Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I've put together a list of components based on all the research I've done for the compatibility of my build. These are the parts I've compiled:

• Motherboard:
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
  • CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Processor
  • RAM:
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHz (CMD32GX3M4A1866C9)
    - based on the RIVBE QVL for 4 & 8 DIMM socket support
  • GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX770 Classified 4GB Dual-Link
  • Heatsink:
    Noctua NH-U14S for Intel LGA 2011
  • Boot Drives:
    Mac OSX - Samsung 840 Evo 500Gb
    Windows 8 - Samsung 840 Evo 500Gb
  • Storage:
    WD Caviar Black 3Tb SATA III 7200RPM Drives (x2 in Raid 0 or x3 in Raid 5)
  • PSU:
    Antec HCP Platinum Series 1000W
  • Fan Controller/Temp Monitor:
    NZXT SENTRY 2 Fan Controller (5.25-Inch)
  • Optical Drive:
    LG 14x Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter (WH14NS40)

I'm primarily using it for video production, some 3D artwork, and graphic design, but I'm very new to the world of PC Builds and even more so with Hackintosh Builds. Would really appreciate any guidance you all can give regarding the compatibility of these components before I purchase them.

Thanks in advance

Any reason at this point you don't want to wait until the x99 comes out in Q3?

I can't afford to wait because I've been struggling with a Macbook Pro Mid 2010 laptop for my workload and it's pretty much on it's way out. Also support for the current x79 chipset is a lot more accessible and I don't have enough experience to experiment into something like a new tech release yet.

What software will you be using?

what type of footage do you plan to work with(camera formats)?

Will you be adding DeckLink, RedRocket, raid cards, more video cards or anything else to pci-e? If so what exactly?

The R4EBE would not be my first choice for you. Is there a reason you picked the black edition?

As far as Haswell-E, nobody knows what compatibility will be yet and it might be slim to none for a while. It may require extensive hacking just for basic functionality until apple adopts x99 hardware. Definitely not a good choice for someone new in the game at this point. IvyBridge-E is close to vanilla now with the release of the new Mac Pro. With a correct SSDT, OS X sees and uses a 4930K like a Xeon E5 from a Mac Pro, speed step and all. It's not perfect but it's darn good.

Edit: I would also encourage you to pick a single ram kit from Asus's QVL. They do NOT recommend buying 4 sticks and adding 4 more later.

What software will you be using?

what type of footage do you plan to work with(camera formats)?

Will you be adding DeckLink, RedRocket, raid cards, more video cards or anything else to pci-e? If so what exactly?

The R4EBE would not be my first choice for you. Is there a reason you picked the black edition?

As far as Haswell-E, nobody knows what compatibility will be yet and it might be slim to none for a while. It may require extensive hacking just for basic functionality until apple adopts x99 hardware. Definitely not a good choice for someone new in the game at this point. IvyBridge-E is close to vanilla now with the release of the new Mac Pro. With a correct SSDT, OS X sees and uses a 4930K like a Xeon E5 from a Mac Pro, speed step and all. It's not perfect but it's darn good.

I'm going to be running the most recent version of Maverick (10.9.2) and Windows 8 or 8.1 (not sure which is the better choice of the two). Each OS would run on it's own 500Gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD.

The workload software would mainly be Cinema 4D R15 Studio Edition and Abobe Creative Cloud Suite (mostly Premiere Pro, Audition, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom).

I haven't done enough research on the Raid cards since I'm pretty new to custom builds but from what I understand, the motherboard supports raid 0, 1, 5, & 10 configs so didn't think I'd need one. If you think I should invest in one, which do you think I should get based on the specs.

Because of my budget, everything listed is all I'm getting for now… so no real additions to the PCIe just yet. I don't do very heavy 4K work so I'm hoping this would be enough. I would be running dual ASUS PB Series PB238Q 23" LED Monitors, I'm not sure if that would affect anything?

For the mobo, I was originally looking at the P9X79-E WS mobo. In the end I decided to go with the RIVBE because it's one of the most feature packed/customizable and newest (as far as I know) motherboard in the Asus x79 lineup. So figured the BIOS and compatibility would be the most up-to-date out of them all. Also I mainly plan to use the Windows 8 side of the build for gaming. There were a few other reason I went with the RIVBE but I've been research almost 8 hours per day for the last two weeks so my brain is overloaded lol. Given the other components, what would you recommend?

