1. iOS
Asus Q301LA
CPU - i5-4200U
Video - HD4400
Audio - ALC233
Wifi - AR9485 swapped out for BCM943225 then to an AR9280
USB - 2 USB2.0 and 1 USB3.0
Card Reader - USB2.0 CRW (Product id:0129 Vendor id:0bda Realtek) - Not Working

Still a couple of things to iron out but mostly working.

Since this was the first time using clover, I had to do a lot of reading and figure out what the equivalent of things were with chameleon/chimera.
Follow this guide on creating and installing clover - [GUIDE] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover UEFI . I used the config_HD4200_4400_5xxx.plist configuration plist file

I was able to hack the bios (214 version) to unlock kernel so no patching is needed. (warning – hacking bios may brick your laptop) (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-uefipatch-uefi-patching-utility/?p=2087431)

When installing clover to the target HD, In the essential kexts section you can remove VoodooPS2Controller.kext and put in the elan touchpad driver and also add in RealtekRTL8111.kext
Also added Rehabman's acpi battery kext

DSDT/SSDT edits
I used Maciasl pointed it RehabMan’s laptop repo and patched the following
system_IRQ.txt
system_SMBUS.txt
system_RTC.txt
system_ADP1.txt
system_MCHC.txt
system_Mutex.txt
graphics_Rename-GFX0.txt
graphics_Haswell_0a260006.txt
graphics_PNLF_haswell.txt
battery_ASUS-N55SL.txt battery_ASUS_G75VW.txt
misc_Haswell-LPC.txt
fix_ADBG.txt
fix_WAKv2.txt
system_IMEI.txt
system_OSYS.txt
system_PNOT.txt
fix_FDE.txt
fix_FPED.txt
fix_HID_pnp.txt
fix_IRC.txt
fix_MMTB.txt
fix_PARSEOP_ZERO.txt
fix_PLD.txt
fix_TNOT.txt

Wifi
I swapped out the wifi card (AR9280) because the oem ar9485 was not supported.

For audio
Injection for Layout-id 3
Got the patched applehda from here speakers work. Headphone audio is choppy and low volume (fixed). internal microphone detected but can't get it working.
Modified my own applehda. speakers work, headphones with combo mic work, internal mic don't work.

FN keys
F5/F6 not working (workaround is to use keyboard shortcut in sysprefs)

Card Reader - Not Working

After I patched dsdt, I was able to remove the GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Working
graphics QE/CI working
sleep (open/close lid works, also through menu)
PS2 keyboard/trackpad - multi touch
audio for the most part - internal speakers are fine
ethernet working
WiFi working after changing wlan card. No bios whitelist.
brightness controls working (with workaround)
battery status working
Webcam working (see Post#8 for fix)
HDMI with audio working (see HD4400/HD4600 HDMI testing.)

edit:12/4/2014 There was an issue of no audio after waking from sleep. Applied EAPDFix kext. But that broke USB3.0 hub (where webcam was on). Had to reinstall GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Now, audio and USB devices are all back after waking from sleep.

edit:12/5/2014 Found a better solution. Deleted EAPDFix and GenericUSBXHCI and installed CodecCommander

edit:12/11/2014 redid codec verbs and fixed headphone sound. Tried about a few dozen verb variations
but internal mic not working. Mic from combo jack working.

edit: 1/24/2015
after looking at the battery patches again and thought about doing one specific for this laptop, I found the patches for the ASUS G75VW in Rehabman's repo and it's a better fit. (actually has all the pieces for this laptop and then some. So redid the whole dsdt as I didn't know how to back out the old battery patches.)

Not sure if related, but I can wake from long sleep while plugged in with no problems now.

Here's what I added on recently.
FakePCIID (for HD4400)
ASUS G75VW battery dsdt patches,
Disable the sleep code leaving the controller in non-working state after wake patch (see post 44)

This was a dual boot project. After Yosemite installation, I stuck in USB windows 8.1 to install.

Now I have a dual boot system on SSD.

To do:
Learn how to do clover upgrades. done
Decronstruct applehda and see changes - possibly fix headphone - fixed
Learn how to auto patch applehda - done

Thanks to all the developers of the kexts used.
Special thanks to RehabMan for all the information/guides/kexts/etc... and answering all my RTFM questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Still a couple of things to iron out but mostly working.

