Contribute
Register

ASUS P8Z68 Dual boot OSX and Windows 7 [BOOT ISSUE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
77
Motherboard
OSX 10 / WIN 8.1
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
CPU: i5 2500k
BOARD: ASUS P8Z68 V PRO
GPU: XFX HD4890
STORAGE: OSX 60GB SSD Sata3 + WIN7 500GB HDD Sata2
DSC00096.jpg


I managed to get 10.6.7 running on this board via iBoot Legacy, Retail installation, 6.7 combo update, multibeast & chimera but I was then unable to get my Windows drive to boot because the OSX SSD seems to always take priority no matter what boot order I set in Bios.

On my last board I had profiles in Bios so I had one profile for OSX86 and one profile for windows.
It meant I had to enter bios to switch from OSX to Windows and vice versa but I didn't mind as it was simply a matter of switching profiles which took seconds.

On this new board (P8Z68vPro) there are no profiles in Bios except for some Overclock profiles.
I tried setting up different boot orders and saving them to the OC profiles but that did not work.

Anyone got any ideas?

PS: I already tried changing SATA mode to IDE from AHCI and it made no difference.
I was wondering if this is something related to Chimera bootloader?

Its really bloody annoying, I tried all sorts of things (easybcd2) today and managed to get back into my Windows installation but then I corrupted the OSX boot I think.
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
24
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K (4.6 GHz)
Graphics
NVIDIA XFX GTS 250
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
It's not really a permanent solution but you can just press the boot menu key (not sure what it is for your mobo, might be esc, f8 or f12) and just select your windows drive when you want to boot into it.
 
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
77
Motherboard
OSX 10 / WIN 8.1
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
chroniX said:
It's not really a permanent solution but you can just press the boot menu key (not sure what it is for your mobo, might be esc, f8 or f12) and just select your windows drive when you want to boot into it.

Thanks for the response Chronix.

EDIT: Seems the F8 trick worked... funny but in all my time of building systems I have never had to use the F8 boot menu o_O
Oh well lets hope this method keeps working. :thumbup:
 
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
88
Motherboard
Asus P8P67-M
CPU
Intel Core i5-2300
Graphics
XFX HD-567X-ZHH3
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
When you start the comp, during Asus logo or bios POST screen press F8 to enter boot device selection menu. Instead of DEL to enter bios. This should work.

Then you can select Win disk to boot Win. If boots - then this part is ok.
Then you can select OSX disk to boot OSX. If boots - then this part is also ok.
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
153
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
SoundFu said:
chroniX said:
It's not really a permanent solution but you can just press the boot menu key (not sure what it is for your mobo, might be esc, f8 or f12) and just select your windows drive when you want to boot into it.

Thanks for the responmse Chronix, thats what I used to do on my old motherboard sort of because I had profiles set up for each OS.
But this method doesn't work on the ASUS P8Z68 mainboard as the boot order is over-ridden by the OSX bootloader.
I literally have to disconnect the OSX drive to get into the Windows drive now.

I spent several hours messing with this last night, I've seen posts saying its easy to get OSX and windows to play nice even on the same drive but I have failed so far in getting them to work together. I can get a Windows boot choice screen up but the OSX option results in a black screen stating there is no boot cfg. When I get the Chimera boot working, the option to boot into windows results similarily. No boot cfg found.
What am I doing wrong?

When you get to the Chimera boot screen... just pick the "System Reserved" volume for your Windows boot disk... done deal. Otherwise you can do the F8 before the POST to pick the boot drive from the UEFI BIOS or hit DEL to entire the BIOS and from the EZ screen just pick on the bottom right the disk you want to boot from...

Easy win.
 
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
290
Motherboard
MSI MEG Unify Z490i
CPU
i9-10850k
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Weird that boot order isn't doing the trick. Strangely there are 2 places in UEFI that show boot/HD order. I'm not sure how they interact but I know that on my P67 I've managed to change that order up (between Win on HD and OS X on SSD). If you want to change it dynamically then that's another story (I'd just use F8 when you want to not use the default).
 
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
88
Motherboard
Asus P8P67-M
CPU
Intel Core i5-2300
Graphics
XFX HD-567X-ZHH3
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
JoshNYC said:
Weird that boot order isn't doing the trick. Strangely there are 2 places in UEFI that show boot/HD order. I'm not sure how they interact but I know that on my P67 I've managed to change that order up (between Win on HD and OS X on SSD).

I think it's working ... but it's veeery confusing. :? :p
 
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
77
Motherboard
OSX 10 / WIN 8.1
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
dmazar said:
JoshNYC said:
Weird that boot order isn't doing the trick. Strangely there are 2 places in UEFI that show boot/HD order. I'm not sure how they interact but I know that on my P67 I've managed to change that order up (between Win on HD and OS X on SSD).

I think it's working ... but it's veeery confusing. :? :p

:clap: :shh:
 
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
77
Motherboard
OSX 10 / WIN 8.1
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
mwparrish said:
When you get to the Chimera boot screen... just pick the "System Reserved" volume for your Windows boot disk... done deal. Otherwise you can do the F8 before the POST to pick the boot drive from the UEFI BIOS or hit DEL to entire the BIOS and from the EZ screen just pick on the bottom right the disk you want to boot from...

Easy win.

dmazar said:
When you start the comp, during Asus logo or bios POST screen press F8 to enter boot device selection menu. Instead of DEL to enter bios. This should work.

Then you can select Win disk to boot Win. If boots - then this part is ok.
Then you can select OSX disk to boot OSX. If boots - then this part is also ok.

Thanks for the F8 tip guys, seems I hadn't tried that (as I said I just used to change profiles to boot on old board) but its strange that changing the boot order in BIOS didn't have the same effect as choosing the Boot drive using F8.
This is still a bit of a 'cheat' way of dual booting but its better than reinstalling everything again.

As for dual booting Windows and OSX off the same drive, I think I figured it out but what all these guides floating around fail to mention is that OSX will NOT install on an MBR formatted disk (I tried and it said I needed to format the partition using GUID). It requires a GUID formatted partition which is not what you want to hear if you have just spent 40 minutes installing Windows on a default MBR partition. Basically means wiping the drive (because you can't partially format as GUID, it has to be the whole thing).

So if you want to put OSX and WINDOWS on the same drive, you need to format it to GUID first (not MBR which is what Windows will format it as by default), then install Windows and then install OSX.
The other problem with this method is that to format as GUID you would need an existing OSX system already setup unless theres an alternative command line way of doing this. Thats way too clever stuff for me though. :crazy:
So yeah you need 1 drive for a simple OSX setup, then from that you format your other drive as GUID then install WIndows and then install OSX onto it.

Not yet tried this but in theory that should work.
Do tell me if I'm wrong though. :? :think:
 
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
77
Motherboard
OSX 10 / WIN 8.1
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
double post :?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top