Contribute
Register

ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4 LGA I9 12900K AMD 6900XT install and support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know if the Z690 chipset and/or the intel processor i9-12900k is being used on the latest iMac or MacPro?
The Intel Mac Pro 2019 uses Xeon W chips not i9s. Mac Pros have only used Xeons since 2006.

20,1 27" iMacs with 10th gen chipsets were the last supported Intel Macs, introduced in August 2020. Apple stopped selling them in March 2022. The M1 based Mac Studio (and display) has supposedly replaced them for good.

Last edited:
The Intel Mac Pro 2019 uses Xeon W chips not i9s. Mac Pros have only used Xeons since 2006.

20,1 27" iMacs with 10th gen chipsets were the last supported Intel Macs, introduced in August 2020. Apple stopped selling them in March 2022. The M1 based Mac Studio (and display) has supposedly replaced them for good.

Sound like this is a real challenge to get everything working.

The prices look pretty good on the processor in the motherboard I have a question for you. I have the Asus ROG strix z390-e with i9-9900k processor. This is a bit off-topic sorry but when you power off your machine and unplug the power cable then plug the power cable back in power up your machine does it go through A couple series of powering off and back on and then resetting the CMOS? My board does this and I seen some complaints out there that their boards do the same thing only on a cold boot but if you leave the power cord plugged in that does not happen. I was curious to see if that happens on your motherboard.

Last edited:
when you power off your machine and unplug the power cable then plug the power cable back in power up your machine does it go through A couple series of powering off and back on and then resetting the CMOS? My board does this and I seen some complaints out there that their boards do the same thing only on a cold boot if you need to leave the power cord plugged in that does not happen.
This probably means that your CMOS battery is too weak to hold an adequate charge. When you unplug the power cord it can't retain the BIOS setting changes and reverts to the defaults. Test it with a Multimeter and see what the voltage reading is. It should be 3.2v or higher. If it's 3.0 or less replace it.

Last edited:
This probably means that your CMOS battery is too weak to hold an adequate charge. When you unplug the power cord it can't retain the BIOS setting changes and reverts to the defaults. Test it with a Multimeter and see what the voltage reading is. It should be 3.2v or higher. If it's 3.0 or less replace it.
I did all that already already checked everything else as well. So your board does not do this?

The responses that I saw over the Internet are the motherboard behaves like that when you pull the power cord out because it simulates a power outage crazy isn’t it so that’s why it happens.

Anyhow after all said and done I was just curious if that happens your board after you power off normally wait a minute or so pull the plug wait a couple minutes then power back up.

[Resolved]

I was working with Asus for over a week between them testing this in their labs and going back and forth. This is normal behavior. If you pull the plug out or turn off the power supply with the Capacitors still charged it will boot to safe mode and reset CMOS. Most Asus boards maybe other brands behave this way? The motherboard senses a power loss. In my case I did a normal shutdown waited about 3 minutes to give it time for the Caps to discharge then pulled the plug. In my case the LG TV HDMI was still supplying power to the board unlike a normal LCD monitor, therefore it sensed the board was not truly powered off. Once I powered down and pulled the HDMI cable and waited a few minutes for Caps to discharge then pulled the power cord or turned off the power switch to the power supply, waited about 5 minutes for a complete cap discharge the board powered up normally.

Sorry about the off-topic.

Last edited:
Has anyone got this board working with a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card(flashed). I use one now with my Z390 board and it works well with my Apple Thunderbolt Display. I'm wondering if I could do the same with this board. I need a microATX board and it looks like there are just a few options.

Also what are your GB5 benchmarks with DDR4 and 12900K?

Has anyone got this board working with a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card(flashed). I use one now with my Z390 board and it works well with my Apple Thunderbolt Display. I'm wondering if I could do the same with this board. I need a microATX board and it looks like there are just a few options.

Also what are your GB5 benchmarks with DDR4 and 12900K?
I'm using an Asus z690 Rog Strix G Gaming Micro ATX board with a flashed Titan Ridge card, works fantastic.
EDIT: No idea how well the setup would work with the Thunderbolt Display though.

I'm using an Asus z690 Rog Strix G Gaming Micro ATX board with a flashed Titan Ridge card, works fantastic.
EDIT: No idea how well the setup would work with the Thunderbolt Display though.
That board looks nice, but it is pricey. Are you using the built-in wifi too, or did you swap it out for a Broadcom module? Did you create your own EFI or modify one of the golden builds?

That board looks nice, but it is pricey. Are you using the built-in wifi too, or did you swap it out for a Broadcom module? Did you create your own EFI or modify one of the golden builds?
Swapped out the intel Wifi/ Bluetooth card and then you can use a slightly modified EFI folder from here: #1,084

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back