Graphics
EVGA 780
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hell all I am having trouble getting to the install point of Mountain Lion. My USB thumb drive works fine and I am able to boot off of it. I select ML install from the BootLoader. I get the Gray Screen with the Apple and the spinning circle. Then the screen goes black and I have to hard restart.

I boot using PCIRoot=1 GraphicsEnabler=No NPCI=0x3000 NPCI=0x2000 and every time it looks like it is working it will then go to the black screen. I have read many of the threads here and I dont see anyone else having the same issue.

Has any one experienced the same problem? I did read that the Video card should be in slot 1 but I cant do that becasue of my radiator from my water cooler blocks the first slot. I would think that if it was a video problem it would not even show up. I looked in the BIOS to see if I could set the second slot to the main slot or disable slot 1 but I dont think it is possible.

My Specs are.
3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz
32GB Corsair Vengance
250GB Samsung 840
Corsair H80i
ASUS Rampage IV GENE

Thank you for any help.

my boot flags are npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 GraphicEenabler=no PCIRootUID=0
if i don't use npci=0x2000 my screen goes blank before it gets to the user login screen.

as for being in the 2nd pcie slot i couldn't tell you, my case is large enough that my h100i in on the top grill of the case.

Thanks for the reply I will give those a shot. I havent been able to get past the right flags.

I had a iH80i and it didnt fit in my Corsair 350D it blocked the PCIe slot 1 and my other RAM slots so I moved to the H100i much better fit.

Are you using a patched BIOS?

I am currently not using a patched bios. I haven't had the time to sit down and learn how to even write a dsdt for my board yet. when i was installing ML 10.8.3 I did have to remove my 670 and put a 8800gt in place to install ML. after the install i put my 670 back in and it works without a problem.

When I installed 10.8.3 on my rampage IV gene I couldn't get to the installer with my gtx 670 connected. Luckily I had an old nvidia 8800gt from an old rig. I placed that in my system and put the boot flags cpus=1 PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -v npci=0x2000. that should allow you to boot to the installer....if it is still hanging try to get an older Graphics card like a 9800gt or 8800gt from a friend. I still have not been able to get my system to boot to the install usb with my gtx 670 only my older 8800gt.

Fellow Gene User,
Shaggy

i'll try to check back on this post again tomorrow

any luck yet DirtDog?

Hey farcry, just wanted to tell you I used your unibeast settings and advice to setup a similar build to yours on a 9-node blade server!

However I could not get Chimera to boot past the black screen after the apple logo without using GraphicsEnabler=Yes, just FYI! npci flag seemed critical as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back