Contribute
Register

Asus PRIME Z490-P Catalina 10.5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
i have almost the same setup and searching for a wifi card to use. I just want to be sure that I understand you correctly, did you just put the BCM94360CS2 in the m2 key e (the m2 port In the middle of the 3) port? I thought it was CNVI locked ? in that case, which adapter do I need to put it in the m2 socket? and the bluetooth works without the usual internal usb thing that's on the most adaptors? Sorry for my many questions :D
hi. it is not CNVI locked ,actually is a a regular " Key E" type like most wifi cards , (user manual page # 1-19) so yea all you need is the adapter
no usb header of any kind
heres what i used apple card BCM94360CS2
here is the adapter i got from from amazon . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HBBB6B/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

and here is the antennas i got from ebay.

dont buy the whole thing just the antennas/bracket

Last edited:
Thanks a lot - works like a charm.

OpenCore is a great help - much easier to configure (especially when having a ready-to-use EFI-setup :) ).

Sure here it is:

after testing that you computer boots fine with the attached EFI folder make sure to do the following
Mount partition
Open O.C folder
Delete SSDT-ASUSZ90-TB3HP.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml from ACPI folder, IF you dont have the Thunderbolt 3 card
if you do then you can leave them where they are.
Open Kexts Folder, delete LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext , this kext is only for the Realtek Pcie card Ethernet 2.5Gbps LAN
so it is safe to delete unless you have a 2.5Gbps card installed
And lastly open the config.plist, make sure to use "ProperTree" to open the config. while im sure you can use other configurators it is always better to use "ProperTree"
once you open the file click File - OC Snapshot , select OC folder (From EFI PC not USB Flash ) --- then again. File. ----- Clean Snapshot -- select OC folder click choose
Navigate to PlatformInfo
here you can put your serial numbers
For i5 and i7 use iMac20,1
for i9 use iMac20,2
MLB,System Serial Number and System UUID you only need those
and dont forget to fill in the field where it says ROM here you can put your computer's real MAC address
you can find it Device manager in Windows or System Profiler in Mac ,,,the format looks something like this b0:2r:99:b0:M0:00 (<< dont use this it is fake)
when you input the number from you PC only put the numbers and letters dont use the litle dots ( : : : :)
File. ---Save
close eveything then reboot

I've been a lurker for a number of years and quietly built a few computers using Clover but this is my first OpenCore. I'd message you privately, but don't have enough posts to do so. Not trying to hijack this thread, but would you be so kind to elaborate on your configs for the thunderbolt card? I've been able to get my build completed using other's tutorials, comments from users like yourself, and the Dortania guide and it runs smoothly (though Geekbench scores are lower than I'd imagine). This morning I added the Asus Thunderboltex 3-TR card and it stops most of the way through boot. I've attached an image of where it stops.

I added the two files from your EFI folder and updated my config file via ProperTree. When I enable Thunderbolt in the bios it stops here. Disabling Thunderbolt in the bios boots perfectly fine.

Attachments

• IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
try without the Thunderbolt ACPI file...or change PCI slot.

I've been a lurker for a number of years and quietly built a few computers using Clover but this is my first OpenCore. I'd message you privately, but don't have enough posts to do so. Not trying to hijack this thread, but would you be so kind to elaborate on your configs for the thunderbolt card? I've been able to get my build completed using other's tutorials, comments from users like yourself, and the Dortania guide and it runs smoothly (though Geekbench scores are lower than I'd imagine). This morning I added the Asus Thunderboltex 3-TR card and it stops most of the way through boot. I've attached an image of where it stops.

