i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First off I just want to say how much help this community has always been. If it hadn't of been for people like samisnake, thelostswede, or macman, I don't think I would have gotten this computer to be as stable as it is.

Alas, there is always something that holds up a perfect Custom Mac. On this current machine it is updates and Thunderbolt. I installed 10.7 and cannot update to 10.7.5 or any other versions of Lion. I tried downloading direct from Apple's website and doing the Software Update method. Still no can do. Machine is stuck on 10.7 but the good news is that everything works marvelously. Sleep, ReStart, USB3, etc....

Now, on to Thunderbolt. I did research on here and using Google and it seems as if it will be a NO GO on ever getting that item to be recognized by Mac OSX on this board. So, I will ask if anyone has found any hope of getting it to work or the versions of it from makers like MSI, ASRock, etc... to work.

This board seems like a good board to use for a build as it has many nice features and has a lot of expansion but if we can't get it to be updatable or fully utilize the hardware then we may as well return the board and get another motherboard from of course Gigabyte.

Hardware in use.

Asus P8Z77V-Pro/Thunderbolt
Core i5-2500K
Kingston Value 1333Mhz RAM for install
Samsung 830 256GB SSD

Let me know if any other hardware information is needed and thanks to anyone for their help.

what happens if you try to update to 10.7.5?

pretty sure tonyd had thunderbolt working on that board, tested with a TB to ethernet adapter. message him for confirmation.

If I download from Apple's website then it just starts the install and says it failed!

If I try the update software method then it attempts the install and says that the file must have corrupted during download as it cannot download it.

I will look for tonyd, and Pm him about this board. I like the board just need everything working.

samisnake thanks for those patched BIOS. It made a world of a difference.

sounds like a software issue, rather than a hardware (motherboard) issue.

reason i say that is all the boards are pretty much similar. there are many models, but they share a similar platform, with bits added or removed.
if other z77 asus boards had the same updating issue, wed know about it.

try repairing disk permissions and hard drive.
boot into the usb installer, then go to disk utility and repair from there.
then boot into osx and try the update.

if that doesnt work, as a test do a clean install on a new partition, with 10.7.5 unibeast stick (redownload lion from the appstore) or go to mountain lion.

Latest progress.
Removed, GPU (GTX480, if it matters) and was able to do 10.7.5 update plugged into DVI PORT on back of motherboard.
This however, creates an nVidia patch error at boot followed by a KPanic.
Alas, some progress but still stuck with an unbootable machine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back