Contribute
Register

Asus PRIME Z490-P Catalina 10.5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been able to install on this MOBO. I've tried twice with my own configs from scratch, and all of the EFIs in this thread. I either get a new error or a reboot cycle. maxtools' settings in post 83 give me me only this, a similar error to the one I got from my own config.

I read something about this being an issue with the preboot volume, but I don't even have Catalina installed yet..

Anything thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: ASUS PRIME z490-p, i7-10700k, XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB
look at post 19 for BIOS setting.

Hi, here you have my last EFI OC 0.60. Catalina doesn't have drivers for Nvidia, and think never will have.
Was actually able to get mine to work with this EFI! I suspect it's been my GPU causing trouble. Dealing with Catalina install issues now but at least now I'm getting into OC and the installer. Thank you!

At first, thanks to @CaseySJ for the procedure and @FormerUser-594785 (I used your EFI folder)

Hi guys, my first post here :)
Writing this from my Catalina, all the procedure was straight forward

I was thinking to open a new post in Installation--> Catalina Desktop Support, but cause my motherboard cpu and GPU are exactly the same as you FormerUser-594785, then I add it here.

In resume, same mobo and cpu. Actually I see this platform super stable (like a real Mac?), did some tests using DAW, editing pictures, benchmarks, hardware virtualization. Everything works correctly, without glitches, no hangs, no black screen, no app errors and closing. Now this machine (still in testing) will be my daily work "Mac".

Things that still doesn't work.

Full USB ports, (still no time to fix it)

*this problem is not related to Catalina installation, but as you have the same mobo...

I can't enter to BIOS, tried "everything" even I flashed today to the last versión, the only way to enter BIOS, is disconnect the SATA HDD, SATA M2 HDD, unplug the RAM, turn on, wait... turn off, plug the RAM, turn on, and now yes.
This issue started to happen after I finished my installation. Do you have the same issue?

Like a real Mac, no BIOS :)

thanks again for all your effort.
I had the same problem that you had. I could not enter BIOS after splash screen. I was stuck on booting windows as opencore boot menu was not appearing at all. So i pressed F8 on splash screen which brings boot menu. I selected my catalina drive to boot into Mac OS. On inspecting the EFI partition, I found that Windows had created a boot folder on EFI partition of Mac OS although I installed windows on a seperate drive. I deleted everything on EFI folder, restored it from my Install USB, shutdown, disconnected windows SSD, Restarted and then I was able to enter BIOS

Hi guys,

I'm running into several issues with Asus PRIME Z490-P

Things I did so far:
  • I updated BIOS to Version 1208.
  • I completed the Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide for Comet Lake. I didn't use any config downloaded from the internet. I just did everything based on that guide and validated the config with OpenCore Sanity Checker tool.
  • I didn't prepare ACPI patches on my own. I used pre-prepared ones, downloaded from Dortania's repository.
  • After I ran the setup I couldn't enter graphics mode. I got a black screen after IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3. I solved this issue using framebuffer patches from this post. Thanks, @RockArtist!
  • Then I had problems with RTC. Based on Dortania's guide the problem should be solved by SSD-AWAC patch. But it doesn't' work on my end. Using EFI from this post solves this issue, but I don't know why. Are there any custom ACPI patches there? So the problem is solved, but as I don't know what is the solution I don't consider it to be fully solved.
Remaining problems:
  • Ethernet doesn't work. I can see RTL8111H in system report, but I have no internet connection. The ethernet port doesn't light up when I plug in the cable. It works well on Linux, so there's noting wrong with the hardware.
  • Some USB ports don't work - I didn't do USB map yet. I just grabbed it from this post, so I guess I just have to create my own map
  • I can't wake the system up using keyboard/mouse. I suppose it also might be related to USB map.
Summary:
  • iGPU - works thanks to fb patches
  • Ethernet - doesn't work
  • Audio - I didn't test yet.
  • Power management: partially works. I can't wake the system up from USB
  • USB: partially works. Probably a proper USB map is needed.
  • NVMe: works
  • RTC: works but I don't know why

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm running into several issues with Asus PRIME Z490-P

Things I did so far:
  • I updated BIOS to Version 1208.
  • I completed the Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide for Comet Lake. I didn't use any config downloaded from the internet. I just did everything based on that guide and validated the config with OpenCore Sanity Checker tool.
  • I didn't prepare ACPI patches on my own. I used pre-prepared ones, downloaded from Dortania's repository.
  • After I ran the setup I couldn't enter graphics mode. I got a black screen after IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3. I solved this issue using framebuffer patches from this post. Thanks, @RockArtist!
  • Then I had problems with RTC. Based on Dortania's guide the problem should be solved by SSD-AWAC patch. But it doesn't' work on my end. Using EFI from this post solves this issue, but I don't know why. Are there any custom ACPI patches there? So the problem is solved, but as I don't know what is the solution I don't consider it to be fully solved.
Remaining problems:
  • Ethernet doesn't work. I can see RTL8111H in system report, but I have no internet connection. The ethernet port doesn't light up when I plug in the cable. It works well on Linux, so there's noting wrong with the hardware.
  • Some USB ports don't work - I didn't do USB map yet. I just grabbed it from this post, so I guess I just have to create my own map
  • I can't wake the system up using keyboard/mouse. I suppose it also might be related to USB map.
Summary:
  • iGPU - works thanks to fb patches
  • Ethernet - doesn't work
  • Audio - I didn't test yet.
  • Power management: partially works. I can't wake the system up from USB
  • USB: partially works. Probably a proper USB map is needed.
  • NVMe: works
  • RTC: works but I don't know why

What SMBIOS are you using?
And what EFI folder? (from post number?)

