Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme Omega X299
CPU
i9-10920X
Graphics
Radeon VII
hi , I have followed @kgp guid for X299 , created bootable USB ( Terminal Method ), trying to install Catalina on brand new Samsung 830 SSD ( formated as APFS ) , no luck getting to installer , experimented with kexts ( trying minimum and going upward ) but with limited knowledge with understanding Verbos lines , I have ended up with nothing.
The last screen shot and EFI folder attached

New build
Rog Rampage VI Extreme Omega X299
CPU i9 10920x
GPU: ASRock Radeon VII
RAM: Corsair vengeance DDR4 64g
one monitor attached through HDMI
MacBook Pro : to configure clover

Any Advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3403.JPG
    IMG_3403.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 147
  • EFI.zip
    19.6 MB · Views: 75
Clover is wrong.
You have Installer version: v2.5k r5103 but with the old(er) folder structure.
Reinstall Clover correctly.

Clover is wrong.
You have Installer version: v2.5k r5103 but with the old(er) folder structure.
Reinstall Clover correctly.

Many thanks , P1LGRIM, I have reinstalled clover, but still same verbose line: "apfs_sysctl_register:1176 "
I'm using USB2 drive and input , and tried your suggestions in this post : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...bol-trying-to-boot-installer-from-usb.254509/
but still going nowhere .
booting with flags -v , slide=0, darkwake=1 , keepsyms=1 , debug=0x100

much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 75
  • EFI.zip
    20.5 MB · Views: 60
I'm guessing that you might need to add WhateverGreen.kext for your graphics card (and maybe a boot argument).
No idea about your processor.

I'm guessing that you might need to add WhateverGreen.kext for your graphics card (and maybe a boot argument).
No idea about your processor.

Thanks, I have added WhateverGreen.kext and used different boot flags .... still stuck on the same screen.
Do you think it’s a CPU issue ( i9 10920x) ?

Regards

slim down all these kexts you have,

needed - make sure you have latest versions, you have old versions.
FakeSMC.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
Lilu.kext
WhatEverGreen.kext
IntelMausi.kext

drivers/UEFI
ApfsDriverLoader.efi
OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi
EmuVariableUefi.efi - you may or may not need this. try with and without.

Less is more in figuring out what is going on.

here are the boot args I am using to for video and Apple TV to work
agdpmod=pikera shikigva=16

BIOS settings are important, some good video's on YouTube on setting them.

and lastly, if you are using a EFI folder that you downloaded, your results will not always be the same. you have to learn and test to get to a working system, then you can go after other issues.

Now that you've gotten past the APFS error, I think your problem is USB related. Maybe try adjusting the XHCI handoff setting in BIOS?

@donw35's advice to use updated kext versions is important, also.

Less is more in figuring out what is going on.

Yes! Try not to use any file until you know what it does, and that it's solving some problem for you. Whenever you reinstall Clover, delete the existing EFI folder first. At the moment you still have some of that old folder structure. See if you can do this and still get as far as you are, in the boot sequence. Even if it seems like nothing is accomplished, it's important to learn what's what.

As a last resort for USB issues with the installer, there's always the option of preparing the install media on an external SATA drive and then installing that drive into your new computer. Boot Clover from the USB, then select to boot off the hard drive with the installer. Another trick that's simpler to try out, and which sometimes helps, is to quickly switch the USB stick from a USB 2 port to a USB 3 port right after the line of ++++ goes away.

Good luck!

Now that you've gotten past the APFS error, I think your problem is USB related. Maybe try adjusting the XHCI handoff setting in BIOS?

@donw35's advice to use updated kext versions is important, also.

Yes! Try not to use any file until you know what it does, and that it's solving some problem for you. Whenever you reinstall Clover, delete the existing EFI folder first. At the moment you still have some of that old folder structure. See if you can do this and still get as far as you are, in the boot sequence. Even if it seems like nothing is accomplished, it's important to learn what's what.

As a last resort for USB issues with the installer, there's always the option of preparing the install media on an external SATA drive and then installing that drive into your new computer. Boot Clover from the USB, then select to boot off the hard drive with the installer. Another trick that's simpler to try out, and which sometimes helps, is to quickly switch the USB stick from a USB 2 port to a USB 3 port right after the line of ++++ goes away.

Good luck!

Many thanks guys
Installed clover again , but didn't work and got the same error verbose.
Created Catalina installer on SSD and booted using Clover USB and chose SSD installer , booted fine until ( language page ) but this time I lost mouse and keyboard function.
Did some research and include kexts+SSDTs ( you can see from EFI folder ) experimented with different ones but no luck . Also tried connecting keyboard and mouse to USB2 and USB3 ports , and tried bluetooth keyboard. All has failed

any advice - as I feel very close from clicking install

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3416.JPG
    IMG_3416.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 58
  • EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
two questions, have you tried the Display port ? are you using a SSD or an nVME ?

two questions, have you tried the Display port ? are you using a SSD or an nVME ?

Hi Donw35,
I’m using SSD as install media , target drive is WD HDD ( as I managed to formate APFS using SSD/HDD dock ) I have Samsung 970 evo plus ( but it’s brand new and can’t format it as don’t have enclosure)

The display is AOC has DP , DVI and HDMI ports , unfortunately no USB ports

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back