Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Guide now available!

Info on the Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming gleaned from cache of wccftech.com web page. Source with pictures.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming Motherboard changes:
  • Z390 chipset
  • Slightly larger VRM heatsink
  • Beefier I/O cover with an additional heatsink for the phases underneath
  • Longer M.2 heatsink.
  • Mounted IO shield
Features:
  • 10 Phase DIGI+ design through 8-pin connector.
  • LGA 1151 (V2) socket compatible with 9th and 8th generation processors.
  • 2X DIMM, 32 GB max, speed of up to 5000 MHz (O.C+).
  • PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot
  • M.2 top side connector
  • M.2 slot under board
  • M.2 Heatsink for cooling undercount M.2 storage device and Z390 PCH
  • 4X SATA III ports
  • Front panel USB 3.1 Gen2 connector
  • USB 3.0 front panel header.
Motherboard IO:
  • Display Port
  • HDMI 2.0
  • 2X USB 3.1 Gen1 ports
  • 3X USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports
  • 2X USB 2.0 ports
  • Ethernet LAN port
  • 2X WIFI/Bluetooth 4.2 antenna connectors
  • 7.1 channel HD audio panel.

Last edited:
Really keen to upgrade.. What do you think hack compatibility will be like with he new Z390 / 9 series CPU's?

There is a lot to consider, namely compatability. I would certainly hold off on getting a new motherboard until we see if it is compatible. It features a lot of integration, such as wifi, that may not work.

If the motherboard is compatible, you can use you 8700k with it or sell it and get the bigger chip but I think it might be quite a bit more expensive.

If you can sell it today for close to what you paid, do that and keep your options open.

I looked at the upcoming Asus Z390 motherboards, too, and the specs sound great. (I really like the improved VRM.) I'm particularly interested in the Z390 GENE. However, as @Skripo alluded to, some of the new integrated features may not be compatible with macOS yet.

I'm assuming the Z390 motherboards will take advantage of the new built-in Intel Wi-Fi. Some of the H310/B360/H370 already take advantage of this feature. The motherboards that feature this have a card plugged in to a slot that is physically the same as a typical M.2 (A/E key) slot. However, these slots are only compatible with Intel CNVi cards. This means that using a BCM94360CS2 with an M.2 adaptor or DW1560/DW1830 cards won't work with these motherboards. Therefore, the slot and included cards will be useless until Apple adapts the technology and adds drivers to macOS.

Secondly, Intel now includes USB 3.1 gen 2 with the B360/H370/Z390 chipsets. This will probably mean that Z390 motherboards will no longer use ASMedia chipsets for USB 3.1 gen 2, which macOS had native support for. Again, until Apple adapts this in to real Macs and includes drivers, these USB 3.1 gen 2 slots will be useless to us.

If you don't mind these two issues, I am guessing/speculating that Z390 will be fairly easy to hackintosh because of the extreme similarities to Z370. As far as I know, besides the two above features, Z390 is essentially Z370.

I looked at the upcoming Asus Z390 motherboards, too, and the specs sound great. (I really like the improved VRM.) I'm particularly interested in the Z390 GENE. However, as @Skripo alluded to, some of the new integrated features may not be compatible with macOS yet.

I'm assuming the Z390 motherboards will take advantage of the new built-in Intel Wi-Fi. Some of the H310/B360/H370 already take advantage of this feature. The motherboards that feature this have a card plugged in to a slot that is physically the same as a typical M.2 (A/E key) slot. However, these slots are only compatible with Intel CNVi cards. This means that using a BCM94360CS2 with an M.2 adaptor or DW1560/DW1830 cards won't work with these motherboards. Therefore, the slot and included cards will be useless until Apple adapts the technology and adds drivers to macOS.

Secondly, Intel now includes USB 3.1 gen 2 with the B360/H370/Z390 chipsets. This will probably mean that Z390 motherboards will no longer use ASMedia chipsets for USB 3.1 gen 2, which macOS had native support for. Again, until Apple adapts this in to real Macs and includes drivers, these USB 3.1 gen 2 slots will be useless to us.

If you don't mind these two issues, I am guessing/speculating that Z390 will be fairly easy to hackintosh because of the extreme similarities to Z370. As far as I know, besides the two above features, Z390 is essentially Z370.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

I’m going to build a Intel 9900K with Z390 by the end of this year, and while it is going to be a Windows initially, I want to ensure that it can work as a Hackintosh too. I might wire a Ethernet cable through the house just to bypass the WiFi hassle. The bigger issue will be that I’m going to get a RTX 2080 Ti, and who knows when/if it will work decently with Mojave.

I don’t think that will happen before the start of next year, like 10.14.2 or 10.14.3, so the Hackintosh project will no doubt be a winter project. :geek:

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

I’m going to build a Intel 9900K with Z390 by the end of this year, and while it is going to be a Windows initially, I want to ensure that it can work as a Hackintosh too. I might wire a Ethernet cable through the house just to bypass the WiFi hassle. The bigger issue will be that I’m going to get a RTX 2080 Ti, and who knows when/if it will work decently with Mojave.

I don’t think that will happen before the start of next year, like 10.14.2 or 10.14.3, so the Hackintosh project will no doubt be a winter project. :geek:

Honestly, unless you really need the new Intel Wi-Fi, I feel there's no reason to go with Z390 right now. By going with Z370, you can have a motherboard where all the components will be hackintosh compatible.
intel-z370-vs-z390.png

Z370 will still give you USB 3.1 gen 2 and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. It's just that the controllers used are not Intel controllers.

That being said, in reading about some of the leaked info about upcoming Z390 motherboards, it seems that many of the motherboard manufacturers have placed a renewed priority towards improved VRM...

Honestly, unless you really need the new Intel Wi-Fi, I feel there's no reason to go with Z390 right now. By going with Z370, you can have a motherboard where all the components will be hackintosh compatible.
View attachment 355686

Z370 will still give you USB 3.1 gen 2 and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. It's just that the controllers used are not Intel controllers.

That being said, in reading about some of the leaked info about upcoming Z390 motherboards, it seems that many of the motherboard manufacturers have placed a renewed priority towards improved VRM...

Thanks, good points. Yeah, we will see if Z390 brings any improvements beyond native WiFi and USB 3.1 gen2. I have a feeling that the new Mac Mini and/or an updated iMac might bring us native support for Z390, but who knows. :)

Oh, I have a question regarding the preferred brand of motherboards: Back in the day, I believe that Gigabyte was the best for a Hackintosh build? Maybe their BIOS was more Mac friendly? Is that still the case, or could I just as well choose a Asus etc?

@WilleC, Back in the day...that was true (circa 2010-2011). However, ASUS motherboards are now very macOS friendly as you can see my @pastrychef's and my builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back