out I could always use....Windows to edit but that is giving up. I am born to win.

You bring up a good point. I currently have a quad core 2.5 ghz i7 Mac Book with 16gb ram, dual solid states and it is not powerful enough for my needs. I'm not interested in future proofing, I need a well built machine that will perform for importing and logging of media. The current Mac Pro is not powerful enough as a dedicated editing machine for me but maybe it will be replaced soon at WWDC 2013. 2011 is not an Apple used socket so maintaining it and dealing with updates is a concern for me.

I plan to combine high quality hdd's for storage with fast ssd's for my scratch workspace. I believe I need a powerful CPU for h264 multi cam edits and rendering edits quickly. How much of the GPU does FCP X utilize? I know Adobe does with CUDA. If this hackintosh does not work out I could always use....Windows to edit but that is giving up. I am born to win.

5 months late Id suppose, but FCPX specifications state an OpenCL supported GPU - which is where Radeon excels.

7970 is around $300 3GB DDR5 384bit 200x (more than 2000) stream processors
7950 $200 3GB DDR5 384 bit 1786 (+/-) stream processors - two of these would cost you $400

If you use an NVIDIA card it might not work so well, the API is what determines the GPU you need. If your GPU doesnt support your softwares API it will be useless for the application.

FCPX, M5, C4 = OpenCL

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back