Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E Board is hackintosh ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Your hackintosh is very nice.
I also have i7 10700k and I am planning to buy z590 e gaming.
1 I am just wondering whether your hackintosh is stable. Have you ever experienced any freeze issues or usb drop problems.
2 Can I still use smbios imac20,1 on z590? If so would the igpu still work properly?
Thank you so much
1. My hackintosh is stable as far as i can tell, everything works apart from sidecar which was expected. No sudden crash or anything wrong related to bootup, I have been using it like a genuine Mac.

2. I think you can still use iMac20,1 for SMBIOS, I used it sometime ago but I am now using iMacPro1,1 instead coz I find it is more suitable for my build with dGPU (without the need to deal with iGPU patching). However if you decided to use iMac20,1 I didn't find a way to patch the iGPU on this CPU, so you will have to use a headless FB and use a dGPU, which was why I elected to use iMP as SMBIOS at the end.

Hope this helps, cheers!

1. My hackintosh is stable as far as i can tell, everything works apart from sidecar which was expected. No sudden crash or anything wrong related to bootup, I have been using it like a genuine Mac.

2. I think you can still use iMac20,1 for SMBIOS, I used it sometime ago but I am now using iMacPro1,1 instead coz I find it is more suitable for my build with dGPU (without the need to deal with iGPU patching). However if you decided to use iMac20,1 I didn't find a way to patch the iGPU on this CPU, so you will have to use a headless FB and use a dGPU, which was why I elected to use iMP as SMBIOS at the end.

Hope this helps, cheers!
Thank you very much :)))

@MKAviator
Hi dude!
First of all - sorry for my English.
I did 3 hacks by Clever and they work fine. But I'm very noob in OpenCore. Maybe you can help me? Show me right way?
What I have:
- Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
- HPT RocketRAID 2720 SGL (I hope it will work "as-is")
- Blackmagic DeckLink SDI (I hope it will work "as-is" too)
What should I buy:
- MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E. It's good for me, cuz it have 3 PCI slots + 8 x USB 3.2 + 2 x USB-C
- RAM: I need 64Gb at least (128Gb is perfect). In this way question: can I buy 4 x 16 (for example - CMK64GX4M4D3000C16)? Or 2 x 32Gb will be better?
- CPU: should I buy i7-10700K? Or I can buy i9-10900F (cuz 10 cores is better for me)?
- I don't need WiFi and Bluetooth and can disable it in BIOS

I read alot of threads there (Success Builds) and still can't understand: is any combinations of hardware (listed in this threads) are good for Hack (Hack will stable)?
Can you tell me where should I start to build my Hack?

@MKAviator
Hi dude!
First of all - sorry for my English.
I did 3 hacks by Clever and they work fine. But I'm very noob in OpenCore. Maybe you can help me? Show me right way?
What I have:
- Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
- HPT RocketRAID 2720 SGL (I hope it will work "as-is")
- Blackmagic DeckLink SDI (I hope it will work "as-is" too)
What should I buy:
- MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E. It's good for me, cuz it have 3 PCI slots + 8 x USB 3.2 + 2 x USB-C
- RAM: I need 64Gb at least (128Gb is perfect). In this way question: can I buy 4 x 16 (for example - CMK64GX4M4D3000C16)? Or 2 x 32Gb will be better?
- CPU: should I buy i7-10700K? Or I can buy i9-10900F (cuz 10 cores is better for me)?
- I don't need WiFi and Bluetooth and can disable it in BIOS

I read alot of threads there (Success Builds) and still can't understand: is any combinations of hardware (listed in this threads) are good for Hack (Hack will stable)?
Can you tell me where should I start to build my Hack?
Hi @WanderAlone,

Saw your post and thought to chip in.

Ideally with say a i7-10700K/i9-10900K I would have recommended you get a Z490 motherboard instead as I find that works better overall (especially with enabling Intel Quicksync functionality). But as they are now getting scarce, the ROG STRIX Z590-E is a good choice. As you will be using your AMD RX580 GPU in it it shouldn't be an issue.

For the memory I would say 64GB is usually more than sufficient for most systems, but if you can afford the 128GB by all means do so.

As for your PCIe cards, the RocketRAID should still work as is (as I too have a Highpoint RAID SAS card installed and working in my Z690 system). Not sure about the Blackmagic but I think it should work okay too.

I have both Z490 & Z590 motherboards. In my experience Comet Lake CPUs are probably the easiest to configure and run macOS provided you know the settings required. While the chips will boot from Catalina 10.15.7 onwards using default settings (Intel UHD IGPU and no CPUID set) it can also run High Sierra if both the IGPU and CPUID are spoofed using Coffee Lake values.