Edit:
For the RAM based on Asus's RIVBE QVL I switched my ram to the Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 32Gb (4x8Gb) Memory Kit (CMD32GX3M4A1866C9). On the list though, I noticed that for that particular kit it's marked for both 4 & 8 DIMM socket support. Does this mean that I could add an additional 32gbs using the same kit when the time comes? Just want to be sure?

I'm going to be running the most recent version of Maverick (10.9.2) and Windows 8 or 8.1 (not sure which is the better choice of the two). Each OS would run on it's own 500Gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD.

The workload software would mainly be Cinema 4D R15 Studio Edition and Abobe Creative Cloud Suite (mostly Premiere Pro, Audition, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom).

I haven't done enough research on the Raid cards since I'm pretty new to custom builds but from what I understand, the motherboard supports raid 0, 1, 5, & 10 configs so didn't think I'd need one. If you think I should invest in one, which do you think I should get based on the specs.

Because of my budget, everything listed is all I'm getting for now… so no real additions to the PCIe just yet. I would be running dual ASUS PB Series PB238Q 23" LED Monitors, I'm not sure if that would affect anything?

For the mobo, I was originally looking at the P9X79-E WS mobo. In the end I decided to go with the RIVBE because it's one of the most feature packed/customizable and newest (as far as I know) motherboard in the Asus x79 lineup. So figured the BIOS and compatibility would be the most up-to-date out of them all. Also I mainly plan to use the Windows 8 side of the build for gaming. There were a few other reason I went with the RIVBE but I've been research almost 8 hours per day for the last two weeks so my brain is overloaded lol. Given the other components, what would you recommend?
Raid compatability is only for the intel sata ports which you'll need to run in ahci mode for your boot drives. You will need a raid card and a Mac compatable one if you want to work with large high data rate video files on the Mac side. Mac can read but not write NTFS. Winblows can't read or write HFS+. Both can read and write FAT32 but fat32 can only have files that are 4GB or smaller. You'll want to pick one OS that you'll be using for your big video work and stick to it otherwise you'll be bangin your head against the wall when trying to work with files between OSs. There are products that allow cross platform read and write for windows and Mac but I hear they are a little buggy and slow compared to native file system. I haven't tested myself.

With the R4EBE, allot of the expense is due to the extra overclocking feature and if you don't plan on constantly messing with your overclock, it seems like a waste. Also I'm not sure about Mac onboard audio compatability. You should look up other members who have that board to see what the pitfalls are. With Hackintosh sometimes newer is worse not better. If windows is more important to you than that may not matter. The only board I can truly vouch for is the R4E because I actually own and know it. However, I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting what you want if you don't mind spending the time to figure everything out. That's what I did when I built my first hack and I learned alot. I'd pick the P9X79-E WS if I were planning on using lots of pci cards (extreme 4k raw davinci resolve workstation with more than 2 video cards). The expense with that board is in the pci bandwidth. Hackintosh for me, is about building a Mac that actually suits your needs and apple doesn't make one that suits mine. Just be wary of trying to use hardware that hasn't been fully proven to work by other more experienced users or be willing to live with partial functionality or spend the time to be the first to figure it out. Or fail trying. My best advice is only use hardware that is tested and proven to do what you want it to.

EDIT: Check out this thread ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition

Re: Audio

Not sure about other long time Hackintoshers, but I personally use an AudioEngine D3 24bit USB DAC.

Not only to you get great digital to analog sound conversion, but it's a USB sound card solution that eliminates any finicky issues with MoBo sound on the Mac (hack) side.

I'm sure it's better for others around here, but several of my Hacks in the past, even with MoBo sound working, had nagging sound issues or "hissing" or just low level line noise, etc, etc.

To me the easiest one stop solution has always been USB sound. Plug it in. Done.

That's just me though.

Hey guys!

I would like to ask some help. I'm planning to build almost the same with a few differences. My question is what u think about my compilation? Could it work without problem?

[TR="class: bg1"]
CORSAIR 16GB Dominatron DDR3 1866MHz CL9 KIT CMP16GX3M2X1866C9
CORSAIR AX760i Digital
CORSAIR Graphite Series 600T white CC600TWM
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4
GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD GTX760 4GB GDDR5 OC PCIE
INTEL Core i7-4930K 3.40GHz 2011
SAMSUNG 256GB SATA3 2,5" 840 Pro MZ-7PD256BW
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800

I wanna use it also for graphic designes, video editing and 3D.Is it a good version of hackintosh for these? I could use any advice or changes.( Compatibility,uploads,installations....)

Thank you for the help, waiting forward for ur answers. :)

Niki

Hey... I have exactly build you are having. have you able to get OSX in your pc yet? please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back