Contribute
Register

ASUS Prime Z490-A, Intel Core i9-10850K, 64GB RAM, RX 5700 XT GPU

Hey,

Thanks for the detailed build. I have a very similar build but the only difference is I have a R9 280 GPU and also a Broadcom PCIE wireless card that enables me to use Airdrop etc. The problem I am having with my build is I cannot get the front headphone port to work and also my build cannot wake from sleep if I use the onboard GPU too.

I have tried your EFI and it just will not boot for me, it keeps restarting. Have you any suggestion to what I should try. I tried both your builds..the USB and the Internal Boot drive.

Cliff
I assume you have the same motherboard and you have your graphics card installed in the first x16 slot? Definitely remove SSDT-X1_1-ARPT.aml from the acpi folder.

Okay. I will try that and get back to you. Do you get any static sounds from your audio outputs?

Thanks for your help so far. I tried that but it loads half way then the machine just restarts. Have you any suggestions?

Cliff

I got it, problem with you GPU SSDT got me. When I took that out and used whatevergreen it works perfect.

Is it better using your own SSDT as opposed to the ones provided by Dortania? Is there much of a difference in stability or performance?

Thanks for this a guide. Everything working perfect for me now!

Sorry come on again. With your EFI the headphone device on the front port is not working? I can use the boot arg alcid=1 but then I loose your HDMI audio. Do You have the same issue?

Cliff

@cliffDeane

What BIOS Version are you on?

The correct layout ID for this board is 7. So that would be alcid=7. It should already be set by SSDT-ASUS-Z490.aml but adding the boot arg for AppleALC.kext wont hurt. My front panel audio works as expected (Switches between internal speakers and headphones when headphones are plugged or unplugged there) and no static sound (all the outputs sound good and work).

Whatever green must be adding some device properties or frame buffers that are needed by your DGPU. My 5700XT doesn't need much to be recognized and load drivers. SSDT-X16-GPU.aml is very minimal compared to other ACPI injections I've done for my old GPUs in other systems. I've never played with a R9 280.

If you want to use just the SSDTs that are distributed by the developers of OpenCore, just use the ACPI folder from the USB installer and update the config.plist to use those SSDTs. I'd still recomend using everything else from the Internal Boot Drive folder. You can learn more about SSDT-ASUS-Z490.aml by opening the .dsl file I included in the main folder in MaciASL.app. Notes are colored green. If you haven't carefully read the guide, you may want to.

Shiloh's Build for Tristan
ASUS Prime Z490-A - Intel Core i9-10850K - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB - Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 XT
...​
So, 10th generation all models are compatible for Catalina and Big Sur?

@cliffDeane

What BIOS Version are you on?

The correct layout ID for this board is 7. So that would be alcid=7. It should already be set by SSDT-ASUS-Z490.aml but adding the boot arg for AppleALC.kext wont hurt. My front panel audio works as expected (Switches between internal speakers and headphones when headphones are plugged or unplugged there) and no static sound (all the outputs sound good and work).

Whatever green must be adding some device properties or frame buffers that are needed by your DGPU. My 5700XT doesn't need much to be recognized and load drivers. SSDT-X16-GPU.aml is very minimal compared to other ACPI injections I've done for my old GPUs in other systems. I've never played with a R9 280.

If you want to use just the SSDTs that are distributed by the developers of OpenCore, just use the ACPI folder from the USB installer and update the config.plist to use those SSDTs. I'd still recomend using everything else from the Internal Boot Drive folder. You can learn more about SSDT-ASUS-Z490.aml by opening the .dsl file I included in the main folder in MaciASL.app. Notes are colored green. If you haven't carefully read the guide, you may want to.
Thanks for your reply. My R9 280 has always worked out of the box, never needed any kexts or drivers. I find your EFI and your SSDT boot extremely fast compared to mine. It could be just my OCD but I like the way you have it all done in one SSDT as opposed to most ACPI folders have a few different .aml files in there. Just seems so much more streamlines and not adding unnecessary injections.

I have learned so much from your EFI so thank you! Would it be possible for you to give me one SSDT that works with the onboard HDMI? Or is that possible? I tried editing the SSDT but does not seem to work for me. If you have one complied without your Wifi card and GPU that would really help me.

From your tutorial I was able to map out my USB ports exactly the way I want. So thank you for that too.

My last issue is the SSDT...I seem to get a higher Geekbench with your SSDT, too.

My bios version is - 1003 too

Thanks for your reply. My R9 280 has always worked out of the box, never needed any kexts or drivers. I find your EFI and your SSDT boot extremely fast compared to mine. It could be just my OCD but I like the way you have it all done in one SSDT as opposed to most ACPI folders have a few different .aml files in there. Just seems so much more streamlines and not adding unnecessary injections.

I have learned so much from your EFI so thank you! Would it be possible for you to give me one SSDT that works with the onboard HDMI? Or is that possible? I tried editing the SSDT but does not seem to work for me. If you have one complied without your Wifi card and GPU that would really help me.

From your tutorial I was able to map out my USB ports exactly the way I want. So thank you for that too.

My last issue is the SSDT...I seem to get a higher Geekbench with your SSDT, too.

My bios version is - 1003 too
You are very welcome. I too learned most everything I know from other helpful users in the community. I wrote this guide to pay it forward.

The Wifi card and dGPU are separate SSDTs, so if you don't want them included in the ACPI injection, you simply remove the .aml files from the ACPI folder and remove the entries from the config. Or, you could disable their entries in the config which would allow you to easily re-enble them later (not really applicable for you with these since you don't ever want them). So, SSDT-ASUS-Z490.aml as it already is, is exactly what you are asking for.

Many SSDTs vs everything in one should be functionally the same. I prefer just 1 for each physical device. SSDT-ASUS-Z490.aml is for the motherboard.

Onboard HDMI is not effected by SSDT-ASUS-Z490.aml. The device property "AAPL,ig-platform-id" "0300C89B" is set in OpenCore's config.plist. 0300C89B is to use iGPU for computing tasks only. 07009B3E and 00009B3E are to use the iGPU to drive the main display. I did not inject this device property via SSDT so that other users could more easily change it in the config.plist. Try 07009B3E first and if it doesn't work, try 00009B3E.

So, 10th generation all models are compatible for Catalina and Big Sur?
I didn't say that ALL 10th gen are compatible. However, this system closely mimics the iMac20,2 which came with Big Sur (as far as I know). If you want to use Catalina, you might need to spoof the CPU and iGPU device IDs but I'm not sure. Catalina does not have drivers for my dGPU so I went straight to Big Sur. There may be some 10th gen CPUs and Mother Boards that require significantly more more work to get running. So far, this is the only 10th gen Intel hardware that I have experience with.

Back