I added the two files from your EFI folder and updated my config file via ProperTree. When I enable Thunderbolt in the bios it stops here. Disabling Thunderbolt in the bios boots perfectly fine.
well i got the SSDTS from another user, they work well with my setup, your signature says you are using an A and not a P, but im sure they are very much alike, question is !! can you boot to windows 10 with the card installed ?
windows may or may not any drivers. the idea here is to make sure the card works in windows.once it works properly in windows, it should work with no problems in MacOS ,, once in windows
there will be a new APP in the start menu called "Thunderbolt control Center" and the the thunderbolt card will be listed in Device Manager under "System Devices" open the the APP connect a thunderbolt device like a hard drive or something with thunderbolt, the APP will list the connected device meaning it works properly, If it does not show anything connected then most likely your Settings For the card are not properly configured in BIOS, if you dont any thunderbolt device you can plug a USB-C device it should show connected in the app, try this first let us know if you make it work

Wonderful.
Can someone share the definitive and working EFI folder for pendrive
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I reached the state when I can finally call the system ready to go. It's not fully polished though.

The config isn't a copy of any config from this post. It's based on OpenCore 0.6.3 I set it up based on Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide. I also completed some of the Post-install steps. I didn't do any custom SSDT. I used pre-compiled ones from the guide.

Tested and functional
  • Power management: sleep, auto-sleep, power-off, wake up. The only issue was RTC causing BIOS to show a fail-safe screen. I fixed it by setting DisableRtcChecksum to true.
  • USB: Worked out of the box. I didn't notice any issue related to the missing USB Map, but I made a USB map anyway. All rear ports work (both USB 2 and USB 3). I also enabled 2 front-panel ports. Including the internal HS13 port there are 15 ports in total. So I reached the limit but didn't have to exclude any port.
  • iGPU: Works thanks to framebuffer connectors patch from post #31 (Thanks @RockArtist). These patches solved the black screen issue after boot. But there was one more issue - black screen after wake up. This problem was solved by igfxonln=1 in boot-args.
  • Audio: Works but requires polish. More details below.
  • Network: Works using RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.2. v2.3.0 is causing problems on some routers. More details here.
Known issues
  • Audio: I didn't test all layouts for ALC887 listed here. Using layout-id 11 I got front and rear outputs working. I didn't test microphones. I also know that on this layout the remaining audio outputs are not available.
    Ports auto-detect doesn't work. I have to manually select the output after plugging the headphones into front-panel.
  • USB: I have to press a mouse button twice or tap the keyboard twice to fully wake up the system. The first click just wakes the PC from sleep the second one powers on the monitor. The problem is probably solvable. So far I just followed the first step from the Keyboard Wake Issues section of the Post-install guide - I set acpi-wake-type to AQ== but it didn't help.
  • Boot time: It takes 38 seconds from the bootloader screen (after I press enter) to the login screen. It's too long. My old Z87 Clover based hack running SATA SSD boots in 30 seconds. I don't run OpenCore in debug mode, I disabled all logging. The system is installed on NVMe Samsung 970 Evo Plus. I didn't try to upgrade the drive firmware yet. I didn't test boot speed on Windows or Linux either.
Not tested
  • Big Sur update: I'm still using Catalina 10.15.7
  • HDMI Audio
  • FileVault
  • DisplayPort
  • DRM: I just followed some steps from the Fixing DRM support and iGPU performance section. iGPU acceleration works. Netflix works, video playback also works, but I can't tell if everything is fine because I didn't complete this guide fully.
  • iServices: I just generated serials based on Fixing iMessage and other services with OpenCore guide. But I gave up on testing with Apple Check after reaching the request limit.

Here's my EFI
  • USBMap is created for my setup. If you use this config you'll most likely need to create your own map because of the front-panel that will not match yours as long as you have the same case and the panel is plugged into the same mobo socket.
  • Serials are stripped out. You need to generate these with GenSMBIOS.

Hi, attachment EFI is for the pendrive or for the SSD?

I reached the state when I can finally call the system ready to go. It's not fully polished though.

The config isn't a copy of any config from this post. It's based on OpenCore 0.6.3 I set it up based on Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide. I also completed some of the Post-install steps. I didn't do any custom SSDT. I used pre-compiled ones from the guide.