Hi @WanderAlone,

Saw your post and thought to chip in.

Ideally with say a i7-10700K/i9-10900K I would have recommended you get a Z490 motherboard instead as I find that works better overall (especially with enabling Intel Quicksync functionality). But as they are now getting scarce, the ROG STRIX Z590-E is a good choice. As you will be using your AMD RX580 GPU in it it shouldn't be an issue.

For the memory I would say 64GB is usually more than sufficient for most systems, but if you can afford the 128GB by all means do so.

As for your PCIe cards, the RocketRAID should still work as is (as I too have a Highpoint RAID SAS card installed and working in my Z690 system). Not sure about the Blackmagic but I think it should work okay too.

I have both Z490 & Z590 motherboards. In my experience Comet Lake CPUs are probably the easiest to configure and run macOS provided you know the settings required. While the chips will boot from Catalina 10.15.7 onwards using default settings (Intel UHD IGPU and no CPUID set) it can also run High Sierra if both the IGPU and CPUID are spoofed using Coffee Lake values.
Hi Middleman!
Thanks for your replay!
I understood something about MB & CPU - my choice will i9-10900K & ROG STRIX Z590-E.
But still have a questions about RAM & HDD. If it possible - help me make a choice.
RAM:
- everybody get "Corsair Vengeance" - is it only brand to buy? Or it's the best one?
- should I buy one set 4x16Gb (for example CMW64GX4M4D3600C18)? Or I can buy two sets 2x16Gb (for example CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)? Question is "All memory should be from one set"?
HDD:
- SATA or M.2? Dortania says: "all SATA based drives are supported and the majority of NVMe drives as well"
- Brand? For Z590 somebody buy "Hynix", somebody - WD, Crucial etc.
- What would you recommend?

Hi Middleman!
Thanks for your replay!
I understood something about MB & CPU - my choice will i9-10900K & ROG STRIX Z590-E.
But still have a questions about RAM & HDD. If it possible - help me make a choice.
RAM:
- everybody get "Corsair Vengeance" - is it only brand to buy? Or it's the best one?
- should I buy one set 4x16Gb (for example CMW64GX4M4D3600C18)? Or I can buy two sets 2x16Gb (for example CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)? Question is "All memory should be from one set"?
HDD:
- SATA or M.2? Dortania says: "all SATA based drives are supported and the majority of NVMe drives as well"
- Brand? For Z590 somebody buy "Hynix", somebody - WD, Crucial etc.
- What would you recommend?
Hi @WanderAlone,

Yes that will do! (CMW64GX4M4D3600C18 4 x 16GB) is more than enough for the system.

As for the SSD I highly recommend a 1TB M.2 NVMe either by WD or Samsung for speed and reliability. WD Black SN850 or Samsung 980 PRO. You can also add a 500GB/1TB Samsung 970 EVO 2.5" SSD as an extra storage or scratch device if you use say Adobe Photoshop.

Hi @WanderAlone,

Yes that will do! (CMW64GX4M4D3600C18 4 x 16GB) is more than enough for the system.

As for the SSD I highly recommend a 1TB M.2 NVMe either by WD or Samsung for speed and reliability. WD Black SN850 or Samsung 980 PRO. You can also add a 500GB/1TB Samsung 970 EVO 2.5" SSD as an extra storage or scratch device if you use say Adobe Photoshop.
Sorry for my obsession ))

To buy CMW64GX4M4D3600C18 right now is very difficult for me. Can I buy CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 twice?

Sorry for my obsession ))

To buy CMW64GX4M4D3600C18 right now is very difficult for me. Can I buy CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 twice?
No worries. Yes getting two sets of CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 should work. As long as they are the same model, make and MHz.

No worries. Yes getting two sets of CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 should work. As long as they are the same model, make and MHz.
And one more about RAM:

In the "ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING Series User Manual" we can read:
"10th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7/i9 processors support 2933 / 2800 / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 natively, others will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2666MHz."

Why we are buying RAM with 3000MHz (or higher)? It will work at 2666MHz only.

And one more about RAM:

In the "ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING Series User Manual" we can read:
"10th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7/i9 processors support 2933 / 2800 / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 natively, others will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2666MHz."

Why we are buying RAM with 3000MHz (or higher)? It will work at 2666MHz only.
That's not a problem. My Z490 Aorus Xtreme build with i9-10900K runs at 3200MHz quite happily as the memory is capable of running at slower speeds. You'll notice it says the highest speed for the CPU is 2933MHz which IS basically 3000MHz and not 2666MHz. The difference is minimal. In any case most DDR4 RAM these days is running at 3200MHz or higher as the factories no longer produce the slower speed sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back