Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG Strix H370-I install hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. We all aspire to have a machine like @pastrychef's!!! I can't say I'd encourage you to follow exactly in those pastry footsteps, though it would be pretty rewarding Geekbench-wise, if you did.

You will need to figure out kexts and the EFI/CLOVER folder sooner or later... now is probably a good time. Good luck! :)

I will look for a USB2 flash drive.
And I found that several other posts relating to the ASUS STRIX H370-I motherboard:
guide-for-asus-rog-strix-h370-i
pastrychefs-asus-rog-strix-z370-g-gaming-wi-fi-ac-build-w-i9-9900k-amd-vega-56

Unfortunately I don't know how to use kext's or replace the EFI folder, need to read up on that.

Thanks ammulder!
  • Please check this post for illustrated steps to access your "Hidden" EFI from USB Installer and upload the CLOVER to the Forum for help->#18
  • If you don't need help, but can open and edit its /CLOVER/kexts/Other with required kexts like USBInjectAll.kext and XHCIunsupported. kext and then open /CLOVER/config.plist by Right-click >open with...Clover Configurator Global and scroll to the Devices SECTION from the LEFT Panel of CCG screen to reach USB section to place [√]Inject [√] FixOwnership, you can do that easily.[See uploaded screen shot of config.plist_Devices ]
  • After editing config.plist > 2nd Arrow bottom Left Panel>Save.

Attachments

• 2.config.plistDevices.png
    2.config.plistDevices.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 93
I got a USB2 flash drive.
Using the Clover Configurator:
  • checked USB Inject and FixOwnership
  • loaded the USBInjectAll.kext, but didn't see XHCIunsupported.kext on the list. How do I get that?
Now I can boot from the USB and get as far as the OSX Mojave install screen:
  • formatted hard drive with disk utility
  • started Mojave install on the disk, but it seemed to hang when it got down to 2 min. remaining.
Thanks cmn699, will work on it tomorrow!

Attachments

• usb_fix.png
    usb_fix.png
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • kexts_installer.png
    kexts_installer.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • boot_msg.png
    boot_msg.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • mojave_to_disk_hang.png
    mojave_to_disk_hang.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 87
That's the point (2 mins remaining in initial install from flash drive) where mine usually spontaneously reboots. If you leave it for a while and it's just totally stuck, I'd try rebooting and see if you can then select "install macOS from Mojave" from the Clover menu (e.g. boot to your system drive to continue with the next stage). In case it's just a failure to trigger the automatic reboot, for some reason. :)

I got a USB2 flash drive.
Using the Clover Configurator:
  • checked USB Inject and FixOwnership
  • loaded the USBInjectAll.kext, but didn't see XHCIunsupported.kext on the list. How do I get that?
Now I can boot from the USB and get as far as the OSX Mojave install screen:
  • started Mojave install on the disk, but it seemed to hang when it got down to 2 min. remaining.
Thanks cmn699, will work on it tomorrow!
  • Please add your hardware(MoBo+CPU+Graphics) to your Profile.
  • I hope you did get XHCIUnsupported.kext to add to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other of USB Installer Disk's EFI.
    • If not, I am uploading it; I got it from RehabMan's GIT.
    • If you are deciding to edit your USB installer's CLOVER, it will be a good idea to edit its config.plist using CCG Clover Configurator (Global Edition) [or any other method you are proficient] in Gui_ Hide Volumes section and adding Preboot to the list of devices hidden. This will make your CBM screen a lot lean and clean and less confusing. [See image]
  • Don't know what type of hard disk is your Target.
    • SATA SSD? SATA Platter Disk? Non-Volatile Memory express Solid State Disk?
    • macOS Mojave, unlike all its predecessors, insists on APFS formatting regardless of SSD or Platter.
    • If you have chosen to use MaOS Extended (Journaled ) [aka HFS+J], to format your target disk, that can cause some delay during installation.
  • You seem to suggest you had a the installation hanging at "2 minutes remaining" within the first 10 minutes of starting of installation.
  • In one case I had, I had a freeze during the last stage of the multi-phase boot after installation was started for Mojave. I have no idea for that strange problem.

• For your freeze, follow the suggestion by ammulder at #14

Attachments

• XHCI-unsupported.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 4.config.plist_Gui.png
    4.config.plist_Gui.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 87
The machine has 2 plain old SATA spinning drives from an older PC:
SATA6g_1: WDC WD5000LP vx-22votto
SATA6g_2: STS00LM012 HN-M500MBB Media

The WDC drive has Ubuntu, I just loaded that to make sure the hardware was good. Ubuntu runs fine.
The "STS" drive is where I am trying to install Mojave.

I can use the Clover Configurator to load USBInjectAll.kext, but how do I manually add the XHCI-unsupported.kext from the file you provided? I copy it in somewhere? Sorry that I am asking stupid questions!

Thank you cmn699

Attachments

• disk_util.png
    disk_util.png
    923.8 KB · Views: 83
The machine has 2 plain old SATA spinning drives from an older PC:
SATA6g_1: WDC WD5000LP vx-22votto
SATA6g_2: STS00LM012 HN-M500MBB Media

The WDC drive has Ubuntu, I just loaded that to make sure the hardware was good. Ubuntu runs fine.
The "STS" drive is where I am trying to install Mojave.

I can use the Clover Configurator to load USBInjectAll.kext, but how do I manually add the XHCI-unsupported.kext from the file you provided? I copy it in somewhere? Sorry that I am asking stupid questions!

Thank you cmn699

Unzip the XHCIUnsupported.zip I sent and extract the kext.
  • Copy and paste that to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/Kext/Other just like USBInjectAll.kext
  • In any difficult to install Hackintosh, it is a good idea to disconnect all other disks from the System keeping only the installing USB disk and the Target disk for macOS connected.

If I hit the reset button and when the Clover boot screen appears I select boot from HFS, it will get to the Mojave install screen, but hang almost at the start, at the 31 min.

Maybe I should give up on Mojave and try High Sierra?

Attachments

• clover_boot_hfs.png
    clover_boot_hfs.png
    390.7 KB · Views: 74
  • clover_options.png
    clover_options.png
    432.9 KB · Views: 74
  • mojave_install_31_min.png
    mojave_install_31_min.png
    515.5 KB · Views: 81
So, that's another place where it typically reboots. I would manually reboot and go back into Boot macOS Install from Mojave and hopefully it will make progress.

I wonder if you have the boot argument that causes it to not reboot on a fatal error? debug=something I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back