Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming Motherboard specs

If you can guarantee you'll have me running as if I'm on my MacBook Pro, I'll absolutely get the ASUS. I'm just piecing out parts at the moment so I'd only be missing my storage and CPU. So, it wouldn't be necessary immediately or anything.

Edit: by MacBook Pro I just meant the ecosystem. As that's the only Mac computer I have. haha

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390 I-Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook
Classic Mac
512K, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Dude, the only guarantee you will get is that I will help to the best of my ability.

That being said, I gave my MacBook to my daughter and haven’t looked back.

Finally, I strongly recommend you look at the Western Digital Black NVMe SSD. I have the EVO 970 and the Western Digital. It’s not only cheaper, but also as fast as the Samsung EVO 970.

Last edited:
Haha all good, was tongue-in-cheek, and the one I was looking at was the WD blue would that still work?

Motherboard
Asus TUF Z390m-Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Performa, Power Mac, SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes but it is much slower.
Hey @ModMike
There is enough of us first responders to the Z390 motherboards to now have it ironed out.
I have compared a lot of ASUS Z390 builds and I find that the bios, clover, SMBIOS settings are almost Identical across ASUS motherboard product lines. The only differences I’m seeing is USB and audio, all doable.

@headkaze - Hackintool is by far the best/easiest tool for setting graphics and USB up. My ASUS Tuf Z390M-Pro (Mojave 14.2) required a newly created AppleALC by @toleda. At this point there is nothing not working except where I didn’t buy the hardware, (BlueTooth and Video Card).

I am also running a i7-8700K. This thing over clocks easy with no temperature issues (at least mine @4800 all cores synced, (Air cooled old (CoolMaster).

Geekbench score of 30K. I noticed similar performance from the new i5-9500K. It has 8 cores to my 6. Yet, i7-8700k is a great product keeping up to i5-9500K’s 8 cores. I probably should have bought that. I believe it was $80 cheaper than what I paid for the i7-8700K.
With the knowledge I have now I would have made a few minor purchase differences. It’s all good!

Last edited:
Update: returned the Z370N and got the Z390I. Just waiting now to save up for the CPU and SSD.

Is there a sub-$100 or $100ish Intel CPU I could use with this motherboard to get running? If so I could buy that and just get this system running and swap the cpu's down the line.

Motherboard
Asus TUF Z390m-Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, LC, Performa, Power Mac, SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
Is there a sub-$100 or $100ish Intel CPU I could use with this motherboard to get running? If so I could buy that and just get this system running and swap the cpu's down the line.
Has to be coffee lake 300 series.
The cheapest cpu is the i3 8100. Prices range from $109.99 eBay to $118.00 Amazon. Both brand new.

Has to be coffee lake 300 series.
The cheapest cpu is the i3 8100. Prices range from $109.99 eBay to $118.00 Amazon. Both brand new.
How difficult would changing the CPU be down the line? Is it just a physical swap nothing else?