What SMBIOS are you using?
I did everything based on Dortania's Guide, so I use iMac20,1 SMBIOS.

And what EFI folder? (from post number?)
I started with the config created on my own based on Dortania's Guide. But I had problems with the framebuffer that I described in my previous post. I tested various framebuffers but none of them worked. So I grabbed the config from post #31 and took the framebuffer patches from it (I didn't take anything else from it - just these patches). I attached the modified config to this post.

With such a config I was finally able to install and run the system but I still had lots of remaining issues to solve. So then I grabbed the config from post #83 (and also applied the framebuffer patch to it).

Now I'm running the config from post #83 and having all the issues described in my previous post.

The config from #83 post only solved the RTC issue - all the other issues still remain unsolved.

At some point, I would like to run the system on my own config. The reason to replace the entire config with the downloaded one was that I just wanted to check if problems I have are solved by other people already.

At some point, I would like to return to my own config and only apply fixes that are needed. I'd like not only to solve the issues but also to understand what's going on.

Attachments

• EFI_my_config_with_framebuffer_patch.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Update
  • Downgrading RealtekRTL8111 from v2.3.0 to v2.2.2 solves the network issue.
  • I found what causes RTC issues. I only had to change DisableRtcChecksum to true. So I no longer use the config from post #83 because that was the only reason I used it. I use my own config again that's based on Dortania's Guide.
  • I found that the black screen issue is not related to sleep. It's a GPU that doesn't wake up. If the display turns off after inactivity but the system doesn't sleep yet, then it won't wake up. But if I wait longer until the system sleeps then I can wake it up.
So the only remaining issue (that I'm aware of ;)) is the GPU wake-up issue.

// EDIT:
I've just noticed that the patch I took from post #31 has a typo in the device name. There is:
Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) 1</key>
instead of:
Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>

So how come this patch works? @RockArtist where did you take this patch from? Did you make it on your own? Does your display wake up properly?

Update
  • iGPU wake issue seems to be solved. Adding igfxonln=1 too `boot-args` solves the problem.
  • I can't get audio to work on my config. When I replace my EFI with EFi from post #83 then audio works fine. But when I copy/paste the DeviceProperties from that config to mine config then audio does not work. It not only doesn't work but the audio device is not recognized by the system. The speaker icon is grayed out.
    That's the audio section:
    Code:
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
    <dict>
      <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
      <string>Internal@0,31,3</string>
      <key>device_type</key>
      <string>Audio device</string>
      <key>layout-id</key>
      <data>CwAAAA==</data>
      <key>model</key>
      <string>Realtek 887-VB</string>
      <key>device-id</key>
      <data>cKEAAA==</data>
    </dict>
Here's my most recent EFI

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OpenCore 0.63 (updated kexts)
Big Sur - update from Catalina - just perfect! ;)

Update
  • Downgrading RealtekRTL8111 from v2.3.0 to v2.2.2 solves the network issue.
  • I found what causes RTC issues. I only had to change DisableRtcChecksum to true. So I no longer use the config from post #83 because that was the only reason I used it. I use my own config again that's based on Dortania's Guide.
  • I found that the black screen issue is not related to sleep. It's a GPU that doesn't wake up. If the display turns off after inactivity but the system doesn't sleep yet, then it won't wake up. But if I wait longer until the system sleeps then I can wake it up.
So the only remaining issue (that I'm aware of ;)) is the GPU wake-up issue.

// EDIT:
I've just noticed that the patch I took from post #31 has a typo in the device name. There is:
Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) 1</key>
instead of:
Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>

So how come this patch works? @RockArtist where did you take this patch from? Did you make it on your own? Does your display wake up properly?

Update
  • iGPU wake issue seems to be solved. Adding igfxonln=1 too `boot-args` solves the problem.
  • I can't get audio to work on my config. When I replace my EFI with EFi from post #83 then audio works fine. But when I copy/paste the DeviceProperties from that config to mine config then audio does not work. It not only doesn't work but the audio device is not recognized by the system. The speaker icon is grayed out.
    That's the audio section:
    Code:
    <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
    <dict>
      <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
      <string>Internal@0,31,3</string>
      <key>device_type</key>
      <string>Audio device</string>
      <key>layout-id</key>
      <data>CwAAAA==</data>
      <key>model</key>
      <string>Realtek 887-VB</string>
      <key>device-id</key>
      <data>cKEAAA==</data>
    </dict>
Here's my most recent EFI

Check my post #79

Check my post #79

What exactly do you mean? Which part of post #79 do you mean?
  • I don't use FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio and FakePCIID so I don't have anything to remove.
  • In your post, you have layout-id set to 7. I already tried this layout without success.
    I mean: it worked, but only when I copied someone else's EFI from this topic. So the problem must be related to something else than just the layout because when I use this layout in my config then the sound device doesn't show up. The speaker is greyed out.
  • You also have alcid=7 added to boot-args - which takes higher priority than layout-id set in DeviceProperties. This is not required.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back