Since this was the first time using clover, I had to do a lot of reading and figure out what the equivalent of things were with chameleon/chimera.
Follow this guide on creating and installing clover - [GUIDE] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover UEFI . I used the config_HD4200_4400_5xxx.plist configuration plist file

I was able to hack the bios (214 version) to unlock kernel so no patching is needed. (warning – hacking bios may brick your laptop)

When installing clover to the target HD, In the essential kexts section you can remove VoodooPS2Controller.kext and put in the elan touchpad driver and also add in RealtekRTL8111.kext

DSDT/SSDT edits
For SSDT I kept ssdt6, ssdt8, ssdt9
I used Maciasl pointed it RehabMan’s laptop repo and patched the following
system_IRQ.txt dsdt edits, github.com/rehabman
system_SMBUS.txt dsdt edits, github.com/rehabman
system_RTC.txt dsdt edits, github.com/rehabman
system_ADP1.txt dsdt edits, github.com/rehabman
system_MCHC.txt dsdt edits, github.com/rehabman
system_Mutex.txt dsdt edits, github.com/rehabman
graphics_Rename-GFX0.txt dsdt edits, github.com/rehabman
graphics_Haswell_0a260006.txt edits, github.com/rehabman
graphics_PNLF_haswell.txt
battery_ASUS-N55SL.txt
misc_Haswell-LPC.txt
fix_ADBG.txt
fix_WAKv2, github.com/rehabman -FIX ARG0 GARBAGE
system_IMEI.txt
system_OSYS.txt
system_PNOT.txt
fix_FDE.txt
fix_FPED.txt
fix_HID_pnp.txt
fix_IRC.txt
fix_MMTB.txt
fix_PARSEOP_ZERO.txt
fix_PLD.txt
fix_TNOT.txt

Wifi
I swapped out the wifi card because the oem ar9485 was not supported.

For audio
Injection for Layout-id 3
Got the patched applehda from here speakers work. Headphone audio is choppy and low volume.
Webcam
Not working well. I was able to utilize in Facetime but not in photo booth. – still investigating

FN keys
Used the guide here to get function keys working. F5/F6 not working – still investigating

After I patched dsdt, I was able to remove the GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Working
graphics QE/CI working
sleep (open/close lid works, also through menu)
PS2 keyboard/trackpad - multi touch
audio for the most part (need to check HDMI audio)
ethernet working
WiFi working after changing wlan card. No bios whitelist.
brightness controls working from sysprefs display. Need to find the correct function key.
battery status working

This was a dual boot project. After Yosemite installation, I stuck in USB windows 8.1 to install.

Now I have a dual boot system on SSD.

Nice!:thumbup: (I do too) I think I have a solution to one of your problems:

F5/F6 keys working: If they're brightness keys (might be as I have Asus S400CA and similar to Q301LA), simply configure them in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Display.

I'm also interested to see if you can develop a solution w/ the webcam...:think:

Cheers!

Nice!:thumbup: (I do too) I think I have a solution to one of your problems:

F5/F6 keys working: If they're brightness keys (might be as I have Asus S400CA and similar to Q301LA), simply configure them in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Display.

I'm also interested to see if you can develop a solution w/ the webcam...:think:

Cheers!

awesome! thanks for the tip :thumbup:. I changed it to F5/F6. couldn't do fn F5/F6 but I can live with that.

awesome! thanks for the tip :thumbup:. I changed it to F5/F6. couldn't do fn F5/F6 but I can live with that.

N/P :thumbup:

I don't think it was ever supposed to work as FN + F5/F6 as I don't have that functionality on my laptop either, as with Mac's you don't need to hold down the FN (Or option, whatever it's called on Macs) to change the brightness and volume and all of the function keys.

Cheers!

on my keyboard it defaulted the brightness keys to the pause button for up and fn+pgup for down. remapping is just easier solution crtl-f5,f6

any of you guys having issues with card reader? mine is recognized but if I insert an sd, nothing happens.
I have a realtek card reader

any of you guys having issues with card reader? mine is recognized but if I insert an sd, nothing happens.
I have a realtek card reader

Are you sure the required kexts are loaded? You may need extra kexts / drivers...

If you can enlighten me on how you got your card reader recognized? would be much appreciated :D

Cheers!

For webcam issue, have you applied the OpenGL patch in the sticky thread for HD4400? You should solve :)

For webcam issue, have you applied the OpenGL patch in the sticky thread for HD4400? You should solve :)

:clap: Thank You!

Are you sure the required kexts are loaded? You may need extra kexts / drivers...

If you can enlighten me on how you got your card reader recognized? would be much appreciated :D

Cheers!

I didn't install anything. card reader recognized after I put in the USB dsdt patches.

Will this patch work for Ivy Bridge too? Probably not but just curious ...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back