Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage IV Gene (X79) - It is going to work 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mga

Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get this in hopes it will work some time after the new Mac Pros have been released...

I don't care much about power saving and audio since I will disable all this anyway (it's going to be a DAW), but rather SATA-3 and onboard LAN and just generally X79 support... I think the current Mac Pro's use the Xeon chipsets, so that makes me wonder a bit about future X79 support, but then X58 was on the recommended list a while ago... Got a compatible ATI 6870 already...

My 2nd PC is up for an upgrade cycle and I have a buyer (hard thing to find where I live), so I need to buy something now and I can't wait... My other PC is a i7-2600K so I'm thinking of getting more power with the 3930K instead of just another quad core... I also need mATX form factor.

Yes it will work without power management though.

viewtopic.php?f=264&t=58573

mga said:
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get this in hopes it will work some time after the new Mac Pros have been released...

I don't care much about power saving and audio since I will disable all this anyway (it's going to be a DAW), but rather SATA-3 and onboard LAN and just generally X79 support... I think the current Mac Pro's use the Xeon chipsets, so that makes me wonder a bit about future X79 support, but then X58 was on the recommended list a while ago... Got a compatible ATI 6870 already...

My 2nd PC is up for an upgrade cycle and I have a buyer (hard thing to find where I live), so I need to buy something now and I can't wait... My other PC is a i7-2600K so I'm thinking of getting more power with the 3930K instead of just another quad core... I also need mATX form factor.

Sorry, yes I meant to say it still should work. They are 'slightly' different but it should work none the less. You can use the link below to aid you in your installation as the boards are similar. The Gene is essentially a smaller variant of the Rampage.

I was going to pick up the Gene IV for my new build. Although I'm debating it a little just because I would like to have my system sleep. I like the Gene more than the Rampage because the Gene does not have a fan built into the chipset heatsink. I had a board once with a chipset fan and it died and I couldn't find a replacement for it.

mga said:
eosman said:
Yes it will work without power management though.

viewtopic.php?f=264&t=58573

Thanks, but that's not the same motherboard... Or do you mean all Asus X79 work?

Ah OK. Thanks for the info again. I'll go with it .. :)

Any luck getting your build to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back