Tested and functional
  • Power management: sleep, auto-sleep, power-off, wake up. The only issue was RTC causing BIOS to show a fail-safe screen. I fixed it by setting DisableRtcChecksum to true.
  • USB: Worked out of the box. I didn't notice any issue related to the missing USB Map, but I made a USB map anyway. All rear ports work (both USB 2 and USB 3). I also enabled 2 front-panel ports. Including the internal HS13 port there are 15 ports in total. So I reached the limit but didn't have to exclude any port.
  • iGPU: Works thanks to framebuffer connectors patch from post #31 (Thanks @RockArtist). These patches solved the black screen issue after boot. But there was one more issue - black screen after wake up. This problem was solved by igfxonln=1 in boot-args.
  • Audio: Works but requires polish. More details below.
  • Network: Works using RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.2. v2.3.0 is causing problems on some routers. More details here.
Known issues
  • Audio: I didn't test all layouts for ALC887 listed here. Using layout-id 11 I got front and rear outputs working. I didn't test microphones. I also know that on this layout the remaining audio outputs are not available.
    Ports auto-detect doesn't work. I have to manually select the output after plugging the headphones into front-panel.
  • USB: I have to press a mouse button twice or tap the keyboard twice to fully wake up the system. The first click just wakes the PC from sleep the second one powers on the monitor. The problem is probably solvable. So far I just followed the first step from the Keyboard Wake Issues section of the Post-install guide - I set acpi-wake-type to AQ== but it didn't help.
  • Boot time: It takes 38 seconds from the bootloader screen (after I press enter) to the login screen. It's too long. My old Z87 Clover based hack running SATA SSD boots in 30 seconds. I don't run OpenCore in debug mode, I disabled all logging. The system is installed on NVMe Samsung 970 Evo Plus. I didn't try to upgrade the drive firmware yet. I didn't test boot speed on Windows or Linux either.
Not tested
  • Big Sur update: I'm still using Catalina 10.15.7
  • HDMI Audio
  • FileVault
  • DisplayPort
  • DRM: I just followed some steps from the Fixing DRM support and iGPU performance section. iGPU acceleration works. Netflix works, video playback also works, but I can't tell if everything is fine because I didn't complete this guide fully.
  • iServices: I just generated serials based on Fixing iMessage and other services with OpenCore guide. But I gave up on testing with Apple Check after reaching the request limit.

Here's my EFI
  • USBMap is created for my setup. If you use this config you'll most likely need to create your own map because of the front-panel that will not match yours as long as you have the same case and the panel is plugged into the same mobo socket.
  • Serials are stripped out. You need to generate these with GenSMBIOS.
Hi, thanks for sharing your efi, so
i used your efi and:
Internet is slow (2 hours to download catalina)
No dual monitor.
Graphics lagging ( https://streamable.com/50e9kg )
... I'm currently waiting for the download

can these problems be solved in post installation?

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_074206.jpg
    IMG_20210309_074206.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 52
OK,
So I'm attaching my config.plist.
Mind that you'll need (as any of other configs here) to generate your unique machine values. (UUID, SystemBoard etc)

Also attached are debug builds of Lilu and WhateverGreen I've compiled that fixes the black screen of 10.15.5
(future readers: replace those with release WEG/Lilu after they release the actual release).

Also FormerUser-594785 ALC settings might've been wrong? I had different one which works.

So what works?

* UHD630 through HDMI (metal and everything shows fine)
* Audio from all ports
* Audio through HDMI!
* Basic DRM? (Netflix tested on Firefox and is working) but AppleTV+ doesn't.

The real credits go to the wonderful contributors to development.
Looking at the code, it's not trivial bugfixing/patching.

**UPDATE** August 08 2020:
WhateverGreen 1.4.1 is out. please use it or newer (and not the kexts below which are older!)
hi dude
what OpenCore version is relate to config.plist you attached? thx in adv :)

Did anyone manage to upgrade to the newest OpenCore version and install Big Sur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back