Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Got a new 4930k for my development machine to replace a 3820. It's nice. Updated the BIOS a week or so ago in anticipation. Install was pretty straightforward and it runs fast in Windows. I've had it stable at 4.5ghz on aircooling (didn't try to go higher), hitting 23,000+ on Geekbench 3. Currently keeping it at 3.8ghz, which gives me a score of 21,015. Pretty awesome.

No luck yet booting into OS X. I installed 10.8.5 before popping the new chip in and had no issues. On boot I get through everything normally, and then a black screen. This happens on a new install and my old one. No kernel panics. I've tried an assortment of bootflags, all variants of what I initially used to install ML:

-v npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0

I've tried 0x2000 instead of 0x3000, PCIRootUID 1 instead of 0. I've tried with -x and with DSDT = No. All the same result.

I wonder if this is something with graphics and not the CPU but I'm not sure.

Hopefully we can get this thing up and running before the Mac Pro comes out.

Anyone else?

I have an ASUS P9X79WS and was wondering about 10.8.5 (especially if it backports some of the nicer stability aspects of 10.9 w/ regard to the X79 and LGA2011).

I haven't tried it yet, but I did notice that it was listed it will take your NVidia drivers back to "stock" rather than using the Web Drivers. If you are using the web drivers (as I do with dual GTX 670's) that could be contributory... Don't know enough enough about your particular GPU card to say.

I'll bet we get some more data in the next couple days. You could also Google around to some other OSX sites; there are pockets of X79 activity scattered around.

How do you like the Sabertooth overall?

D

ETA: I notice you said "development machine". I've been using Hackintoshes for a while as serious work machines, which can be vexing. I will say, based on initial experimentation, that life will likely be very good for us X79 owners under 10.9...

Hmm. Yeah, I do think it may be the GPU, but don't really know where to go with that. I tried the card (EVGA GTX650) in a different slot, but that didn't help..

My understanding is the default packaged drivers should work. Is there any kext that would possibly get me around this? Even if it's a crippled one?

Got a new 4930k
No luck yet booting into OS X.

Sorry guys, can't help, but I am (or maybe was) considering the same processor:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...g-i7-4930k-ga-x79-ud5-gtx-770-2gb-issues.html

I don't need it to work immediately but in a month or 2, this processor (with Gigabyte mobo) will be fully hackintosh compatible right? Good luck, and keep the community updated!

Erik,

I replied also to Marcox4's thread... I didn't realize this was an Ivy Bridge-E processor.

There are DSDTs for X79 boards out there (you will probably need one made for a fairly recent BIOS with the -E), and also (I believe) a modded kernel for Ivy Bridge-E. Google around for more specific resources and support.

I'm using a non-E chip on an X79 board (E 2320 Xeon on Asus P9X79WS) in addition to my other systems.

There are also some posts here about modding your own DSDT but, since you mention "just fixing it with a kext", you're probably better off using one of the specific DSDTs to support it.

HTH,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back