Contribute
Register

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Buildout

Status
Not open for further replies.
lxlifestream said:
Could you explain how you were able to get Windows to boot in efi and install on gpt?

My environments are segregated. Each has their own HDD. Easiest way to dual boot is to get OSX running and then unplug the SATA connection from your drive and boot into the windows install DVD without Chimera and just install it normally. Once its installed you can plug your OSX drive back up, make sure the boot priority didn't change and select WIN7 from Chimera. Outside of just running OSX my HDDs are installed as so:

1 - OCZ 6G SSD (OSX & APPS)
2 - 1TB WD (OSX Storage) w/ 100GB Parted out for my nightly clone of drive 1.
3 - INTEL 40GB 3G SSD (WIN7 & APPS)
4 - 1TB WD (WIN7 Storage & Games)

robaczek66 said:
Hi everybody,
I am finally succes with my Mac based on ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe on Lion onboard as well.
I use i7 2600k, Radeon 5770, Patriot 2x2GB 1600Mhz CL7, OCZ SSD Vertex3 60 GB, Revoltec BeQuiet Dark Power P9 550W, Pentagram Bluetooth instead of build on board one.
Everything working great exept FaceTime - veryfication error!!!.

During the intalation I need to run Lion Installer as -x (safe mode) and after first time fresh Lion instalation with PCIRootUID=1 otherwise cannot reboot.

What webcam did you go with?

For anyone skimming this build thread, I am looking for a proven product to add IR capabilities to this system. Anyone recommend an IR blaster for Hackintosh or have a blog/web article for one you have built yourself that works?

Thanks alot!
One last thing i swear haha!
Could you copy and paste your boot plist here (;

This is what mine looked like from when i was using the gigabyte board.
Will it identify my Radeon 6870 Black Edition as a 6870 on this board as well?

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=x86_64</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>PCIRootUID</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

lxlifestream said:
Thanks alot!
One last thing i swear haha!
Could you copy and paste your boot plist here (;

This is what mine looked like from when i was using the gigabyte board.
Will it identify my Radeon 6870 Black Edition as a 6870 on this board as well?

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=x86_64</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>PCIRootUID</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Get rid of this:
<key>AtiConfig</key>
other than that I think it looks just like mine, can check this afternoon. Definitely don't need the above because you have vanilla support. It will show it as a 6870 with 1GB RAM but not black. The benefit to the black is that its silent.

I am thinking about doing this build, have you guys had success with getting Sleep to work??? Also how are the geekbench scores for this build.

brisc0, I saw in the other thread that you had issues with your geekbench score being in the 11k-12k range instead of 16k, were you able to get it resolved.

Thanks

thashef said:
I am thinking about doing this build, have you guys had success with getting Sleep to work??? Also how are the geekbench scores for this build.

brisc0, I saw in the other thread that you had issues with your geekbench score being in the 11k-12k range instead of 16k, were you able to get it resolved.

Thanks

1.) Sleep works fine, bluetooth using my adapter doesn't wake with the machine so you have to restart to get bluetooth back. Alternatively the onboard bluetooth works fine but doesn't support the magic trackpad and if your using lion without a magic trackpad, your not really using lion so whats the point? Solution, I don't use sleep.

2.) Geekbench: I used that auto DSDT maker to create one for this board and it bumped my bench from 11.2 to 13.5ish. I don't over clock and I could likely get this higher but honestly its in the 13K range so again, I don't really care to spend the hours dissecting it to squeeze out another couple drops of performance I won't taste anyways.

Lastly, my general thoughts on the board. This board is great. It makes an awesome hackintosh and an equally monstrous Win7 gaming machine which is pretty much the total package for me. If you have 4 or 5 builds under your belt this will be pretty easy for you. Any OSX86 you build is going to have a learning curve. Your going to try to install, its going to fail, or stuff isn't going to work and your going to spend hours whittling the 5 or 6 big problems down to 1 or 2 you can live with. Thats the nature of the beast. I would say total build/tune time to get this running well is 8-12 hours and then if you don't fuss with it, it will work great. I think this is my 9th or 10th OSX86 and maybe 20-25th time to build a PC so the hurdles felt a little more like speed bumps. But there were a couple challenges to overcome to get it gold.

Bottom line, if you want a lion machine that you can put to sleep, get perfect benches out of, and never feel like you haven't got it 100%, go get a Mac, its worth the extra thousand bucks. If you want a pretty easy build with minor frustration (assuming you know your way around the community, dark, shady, back alleys included) this is your board. If you want something similar, yet much more widely support on here, consider the P8P67 Pro or Deluxe. I also run one of these and its a rock. I encoded 60 movies over 22 hours 3 days ago and it didn't break a sweat.

