Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
I've built before and I'm (pretty) sure I'm not going crazy, but my ATX mobo doesn't fit my ATX Mid-Tower case.

The I/O is pretty bulky and the shield is already pre-installed on this Asus board. I suspect I can't get a tight fit because of this. I can't even get the center standing peg in, but was able to get it where a couple of the the lower pegs could have been screwed in (but not the top ones)

Help!

As you can see most of the screws need about another cm or so...

Attachments

• 20180929_181214.jpg
    20180929_181214.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 277
  • 20180929_181154.jpg
    20180929_181154.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 257
  • 20180929_181234.jpg
    20180929_181234.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 242
  • 20180929_181603.jpg
    20180929_181603.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 221
Any takers? I'm going to contact Asus and Corsair I guess...
Sounds like pilot error to me.
Your manual shows you how to install on page 2-5, note that the shield is attached to the case not the motherboard :

RTFM.png

Corsair said this is a known issue due to the I/0 shield begin pre-installed. I'm really surprised no one has had this issue since this case and mobo are on the buyers guide.

Asus' support team has been an absolute joke. Takes a whole day to respond to each email, and its by a new agent everytime who doesn't understand the situation and offer no advice. On top of that I can't even get approved on their forum to ask one of their members who have been through this..:banghead:
/rant

Unusual. I've never come across a fixed port shield but clearly they are out there. For every build I've done I usually have to battle to get the shield installed in the case and seated fully so I can locate the motherboard properly :rolleyes:.

However @Stork has built a hack' based on this motherboard using a Lian Li case and doesn't mention any fitting problems.

From that last photo you posted and judging by the gap, it looks as though the motherboard is sitting "north" of where it needs to be by about 2mm.

Maybe it's just bad luck in the choice of case? Not helpful I know. Maybe others are more accommodating. Hard to say from here though. I suppose case manufacturers try to cater for the majority of different motherboards - which usually follow the same design.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Corsair said this is a known issue due to the I/0 shield begin pre-installed. I'm really surprised no one has had this issue since this case and mobo are on the buyers guide.

Asus' support team has been an absolute joke. Takes a whole day to respond to each email, and its by a new agent everytime who doesn't understand the situation and offer no advice. On top of that I can't even get approved on their forum to ask one of their members who have been through this..:banghead:
/rant

I have a Maximus Formula IX and X, both fit perfectly in my cases(Thermaltake and Anidees). If you really want, you can remove the shield by unscrewing the mounting screws on the back side of the board (should be 2 or 3) to confirm, but from those pictures it looks like the case itself is slightly out of spec -- it's not going to line up correctly on the PCI slots and so on even without the shield in place. Do you have any other full-ATX boards to check the case tolerances with?

Replaced with Corsair Obsidian 450D Black (CC-9011049-WW) - worked fine. As per local supplier - there are a lot of returns of 300R produced in 2018 due to the very same issue. So, it looks like general manifacturing problem for 300R cases at some point in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back