Contribute
Register

Asus P8P67 PRO + XFX 6850 = BIOS problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI MEG Unify Z490i
CPU
i9-10850k
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I finally caved: gave up on the GTX460 and bought a Radeon 6850. It's the XFX (with dual fans). It's working great from OS X 10.6.7 with the ATI drivers installed from MultiBeast. Performance-wise, I'm seeing around 50fps in Cinebench 11.

However... :?

The first thing I noticed was that the type under the American Megatrends BIOS logo was missing. Then I discovered that I couldn't get the BIOS to come up. I tried a CMOS reset and instead of the partial BIOS American Megatrends logo I got a full screen of random video garbage. I'm going to try to put the GTX 460 back in this evening.

Asus says there might be an incompatibility between the card and the board. But I think a lot of users are using this chipset on their P8P67 PROs, no?
:banghead:

The system is connected to a 720p display.

Any ideas?

I'm currently using DVI (tried both ports). I pulled the 6850 and reinstalled the 460 and all was well again. I'd think the 6850 is bad if the issue wasn't so specific. All my rendering tests in Win and Mac OS worked fine. It's just the settings screen (and eventually booting at all if I do a CMOS reset with the card in) that are the issue. So weird... I think I'm going to RMA card. Hopefully it's not the motherboard...

AndyStubbs said:
Is it worth updating the mobo bios before rma'ing the card?

Hey Andy. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I updated to 1502 last night but it didn't really change anything (except maybe the look of the video noise displayed ;-) ). I've RMA'd the card. We'll see what happens. NewEgg is (awesomely) shipping me a replacement overnight.

But I agree that it feels more like some kind of incompatibility instead of a hardware problem just because it's so specific.

Just talked to XFX tech support. They said 99% chance it's the card that is bad (a problem with VESA mode).

Good to hear it's the specific card that's defective, and not the 6850 in general.
I'm not having issues with mine so far, but it's a Sapphire (from Newegg as well).

Thanks. Me too :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back