Contribute
Register

Asus Q534UX-BI7T22 Project Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Q534UXK (Clover v2.4k r4259)
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz ( Kaby Lake-U)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake-U GT2) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M (2GB) (3840 x 2160)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi everyone. I picked up an Asus Q534UX a few months back, and with the cold weather setting in have decided to take a shot at installing High Sierra. Here's the overview / basic specs:

Asus Q534UX-BI7T22 (ASUS Q534UXK)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz ( Kaby Lake-U)
Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake-U GT2)
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 WiFi Adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M (2GB)
3840 x 2160

I've also setup a Github repo to keep track of the changes to the Clover configuration, which can be found here:
https://github.com/ninehundredt/Q534UX/

A couple notes before I get into the details of where I'm stuck:

- Laptop has two SSD's (500GB each). Windows 10 is on the first, and the second has been reserved for the OSX install.
- DVMT is preset in the BIOS for 64MB, so I didn't need to perform any of the related workarounds (as far as I know).
- Virtualization options in BIOS have been disabled per suggestion.
- I've already encountered the 'Windows Server Service only ran for 0 seconds' issue, and patched it accordingly.

Right now upon selecting the 'Install OSX' from Clover boot menu, I am not able to reach the installer. I get to a point where there is simply a blank black screen with an underscore at the top. This brings me to my first question:

I have a 4k screen, which makes it very difficult to see the console output (verbose mode) while booting. Is there a way to dump the boot log into a file that can be reviewed later? I picked up one of those 8 x 11 sheet magnifiers, which helps a little. Can use the HDMI out during the boot process and display the information on a larger screen?

Is there anything obvious that I've missed based on what can be seen in my config.plist?

I appreciate any help or hints you can give me! I'll attach my hardware dump to this post for reference (via HWInfo64).

Attachments

• Asus Q534 HW.txt
    112.4 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
I realized that I hadn't added FakeCPUID, so I added the following kexts:

- FakePCIID
- FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics

I'm also using RehabMan's config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist

I'm still unable to get to the installer. I've attached a photo of the console before the screen goes blank. I've pushed my current changes up to my repo, under the 'working' branch. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 272
  • EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 82

- FakePCIID

I'm still unable to get to the installer. I've attached a photo of the console before the screen goes blank. I've pushed my current changes up to my repo, under the 'working' branch. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Sorry about that and thanks for the heads up. I've uploaded the EFI archive, and will look at patchmatic right now.

EDIT: Assuming patchmatic is used for existing installs only? Please let me know if you need any additional information.

- FakePCIID

As per guide, you should use an invalid ig-platform-id due to your 4k display.
In post-install, you can patch for the pixel clock limit with CoreDisplayFixup.kext + Lilu.kext (you may even be able to use these kexts during the install).

Quick update. I finally got High Sierra installed! After setting the invalid ig-platform-id I ran into this problem:

(com.apple.WindowServer.615) (Warning): Service exited with abnormal code:1
(Notice): Service only ran for 0 seconds. pushing respawn out by 10 seconds

I read through the following thread, and per some of the comments removed lilu and intel_graphicsFixup kexts, and set cpus=1 in the boot section of the config/plist.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/service-only-ran-for-8-seconds-error.229219/

Nonetheless this made no difference. Same error upon boot. I then went through the guide again, and decided to use RehabMan's fork of Clover rather than the Unibeast version I had been using. After that I was finally able to reach the installer. I followed the subsequent steps (2 reboots during installation...etc) and now have a semi-working install of High Sierra.

I just finished installing Clover to the HDD, and have wifi via a usb nano adapter. Next steps are:

- Get video working properly.
- Get trackpad working.
- Purchase a compatible internal wifi card and install.
- Investigate any remaining issues / non-functional hardware.

I'm going to create a second Github repo for my post installation configuration, just to keep it separate from the USB installer repo. Once again thanks to RehabMan for all of your hard work and assistance getting me this far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back