Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming Motherboard specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was the whole understanding of how the 15 port limit worked and why it mattered, but more importantly how it affected not just the USB ports but the rest of the system. I get it now (better than I did!), but was having no success with the guides that I was able to follow. I also managed to get some help elsewhere, they did a custom DSDT but my system wouldn’t boot with it installed and got the impression there wasn’t much else they could help with.

Did the IORegistry thing, discovered the ports, did something with boot flags to exclude ports, but no matter what I did, there was always something weird going on with the ports afterwards. As in, some drives were not detected or took 10 mins or more to show up. Crackly USB audio devises etc.

It all seems to be working well, now, thanks to the help on here. The only minor niggle is that sometimes it feels like there’s very little or no GPU hardware in Mojave. GPU memory showing as almost maxed out most of the time. Cheers.

Good to see you've got a somewhat stable release anyhow! It's always a relief. Deep down I kind of like when problems arise, and the sense of accomplishment when you finally fix them.

Curious you say you used flags to exclude ports, but the guides generally call for deleting them entirely?

Memory is a wierd one, my 32 gigs even after a fresh reboot leave like 10 free..

Hi guys, I am a noob and just started reading all this info about the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I board

so If i build the computer with the following spec would it work?

CPU: i7 8700k
Mb: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I
RAM: any 8GBx2 ddr4
VGA: Strix Vega 64
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO

I do know that the native wifi card wont work, so I need to replace the wifi card?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English. Not my first language.

Good to see you've got a somewhat stable release anyhow! It's always a relief. Deep down I kind of like when problems arise, and the sense of accomplishment when you finally fix them.

Curious you say you used flags to exclude ports, but the guides generally call for deleting them entirely?

Memory is a wierd one, my 32 gigs even after a fresh reboot leave like 10 free..

Thanks. It was on another site (don't think we are allowed to mention them here?) and they had maybe 3 different methods which seem to have all changed now, and one of their staff was helping me and he went down the boot flags route. I had looked at RehabMan's guide on tonymacx86, but it was a bit too difficult for me to follow, especially as the other guide that he mentions to read is even more complicated (to me, at least).

I also have 32GB but haven't had any issues with that, it shows as 6.64GB used. Hope you get it fixed.

Hi guys, I am a noob and just started reading all this info about the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I board

so If i build the computer with the following spec would it work?

CPU: i7 8700k
Mb: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I
RAM: any 8GBx2 ddr4
VGA: Strix Vega 64
SSD: Samsung 960 PRO

I do know that the native wifi card wont work, so I need to replace the wifi card?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English. Not my first language.

Hi dude,
in theory it should work, your pick is pretty much on the safe side of things, especially since you opted for the Vega instead of the Nvidia.
In regard to the wifi/bt thing I can confirm that you have to replace the card since the onboard Intel chipset is not supported. I'm still in the process of figuring out the best fit for the replacement. ( it should be a Broadcom )
Anyway, you could try to go on and install Mojave.
If any trouble arises just get back here and someone will try to help you sort things out.
I'm no expert by any means: I'm in the process of completing my very first hackintosh myself, and if you take a look to my previous post you'll find out that I'm still struggling with (minor) issues myself, but the pros overcome the cons by far :)

So in case you choose to pursue this path: good luck :)

Hi dude,
in theory it should work, your pick is pretty much on the safe side of things, especially since you opted for the Vega instead of the Nvidia.
In regard to the wifi/bt thing I can confirm that you have to replace the card since the onboard Intel chipset is not supported. I'm still in the process of figuring out the best fit for the replacement. ( it should be a Broadcom )
Anyway, you could try to go on and install Mojave.
If any trouble arises just get back here and someone will try to help you sort things out.
I'm no expert by any means: I'm in the process of completing my very first hackintosh myself, and if you take a look to my previous post you'll find out that I'm still struggling with (minor) issues myself, but the pros overcome the cons by far :)

So in case you choose to pursue this path: good luck :)

Hi man, thank you for the reply

I need to ask, does the dual booting (windows / Mac ) works?

