Contribute
Register

ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4 LGA I9 12900K AMD 6900XT install and support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the system keep running (not restarting) after you:

1. Updated the kexts?, or

2. Reset MinDate and MinVersion to 0?
At first I restarted manually then it booted quick but about after 20 minutes it restarted and had some issues booting

try this in terminal:
Code:
sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight-V100/*
and then reboot
to see if that helps

also you can change settings for spotlight not to index various files and folders in system preferences and privacy section
It restarts before I can get to it, it's very difficult, im assuming one or two things need to be changed in the oc configurator. It's so close I feel

It restarts before I can get to it, it's very difficult, im assuming one or two things need to be changed in the oc configurator. It's so close I feel
you may be able to boot safe mode to see if that helps

add:
-x to boot arguments in config.plist

after 20 minutes it restarted

Looking deeper into the EFI attached to post # 144 - there is a basic conflict between the versions of OpenCore.efi and BOOTx64.efi, created April 18 2022 for Opencore 0.8.0 and the config.plist file that seems to apply to OC 0.8.4 from early Sept. 2022.

One of the basic Opencore principles is using files that are all from the same version. IOW - you can't mix and match pieces of two different versions. Also, the ACPI folder contains several files that do not apply to your Z690-P motherboard and may cause other conflicts.

At this point you may be better off to revisit @Middleman post - see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z690-chipset-and-alder-lake-cpus.316618/page-170#post-2299430 - and see his comments below in post # 1,696, which respond to your concerns about the black screen.

So basically it worked for 3 hours no problem but I couldn't do things like edit on FCPX on "Safe Mode" I then did a another run were I removed -x and enabled cleannvram.efi at first I got access denied then I tried again and It booted and seemed snappier, I opened fcpx and got an error saying gpu not found I tried editing and I noticed I had fcpx running on CPU and other programs like windowserver and mdstore after about 6 minutes it just restarted again. @NZRichard what's the best way to fix the opencore version problem? "Also, the ACPI folder contains several files that do not apply to your Z690-P motherboard and may cause other conflicts." Which ones did you see that u think should be there, I believe to make the EFI I mixed @Middleman EFI and @CaseySJ Asus z690 proart EFI and it worked but kinda

Attachments

• IMG20220929205232.jpg
    IMG20220929205232.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
what's the best way to fix the opencore version problem

Let's start with your apps - you mentioned FCPX - make sure you are installing the compatible macOS version. And consider possibly upgrading to FCP.

Most likely Monterey macOS 12 will work fine and is probably supported through late 2024. Also, if your apps were more stable with Big Sur then macOS 11 may be a better choice. There is no need to experiment with macOS Ventura.

The key is to work with one version of OC, and this way it's easier to get help.

So there are choices:

To get you going quickly use the pre-built EFI (OC 0.7.4) by @Middleman - see post # 155 above. This EFI folder apparently works with your motherboard - big plus! Check with @Middleman if this OC is working with the latest version of Monterey. And as noted before, don't be too concerned if the screen goes to black during the install - wait and see if the system reboots for the next stage of the install.

Big Sur and Monterey seem fine with OC 0.8.2 or 0.8.3. Monterey does not require OC 0.8.4.

Last edited:
Let's start with your apps - you mentioned FCPX - make sure you are installing the compatible macOS version. And consider possibly upgrading to FCP.

Most likely Monterey macOS 12 will work fine and is probably supported through late 2024. Also, if your apps were more stable with Big Sur then macOS 11 may be a better choice. There is no need to experiment with macOS Ventura.

The key is to work with one version of OC, and this way it's easier to get help.

So there are choices:

To get you going quickly use the pre-built EFI (OC 0.7.4) by @Middleman - see post # 155 above. This EFI folder apparently works with your motherboard - big plus! Check with @Middleman if this OC is working with the latest version of Monterey. And as noted before, don't be too concerned if the screen goes to black during the install - wait and see if the system reboots for the next stage of the install.

Big Sur and Monterey seem fine with OC 0.8.2 or 0.8.3. Monterey does not require OC 0.8.4.
I do not plan on using Ventura for the foreseeable future for my z690 build, I am currently using Ventura beta 7 on another MacBook pro and things aren't working. I do want to upgrade my 12.3 Monterey drive to 12.6 but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that unless I make a whole new computer. Also currently with the Z690 something happened with the computer from when it was restarting and now it give me the apple lock then scrambles the texts when booting even on safe mode -x. I'm going to be attempting a clean EFI build again shortly. The problem with Middlemans EFI is it didn't work with Asus Prime Z690 bios 1620 and now I checked today it has a bios update 2003 which I'm thinking about jumping in because I might as well because as it is right now not working.

I'm going to be attempting a clean EFI build again shortly
Good idea!

OC 0.8.3 would be a good choice for your Monterey setup.

I checked today it has a bios update 2003 which I'm thinking about jumping in
Caution - ASUS recommends only updating the BIOS when a new feature is needed. You mentioned that you were able to boot the Z690-P with the current 1620 BIOS. Updating the BIOS will not solve any of your problems and is best avoided until really necessary.

So I got the computer to boot and having better performance but It did restart after a few hours is this link applicable to my issue? What kind of things should I do to computer while it is working to get things working better? Also still having issues updating to Monterey 12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back