Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING for a 9900k build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z390-E
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Happy New Year everyone,

I've got a Best Buy gift card on Christmas, and would like to use it to build a 9900k hackintosh. Since it's a Best Buy gift card, I'm limited to the parts they sell there.

The only non MSI Z390 motherboard that they have is the ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...ard-with-led-lighting/6311237.p?skuId=6311237

I can't find much info on this mobo regarding hackintoshes. It seems that Best Buy doesn't sell any Gigabyte mobos, and I've been told to avoid MSI mobos as they can be very tricky to get a solid build with.

All the Z370 mobos available on Best Buy are from MSI as well.

Do you guys have any idea of how compatible the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING would be for a 9900k build?

Most people seem to be using the Gigabyte AORUS mobo, and I haven't seen much info about ASUS mobos for 9900k builds yet.

Thanks!

Hi @roromush, yes everything but wifi is working with this board :)

I didn't install it from scratch though, I just moved my SSD from my old hackintosh (Z170-AR, 6700K, RX560) to this board, and used @pastrychef's EFI folder, with my own SSDT.

You can read his guide here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...wi-fi-ac-build-w-i9-9900k-amd-vega-56.239969/

I've made a SSDT to map the USB ports on this board, I'll attach it here but the compiled .aml is already included in my EFI folder (attached here).

If you're moving from another hackintosh like I did, and are using a dedicated GPU, all you need to do is move my EFI to your EFI partition, open config.plist on Clover, go on SMBIOS and generate a new Serial Number, SmUUID and Board Serial Number.

Refer to the guide above for instructions.

Everything but wifi works, even the on-board bluetooth controller is recognized and I'm able to use handoff. Keep in mind I don't use the iGPU, as I have a dGPU RX 560 + 2 1440p monitors, so my EFI won't work with integrated graphics unless you enable them. Refer to the guide above for instructions.

I bought this wifi pci card on aliexpress to get native wifi working (I want to have airdrop): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WTX...639.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7f724c4dwJtipN

Pastrychef lists a cheaper wifi card on his thread that uses M.2, but I didn't want to sacrifice a M.2 slot and went with a PCI card instead.

Good luck :)

I got a 1515 score on Cinebench. Here's my Geekbench score:https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12224209 - Running with no overclock other than ASUS multi core enhancement.

Attachments

• ROG Strix Z390-E GAMING USB ports.dsl
    4 KB · Views: 1,164
  • ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING.zip
    32.3 MB · Views: 1,818
Last edited:
@VinnyMunich Hey I'm thinking about building a new hackintosh based off this board/build.
I've only built one ever and it was about five years ago so my memory is foggy.

You mentioned you "moved my SSD from my old hackintosh", do the OS versions have to match?

My old build is on:

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5 TH
i7-4770 Haswell
3.4GHzEVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Samsung Pro 256 GB SSD (boot drive)
Running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (I know, I'm stuck in the past).
I think I installed it with Clover and MultiBeast,

I'm basically just trying to update my OS, I'm not sure what the most current OS release my old build can handle.

Hi @roromush, yes everything but wifi is working with this board :)

I didn't install it from scratch though, I just moved my SSD from my old hackintosh (Z170-AR, 6700K, RX560) to this board, and used @pastrychef's EFI folder, with my own SSDT.

You can read his guide here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...wi-fi-ac-build-w-i9-9900k-amd-vega-56.239969/

I've made a SSDT to map the USB ports on this board, I'll attach it here but the compiled .aml is already included in my EFI folder (attached here).

If you're moving from another hackintosh like I did, and are using a dedicated GPU, all you need to do is move my EFI to your EFI partition, open config.plist on Clover, go on SMBIOS and generate a new Serial Number, SmUUID and Board Serial Number.

Refer to the guide above for instructions.

Everything but wifi works, even the on-board bluetooth controller is recognized and I'm able to use handoff. Keep in mind I don't use the iGPU, as I have a dGPU RX 560 + 2 1440p monitors, so my EFI won't work with integrated graphics unless you enable them. Refer to the guide above for instructions.

I bought this wifi pci card on aliexpress to get native wifi working (I want to have airdrop): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WTX...639.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7f724c4dwJtipN

Pastrychef lists a cheaper wifi card on his thread that uses M.2, but I didn't want to sacrifice a M.2 slot and went with a PCI card instead.

Good luck :)

I got a 1515 score on Cinebench. Here's my Geekbench score:https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12224209 - Running with no overclock other than ASUS multi core enhancement.
Thanks for the EFI folder and usb map very helpful. I haven't tested the later fully yet, but doesn't seem like the usb-c port is not mapped out. Are you able to confirm?@VinnyMunich

Last edited:
How were you able to get the onboard Bluetooth working? I have the same board and it won't connect to sh1t. I have a BT 4.0 with my wifi adapter but I sure would love to have 5.0.

Here is what the System Report says under BT:

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 7.0.0d103

Hardware, Features, and Settings:
Name: J's iMac
Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00
Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: No
Handoff Supported: Yes
Instant Hot Spot Supported: Yes
Manufacturer: Ericsson
Transport: USB
Firmware Version: 0.0 (0.0)
Bluetooth Power: On
Discoverable: On
Connectable: Yes
Auto Seek Pointing: On
Remote wake: On
Vendor ID: 0x8087
Product ID: 0x0AAA
Bluetooth Core Spec: 1.0b (0x0)
HCI Revision: 0x00
LMP Version: 1.0b (0x0)
LMP Subversion: 0x00
Auto Seek Keyboard: On

Hmm. And now that I fully read through that I see the Address and Firmware are probably not what they should be. Any thoughts?

MacOS 10.15, Clover 5033, VirtualSMC. Is there a specific kext for this bad boy?

Ericsson is the brand of the Intel Bluetooth, macOS will show it has a bluetooth but the button for turning of bluetooth will be greyed out. Previously connected devices will show but nothing will connect.

The solution is to disable the USB port connected to the built in bluetooth. I had the same problem on my Gigabyte board and had to create a SSDT. I have a Gigabyte board so can't offer any specifics, the port I had to stable was 14. I've made a USB SSDT twice now, and on a second machine I used Hackintool, it will generate the needed file and will record which ports are active as you test plug a USB 3.0 in all the physical ports. If you get the built in disabled you may have to do work to enable the USB header your Apple bluetooth is connected to. If everything else is working fine you could just run Hackintool and identify the port with the intel bluetooth, highlight it and then use the delete button at the bottom to remove it. Then output the files, should go to desktop. You will se several but just copy the .aml in place the existing one in the /EFI folder and restart. Then you can use a genuine Apple bluetooth/wifi module, you have to connect the USB cable between the adapter card and the motherboard.

Unless there has been a new development the built in Intel WiFi/bluetooth has no drivers for macOS. macOS can't deal with 2 bluetooth devices installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back