Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming Motherboard specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a USB3 device, I'll test out the ports this afternoon. The audio is at the moment the only thing that's stopping me from keeping the motherboard as default, I might also try the Gigabyte Z390-I at some point next week.

@pastrychef Confirmed that USB3 works at full speed.

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 2.43.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Anyone think that with any of the Z390 boards, handoff and airdrop might work with the built in wifi?

Are you saying the M.2 WiFi + Bluetooth modules work on Z390 boards?
My experience is on H370 those modules don’t work.

@vincek8s If you have time, it's maybe also worth testing the new Z390 motherboard on the newest macOS 10.14.1 Public Beta version, since I can well imagine that Apple uses the 9th generation of Intel processors with the new chipset for the rumored new iMacs and Mac minis. Often compatibility adjustments can already be found in the beta versions (see iPhone X Leak).

@al333x Is there any evidence of this yet? That'd be awesome! That said the Asus Z390 motherboard is gone, I'm debating if I should get the Gigabyte or still the Asus for myself. Any suggestions

@al333x Is there any evidence of this yet? That'd be awesome! That said the Asus Z390 motherboard is gone, I'm debating if I should get the Gigabyte or still the Asus for myself. Any suggestions

I'm just speculating, but based on the lawsuit between Broadcom and Apple, my guess is that Apple will adapt Intel's CNVi Wi-Fi sooner rather than later. Plus, it's probably less expensive for Apple too.

That being said, for the time being, until Intel Wi-Fi support has been confirmed, M.2 (E Key) slots on Z390 motherboards that are compatible with non-CNVi will still be important. I don't know if the Asus motherboard you had made special provisions for compatibility or if all Z390 motherboards are compatible with standard M.2 (E key) cards. On H370 and B360 motherboards, some people tried unsuccessfully to use standard M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards in CNVi M.2 slots. I believe they had Gigabyte motherboards.

I think that your success in getting USB to work bodes well for all Z390 motherboards. I would not be concerned about that.

Your sleep/shutdown issues may require Clover updates to fix. I remember when Z170 was new and sleep was quite spotty for me at first. Eventually, one of the Clover releases fixed it.

I'm just speculating, but based on the lawsuit between Broadcom and Apple, my guess is that Apple will adapt Intel's CNVi Wi-Fi sooner rather than later. Plus, it's probably less expensive for Apple too.

That being said, for the time being, until Intel Wi-Fi support has been confirmed, M.2 (E Key) slots on Z390 motherboards that are compatible with non-CNVi will still be important. I don't know if the Asus motherboard you had made special provisions for compatibility or if all Z390 motherboards are compatible with standard M.2 (E key) cards. On H370 and B360 motherboards, some people tried unsuccessfully to use standard M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards in CNVi M.2 slots. I believe they had Gigabyte motherboards.

I think that your success in getting USB to work bodes well for all Z390 motherboards. I would not be concerned about that.

Your sleep/shutdown issues may require Clover updates to fix. I remember when Z170 was new and sleep was quite spotty for me at first. Eventually, one of the Clover releases fixed it.

I thought the lawsuit was between Apple and Qualcomm, not with Broadcom. That said, given that Z390 supports WiFI/BT5 in the chipset itself, there is a high chance that Apple might start adopting CNVi in the next generation Macs, I agree with you on that side. Apple just started adopting Intel cards on iPhones, which is a step in the right direction. The other piece that wasn't working was Audio, no matter what I tried, it just didn't work. Which it could be ok given that I primarily use bluetooth anyway.

I thought the lawsuit was between Apple and Qualcomm, not with Broadcom. That said, given that Z390 supports WiFI/BT5 in the chipset itself, there is a high chance that Apple might start adopting CNVi in the next generation Macs, I agree with you on that side. Apple just started adopting Intel cards on iPhones, which is a step in the right direction. The other piece that wasn't working was Audio, no matter what I tried, it just didn't work. Which it could be ok given that I primarily use bluetooth anyway.

Oops. Yes, you're right Qualcomm, not Broadcom.

Not sure why audio wasn't working... May have to inject using config.plist > Devices > Properties as detailed here.

Oops. Yes, you're right Qualcomm, not Broadcom.

Not sure why audio wasn't working... May have to inject using config.plist > Devices > Properties as detailed here.

Little update, I put a RX580 in the system I had the Strix Z390-I, and audio works now! Shutdown and sleep are the only 2 things left :)

Another strange thing that happens is when the computer sleeps/shutdowns, goes into a black screen (the screen doesn't turn off), but my entire network goes down, and it goes back up when I shut it down manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back