Thx

I have dual boot windows and macOS on two separate drives, I did the windows install first and then the Hackintosh install on a separate drive, clover automatically detected my windows install and shows both on the boot screen. I'm not sure how it works with both on the same drive, though.
I need to ask, does the dual booting (windows / Mac ) works?

Thx

Hi, after searching for a way to get the Intel iGPU on my i5-9600K CPU working with acceleration, I came across this excellent new guide by @CaseySJ today on tonymacx86: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ching-guide-hdmi-black-screen-problem.269149/

It's helped me get GPU acceleration working for my Intel UHD 630 iGPU under High Sierra. (I can enable Night Shift, and the macOS is smooth, lag-free, and free of glitches.) To get it working, I used the pre-made framebuffer patch for the "ASUS Prime H370-Plus and Coffee Lake CPU" - found in the link above. Then, it was just a case of copying & pasting it into my config.plist under Devices (using Xcode, a text-editor or the method of your choice). Lilu & WhateverGreen kexts are needed for this to work, and I'm using HDMI output for my iGPU.

I'm using a MacMini8,1 SMBIOS, with the -no_compat_check boot-arg in my config.plist &. I've attached a picture of how my Intel iGPU now shows up in About Mac. This is with an ASUS Prime Z390-A motherboard, and Intel i5-9600K CPU, so I'd be interested if this can be replicated on other ASUS Z390 'boards & setups? A big thanks to @CaseySJ, and everyone who contributed on their thread (and to the user-submitted patches).

This was holding me back from upgrading to Mojave, so my next step will be to upgrade to Apple's latest OS and confirm it's working with this (which, hopefully, should prove no problem).

Attachments

• About.png
    About.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hi, after searching for a way to get the Intel iGPU on my i5-9600K CPU working with acceleration, I came across this excellent new guide by @CaseySJ today on tonymacx86: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ching-guide-hdmi-black-screen-problem.269149/

It's helped me get GPU acceleration working for my Intel UHD 630 iGPU under High Sierra (I can enable Night Shift, and the macOS is smooth, lag-free, and free of glitches). To get it working, I used the pre-made framebuffer patch for the "ASUS Prime H370-Plus and Coffee Lake CPU" - found in the link above. Then it was just a case of copying & pasting it into my config.plist under Devices (using Xcode, a text-editor or the method of your choice). Lilu & WhateverGreen kexts are needed for this to work, and I'm using HDMI output for my iGPU.

I'm using a Macmini8,1 SMBIOS, with the -no_compat_check boot-arg in my config.plist &. I've attached a picture of how my Intel iGPU now shows up in About Mac. This is with an ASUS Prime Z390-A motherboard, and Intel i5-9600K CPU, so I'd be interested if this can be replicated on other ASUS Z390 'boards & setups? A big thanks to @CaseySJ, and everyone who contributed on their thread (and to the user-submitted patches).

This was holding me back from upgrading to Mojave, so my next step will be to upgrade to Apple's latest OS and confirm it's working with this (which, hopefully, should prove no problem).

Likewise I used the MacMini 8,1 smbios and all my iGPU issues went away with no frame buffer patching needed. Now on Mojave The -no_compat_check boot arg. is no longer required.

@Toad - Thanks, I read your post on the Z390 and i7-8700K - any successful builds? thread, and it was your post that led me to using the -no_compat_check boot-arg - a big thank you for your help as well. I'd also be interested whether you are using DP output for your UHD 630? In my case, I needed the framebuffer patches to fix the HDMI Black Screen Problem with my UHD 630, once I'd faked its device-id.

I've also just upgraded to Mojave, and everything went smoothly - GPU acceleration is still working. It appears About Mac is more accurate too, after the upgrade, showing both my UHD 630 Graphics, and Intel i5 CPU:
About Mac.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back