Contribute
Register

ASUS Prime Z490-A, Intel Core i9-10850K, 64GB RAM, RX 5700 XT GPU

Hi All, long time since last build, taking a chance to build this:

some information needed as I have the bios 2301 does any have this with a working board?
have built OC boot USB 0.7.6 again is anyone using this model.

Currently running without dedicated Graphics card.
At present can boot to Install screen then black screen and reboots

Will delve deeper once I have confirmation of the above.
I was able to install macOS Catalina with this board and a dedicated graphics card (RX 580) using BIOS 2301 and OC 0.7.6 without any problems, but I do have some post-install issues (system POSTing in safe mode when restarting, no ethernet, instant wake if the USB port for my Bluetooth adapter is enabled) that I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet.

I was able to install macOS Catalina with this board and a dedicated graphics card (RX 580) using BIOS 2301 and OC 0.7.6 without any problems, but I do have some post-install issues (system POSTing in safe mode when restarting, no Ethernet, instant wake if the USB port for my Bluetooth adapter is enabled) that I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet.
That is good news Gobias, and thanks. I can now take that out of the equation.

Next: BIOS settings, do you use shiloh's with his EFI's?
as earlier posts indicate that you must use OC 6.5. which makes me think a lot of changes would and could affect the updated OC and BIOS.

As I have built the EFI with OC 7.6 like wise your bios settings would be help-full, as there are a number of differing options of bios settings on the Internet for the Z490 chipset.

That is good news Gobias, and thanks. I can now take that out of the equation.

Next: BIOS settings, do you use shiloh's with his EFI's?
as earlier posts indicate that you must use OC 6.5. which makes me think a lot of changes would and could affect the updated OC and BIOS.

As I have built the EFI with OC 7.6 like wise your bios settings would be help-full, as there are a number of differing options of bios settings on the Internet for the Z490 chipset.
I did reference his EFI and guide, but I followed the OC guide and made my own EFI. I've attached the EFI for my Catalina installer and my BIOS settings. I hope they help!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
  • BIOS_setting.txt
    29.8 KB · Views: 73
I did reference his EFI and guide, but I followed the OC guide and made my own EFI. I've attached the EFI for my Catalina installer and my BIOS settings. I hope they help!
Thank you, Gobias, for the files. How did you export the BIOS settings? As I think it will be easier to export mine, print and compare!

Although I do have my machine installed with the latest Big Sur version and running stable,

Although, sleep it sleeps but not waking with mouse or keyboard, and have to setup my USB ports.

Thank you, Gobias, for the files. How did you export the BIOS settings? As I think it will be easier to export mine, print and compare!
You're welcome. In the BIOS Advanced mode, go to Tool\ASUS User Profile and choose Load/Save Profile from/to USB Drive to save your settings to a FAT32-formatted USB drive.
Although I do have my machine installed with the latest Big Sur version and running stable,

Although, sleep it sleeps but not waking with mouse or keyboard, and have to setup my USB ports.
FYI: XhciPortLimit is broken in macOS 11.3 Beta 2 and newer, which prevents you from mapping USB ports. I think I read somewhere that there's a workaround, but I opted to just download the latest version of macOS before 11.3 I could get, which ended up being 10.5.7 (19H15), to map my ports first and then update to Big Sur.

I was able to install macOS Catalina with this board and a dedicated graphics card (RX 580) using BIOS 2301 and OC 0.7.6 without any problems, but I do have some post-install issues (system POSTing in safe mode when restarting, no ethernet, instant wake if the USB port for my Bluetooth adapter is enabled) that I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet.
Did you end up solving these issues? OP's guide didn't work for me but your EFI did (so thanks for that ^^)! Only I'm having the same issues now (ethernet doesn't show up and POST safe mode on restart).

I have got issue with the same hardware on Monterey. I just adapted config.plist for OC 0.7.6 (without that it could not boot). MacOS boots ok but at random times after I log in it either reboot or hand. Any help is much appreciated.

No overclocking done yet and Windows 11 is stable and all stress tests pass

Did you end up solving these issues? OP's guide didn't work for me but your EFI did (so thanks for that ^^)! Only I'm having the same issues now (ethernet doesn't show up and POST safe mode on restart).
Yes, I did.

To fix Ethernet, in your config.plist:
  1. Under DeviceProperties/Add, change PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0) to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
  2. And under NVRAM/Add/7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82/boot-args, add dk.e1000=0
To fix the POST safe mode issue, in your config.plist, under Kernel/Quirks, set DisableRtcChecksum to True.

I've attached my latest config.plist that includes these changes.

Attachments

• config.plist
    28.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I have got issue with the same hardware on Monterey. I just adapted config.plist for OC 0.7.6 (without that it could not boot). MacOS boots ok but at random times after I log in it either reboot or hand. Any help is much appreciated.

No overclocking done yet and Windows 11 is stable and all stress tests pass
I have fixed the issues by replacing shilohh's aml files with ones from Drtania's guide and adapting them to my hardware. They look similar so I am still not sure what was wrong. Also my PC does not wake up properly - it wakes up but with black screen

Back