Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Does anyone know if the Asus P9X79-E WS will work as a Hackintosh or not? I'm considering switching to it for the new Ivy Bridge E 4960X CPU. Just looking at the specs it seems everything should be fine except the audio. How would I get the Realtek ALC1150 to work? Is that what the Voodoo option is in Multibeast?

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P9X79E_WS/#overview

Does anyone know if the Asus P9X79-E WS will work as a Hackintosh or not? I'm considering switching to it for the new Ivy Bridge E 4960X CPU. Just looking at the specs it seems everything should be fine except the audio. How would I get the Realtek ALC1150 to work? Is that what the Voodoo option is in Multibeast?

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P9X79E_WS/#overview

Use a USB powered dac, the asus USB dacs are known to work but it's a $500 purchase.
I'm not worried about audio, and sadly external cards is the best way to go as most don't even need the drivers as they're plug and play and all work in OS X.

I'm pretty much doing the same as you but may drop down to just the standard 6-core because of the price of the dac (sorry gotta make a cut somewhere...)

How did this workout? Im also interested!

I got this working with a 4930K. All is good except for USB3. Does anyone have this motherboard and have USB3 working properly?

I got this working with a 4930K. All is good except for USB3. Does anyone have this motherboard and have USB3 working properly?

Not sure if this will help, but perhaps it might. The chipset controlling your USB 3.0 is the ASMedia1042 chipset... download the attached zip file from the link and it should help get your USB3.0 working.

Good luck, I hope this helps! :thumbup:

zip.gif
ASMedia1042 10.zip (210.6 KB)

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79E_WS/#specifications

• USB PortsASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
    4 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
    Intel® X79 chipset :
    13 x USB 2.0 port(s) (10 at back panel, black, 3 at mid-board)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help with this. I just tried those CalDigit kexts and it works with some drives but not others. I have an HGST Touro Portable USB3 drive that is working, and I have a Seagate GoFlex Portable USB3 drive that does work at all. It won't mount and doesn't show in Disk Utility at all. It does work on the USB2 ports and works on the USB3 ports on my MacBook Pro.

Ive been trying to get an ASUS P9x79 Pro working since Late 2012 and its been the biggest waist of money I have had, I managed to get it working just last week, but then after switching off the system and switching it on again it died, then replacing the motherboard has put me back to square one, they dont seem to want to play happily with OSX at all, so much trouble. I have just ordered a Gigabyte board to replace the two ASUS boards I have here which are destined for the bin!

Also noticed that there is such a lack of help for ASUS boards on this site, best stick to Gigabyte...

Chris

I have to disagree with you there. I started with a Gigabyte motherboard, and like most other motherboards they are pretty limited in resources. If you want to fill multiple slots there is no way to run graphics cards at x16 and even a lot of x8 cards will be forced to run at x4. Asus seems to be the only motherboard manufacturer that bothers to add PLX chips to their boards to add resources and lanes for PCIe slots.

I couldn't even get all my cards to work together on a Gigabyte motherboard, but not a problem on an Asus motherboard AND I even have 2 graphics cards running at x16 and other slots at x8.

I've had no issues getting my Asus motherboards working in an OS X install, except for USB3. That always seems to be the only issue, but that's even a possible issue on Gigabyte motherboards. I'm not even using a DSDT on this P9X79E WS install. Except for the USB3, it's been the most problem-free install I've done so far.

Man... The problem is IGPEnabler=Yes on the Unibeat.
On the boot put IGPEnabler=No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back