Wish I could tell you that if you buy this gear its going to make your dream Mac, but thats just not how it works. On a scale of 1-10 this was a 3 for me to build and get to a happy place (milage may very from my happy place to yours), if your a perfectionist this might be your white whale. Finally, to close this much more long winded post that I intended, if you have the success I had with this board, you really won't realize its a PC 95% of the time. Remember just because someone else got a geek bench of eleventy billion doesn't make yours any less badass at 11.5K. Its all a matter of personal preference and what you can call good.

Hope this helps,

Brisc0

Posted this to the install guide thread, but may be more appropriate here. Looking for ideas/advice on what to do about strange bios behavior.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the guide. I've been moderately successful at installing Lion so far. Struggling a little to get the Raid 0 to work though. Since I already have a working Snow and Lion install with boot Raid on a GB X-58 UD5 board I skipped the first part of the guide. That semed to be OK sofar.

My motherboard is acting kind of weird in the bios though. I only get to see about the upper left 3/4 of the screen. It's as if the monitor was in a 1024x768 mode but the bios image is at 1600x1200. Once booted into Lion the display is fine, Lion correctly identifies the monitor and graphics board. Ive hooked up a 19 and 24 inch monitor as well as a 1080p TV. The graphics board is a XFX 6870. When I switch to advanced mode there are also color/distortion/fuzz errors on the screen.

Anybody have any ideas? Do I need to just exchange the board? Is it likely the XFX 6870? I did use it briefly in a z68-ud4 and all seemed well.

@ Bris0

Can i ask how you used Auto DSDT patcher, last time i checked this board wasn't supported by it.

Also the topic for it has gone down on MacRumours, if you've got the latest copy would you mind uploading it on here so can download it?

Thanks

Tom

brisc0, thanks for the info. I still can't decide between this motherboard and the P8P67 Deluxe that you mentioned. I guess I have to read more and pull the trigger on one of them.

brisc0 said:
thashef said:

Thanks

1.) Sleep works fine, bluetooth using my adapter doesn't wake with the machine so you have to restart to get bluetooth back. Alternatively the onboard bluetooth works fine but doesn't support the magic trackpad and if your using lion without a magic trackpad, your not really using lion so whats the point? Solution, I don't use sleep.

2.) Geekbench: I used that auto DSDT maker to create one for this board and it bumped my bench from 11.2 to 13.5ish. I don't over clock and I could likely get this higher but honestly its in the 13K range so again, I don't really care to spend the hours dissecting it to squeeze out another couple drops of performance I won't taste anyways.

Lastly, my general thoughts on the board. This board is great. It makes an awesome hackintosh and an equally monstrous Win7 gaming machine which is pretty much the total package for me. If you have 4 or 5 builds under your belt this will be pretty easy for you. Any OSX86 you build is going to have a learning curve. Your going to try to install, its going to fail, or stuff isn't going to work and your going to spend hours whittling the 5 or 6 big problems down to 1 or 2 you can live with. Thats the nature of the beast. I would say total build/tune time to get this running well is 8-12 hours and then if you don't fuss with it, it will work great. I think this is my 9th or 10th OSX86 and maybe 20-25th time to build a PC so the hurdles felt a little more like speed bumps. But there were a couple challenges to overcome to get it gold.

Bottom line, if you want a lion machine that you can put to sleep, get perfect benches out of, and never feel like you haven't got it 100%, go get a Mac, its worth the extra thousand bucks. If you want a pretty easy build with minor frustration (assuming you know your way around the community, dark, shady, back alleys included) this is your board. If you want something similar, yet much more widely support on here, consider the P8P67 Pro or Deluxe. I also run one of these and its a rock. I encoded 60 movies over 22 hours 3 days ago and it didn't break a sweat.

Wish I could tell you that if you buy this gear its going to make your dream Mac, but thats just not how it works. On a scale of 1-10 this was a 3 for me to build and get to a happy place (milage may very from my happy place to yours), if your a perfectionist this might be your white whale. Finally, to close this much more long winded post that I intended, if you have the success I had with this board, you really won't realize its a PC 95% of the time. Remember just because someone else got a geek bench of eleventy billion doesn't make yours any less badass at 11.5K. Its all a matter of personal preference and what you can call good.

Hope this helps,

Brisc0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back