Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming Motherboard specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having some issues with my RX560. I'm using ModMike's EFI from here (thanks!), but having huge GPU spikes and prolonged 100% usage when doing seemingly mundane stuff that shouldn't be using so much, if any at all. For example, if I open say ableton live 10 with no project open, the GPU usage creeps up to a steady 25%. Similarly, scrolling in safari hits 100%, screensaver uses 100% GPU and 100% GPU memory, when the PC comes back from having a screensaver on, the USB audio device I use is glitchy and clicky/poppy and this is only fixed by a reboot. USB seem to be working fine otherwise.

Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Z390-i
32GB Corsair
Mojave 10.14.3

When this happens, did you notice if your GPU fans are running at full speed, or did they stay at same speed? Is your IGPU properly configured in BIOS?

People have had similar issues when IGPU and DGPU are improperly configured. Search "RX560 problem" to see a few of the issues people have had and what they did to fix them.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have the PC about 12" from my ear at the moment, and I can't hear any obvious increase in fan speed. In fact, I don't ever remember hearing it. GPU temps seem to be OK too.

When this happens, did you notice if your GPU fans are running at full speed, or did they stay at same speed? Is your IGPU properly configured in BIOS?

People have had similar issues when IGPU and DGPU are improperly configured. Search "RX560 problem" to see a few of the issues people have had and what they did to fix them.

Thanks, as far as I'm aware, it is configured correctly. I initially started off with just the 630 UHD and added the RX560 later. I had issues with viewing thumbnails in preview, so was advised to enable the 630 as well as the RX560, it is configured with PCIE as the primary with the 630 enabled and I think the next setting was set to 1024M and then the one below that was auto, that's off the top of my head. I will post some screen shots of the BIOS settings.

By the way, which one of my EFIs are you using? I changed it a few times and the definitive one is in my TEWB guide linked in my signature. Also be sure to follow my BIOS settings in the same guide.

I'm not sure which one it is, you linked to it a couple of pages back. I will have a look at your guide after I've done the screen shot for the `GPU set up, thanks :)

Go to my guide and use the EFI at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure how old the EFI you got is. I deleted the one in this thread because I must have made 100 changes in the last 2 weeks.

Depending on when you got it, your USB could also be an issue. The current one was reviewed by @pastrychef and I researched everything I could.

By the way, did you update your BIOS? There were some major changes in the short time since it was released, even a full version change.

OK thanks, I was on 1003, have updated to the latest, but still the same, added your latest EFI, but still the same. In fact, just gently scrolling down your guide page results in 100%GPU, which if done for more than a few seconds, tends to break my audio, I have the on-board audio disabled as I use an RME Babyface pro interface, which, to be fair is pretty rock solid and not that easy to rattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back