Contribute
Register

ASUS Prime Z490-A, Intel Core i9-10850K, 64GB RAM, RX 5700 XT GPU

Anyone update to Monterey yet? I did the update, but my sytem keeps freezing/crashing after about 10 minutes of use.

Anyone update to Monterey yet? I did the update, but my sytem keeps freezing/crashing after about 10 minutes of use.
I surprised myself: updated to Monterey straight away instead of waiting for favourable reports, or a later (more problem-free) version, as I might usually have done. I'm happy to report that the only problems I had with this configuration were those attributable to human error. Post your config.plist, if you like, and I'll skim though it (As per usual, first remove your personal system information). Cheers.

First of all, thanks a lot for this guide, it was very useful to setup my rig.

I should only mention that I initially had trouble with the onboard Ethernet adapter. Then I found that in the provided config.plist there is what I think is a mistake. After fixing it, my ethernet started working.

Attached is a picture I found in the OpenCore documentation. In the spot I highlighted with an arrow there should be "0x4". Instead, I found that in the provided config.plist there's a "0x1" (1 instead of 4).

I don't even know how I noticed, and maybe the other value works for other people, but if your card isn't working either, it's worth a shot. It did the trick for me.

Cheers!
I tried both the default config file posted by OP and the config file changed with the values you posted (and double checked using hackintool) and I’m still having problems that I’m not sure are hardware or config issues. The Ethernet works for a few seconds, connects and will even load a page or 2 if I’m fast enough, but then won’t work at all. Wireshark shows it’s sending requests but never getting replies. If I disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet cable, it works normally again for a few seconds. This happens with both config files. Any thoughts on what’s wrong?

Last edited:
The Youbo WiFi card has a Bluetooth chip that is active when you connect a small cable to the card from a internal USB2 header. When I did this, it caused instant wake from sleep. I'm not sure if this was caused by the internal headers (they seem to be connected via a hub) or the card itself. My solution was to just disconect the cable and use a USB2 dongle (Asus USB-BT400) for Bluetooth.
Did you ever fix the Bluetooth instant wake issue with the Youbo card? I had the same problem when I first installed that card in my old build, but it turned out it was a USB port mapping issue that took a lot of troubleshooting to resolve. I'm not sure if you disconnected the Bluetooth cable before or after mapping your USB ports, but you might want to try reconnecting the cable and mapping the ports again with the port for the Bluetooth cable set to Internal to see if that fixes the issue.

I'm considering a new build with the same motherboard as you and wanted to make sure my Youbo card would work with Bluetooth connected for Continuity features (Airdrop, Handoff, unlock with Apple Watch, etc.).

Last edited:
I am having problem with Audio. Tried alcid=7 and a few others based on the ALCS1220A codec but nothing from Line Out. I can get audio if I use my speakers via BT and audio through the monitor speaker so it's kinda working.

Any ideas to get sound out of Line Out?

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same motherboard, but I only have my monitor DisplayPort audio showing up in my Sound Output devices after upgrading to Monterey. I had to remove all the FakePCIID kexts to eliminate kernel panics in Monterey but my audio now no longer works. Here is my DeviceProperties config:

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)</key>
    <dict>
        <key>device-id</key>
        <data>
        cJ0AAA==
        </data>
        <key>layout-id</key>
        <integer>7</integer>
    </dict>

I tried various alcid values in boot-args but the consensus seems to be 7 for this motherboard with ALC1220A.
I also checked that my kexts are indeed loading:

Code:
blah$ kextstat | grep -E "AppleHDA|AppleALC|Lilu"
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
No variant specified, falling back to release
   51    6 0                  0x2e000    0x2e000    as.vit9696.Lilu (1.5.8) 3E44E561-C07C-31E8-B2D7-0F31B5266E45 <9 7 6 3 2 1>
   52    0 0                  0x191000   0x191000   as.vit9696.AppleALC (1.6.7) 8ED222B5-1B68-36B9-A9AA-B25E82F6C840 <51 16 9 7 6 3 1>
  150    0 0xffffff7f97cd3000 0x13000    0x13000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (283.15) 2B3C0A7D-D8F8-3EFF-8952-1BEB1B99E117 <149 147 111 16 9 8 7 6 3 1>

But in IORegistryExplorer I'm not seeing AppleHDAController under my HDEF:
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 6.27.13 PM.png

Also updated all my kexts to the latest versions, and on OpenCore 0.7.6.

Anyone have similar issues or have an idea?

Attaching config also.

UPDATE 12/15/21: Nevermind I figured it out, it was my device id in the config.

Last edited:
I'll follow exactly this build except I won't use any graphic card since my purpose is music production. Any idea if it will work properly with the processor's integrated GPU? Also, 2 quick things:

- any alternative WiFi/Bluetooth card that works w/o having to buy the bluetooth dongle?
- any cheaper cooler option that does the job? building it in Brazil and it's waay to expensive here

I'll follow exactly this build except I won't use any graphic card since my purpose is music production. Any idea if it will work properly with the processor's integrated GPU? Also, 2 quick things:

- any alternative WiFi/Bluetooth card that works w/o having to buy the bluetooth dongle?
- any cheaper cooler option that does the job? building it in Brazil and it's waay to expensive here
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Hi All, long time since last build, taking a chance to build this:

Some information needed as I have the BIOS 2301 does any have this with a working board?
I have built OC boot USB 0.7.6 again is anyone using this model.

Currently, I'm running without dedicated Graphics card.
At present can boot to Install screen then black screen and reboots.

Will delve deeper once I have confirmation of the above.

Back