Contribute
Register

ASUS P8P67 PRO rev 3.0 - sound no worky! Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Win 8, Mountain Lion
CPU
i5-2500k @ 4.3
Graphics
EVGA 670 Sig 2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi hackintoshers,

I am running an OS X 10.8.3 without a DSDT with a patched BIOS version 3602. I have got working 90% of the system, including sleep (afaik!) and bluetooth / USB 3.0 / SATA III etc. One thing I cannot get working for the 5th day, after having tried pretty much everything I could find on the forum is the sound! I don't want to go ahead and install Voodoo driver just yet, as that seems to be crap and cause issues and some people have happily got sound working on boards using same audio chip.

First of all, I have tried using a DSDT for my mobo I got from the library right at the beginning, but that one doesn't work as it seems to be for 3.1 revision of my mobo (just doesn't boot, think it's a kernel panic on startup). Currently it happily works without a DSDT.

Anyway, my mobo has the ALC 892 chip and I have tried:
- Installing an ALC 892 kext from under with and without a DSDT section of Multi Beast.
- Installing different version of ALC 829 in an act of desperation.
- Using a .pkg solution posted somewhere on this forum which tried to sort all my drivers out. It did for the most part, but not the sound still.

Would installing an ALC driver in under "With DSDT" section of Multi Beast be the problem? Though I have cleaned the S/L/E folder for any ALC 892 / AppleHDA etc. kexts and then installing a kext from Multi Beast in under "Without DSDT" section afresh, but no worky.

Any ideas? Maybe I should delete some kexts and try installing the one "Without a DSDT" ALC 892 driver from scratch. In which case - what kexts should I delete (so I can reboot fresh and run Multi Beast to install the driver)?

Many thanks in advance!

Any recommendations? Sounds like a trivial task, having seen people get sound on similar builds?

non working applehda audio is a known problem with certain asus p67 boards (yours included) when using 3xxx bioses.

your options are to either downgrade to a 2xxx bios (google downgrading asus p8p67 bios) which will then mean you can use applehda, or use voodoohda.

although iirc, you need a 3xxx bios to use nvidia 6xx cards, so youre pretty much left with having to use voodoohda. delete the applehda kext(s) first
eidt- actually, looking at the p8p67 bios page, the only mention of 6xx cards is
3.Fixed Nvidia GTX 680 hang when runing with UEFI driver.
so you might be able to use a 2xxx bios with the 670

however, the 2xxx bioses have their own issues, such as needing the ssdt copied into the dsdt, so its pretty much a lose-lose situation.

Thanks! It's good to know it's a known problem and to do with applehda.

I started my build with a 2*** bios in the first place and as you say, it has its own weird problems that are hard to define in order to fix. Mainly the reason for patching my own BIOS and I haven't had any kernel panics so far on this one (touch wood), so I would like to keep it.

Hmmm... Is there any known movement on getting the P8P67 3*** BIOS boards to work with applehda? OR even better X-FI Xtreme Gamer PCI sound card drivers? I know that Creative have released new drivers for Windows 8 (recently I guess), does this play any role in helping to make it work for OSX?

I will try the Voodoo sound in the evening. I am aware that this is not the best solution to have, but at least it's something! Flash videos should start working too hopefully.

well atm im using a 2xxx bios. apart from having to add the cpu info into the dsdt, its alright. i would like the benefit of the 3xxx bios, but ive had a board with via audio in the past, so i hate voodoohda compared to patched applehda.

toleda looked at the 3xxx issue, from what i remember it appears that with some p67 using 3xxx boards a phantom audio device is seen in the ioreg dump.
with it only affecting a handful of boards, i doubt we'll ever see a fix for it, but tbh im not that bothered.

afaik, the x-fi cards only work with voodoohda, and even then they might not work properly.

The sheer amount of headache I've personally had with 2*** bios makes me not want to go back and try again =).

Thanks for the info! Voodoo kext it is then! Maybe it will get my X-FI working and if not, at least the ALC should come to life to have some sort of sound going on. I only use hackintosh for work anyway, Windows 8 is my entertainment hub - so not too concerned about having the best sound on hackintosh. Cheers!

So:
- Kill all ALC*.kext
- Kill all AppleHDA*.kext
- Reboot (??)
- Use Multi beast to install VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 kext

delete applehda.kext and HDAEnabler***.kext.
then download dpcimanger http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpcimanager/ and repair permissions and rebuild cache.

reboot, then select a vooodoohda option in MB.
you might have to test the different versions of voodoohda. when i had a via audio board, i found that 0.2.7.1 (or whatever version it was) was better than the latest.

problem i had with voodoo was that in flash videos, the sound would start 5secs after the video did, the video would then pause for the audio to catch up. also would make loud bang sounds. quite annoying.
you could just get a cheap usb adapter eg. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-1-3D-su...uterComponents_SoundCards&hash=item35b0368563

you wouldnt need to install anything for that to work, but see how you get on with vooodoo

The DCPI Manager crashes on startup (GUI comes up for a second and the "app closed" message from OS). Any alternatives?

Edit: I can probably just use Disk Util to repair permissions and use -x flag on start up to flush the cache.

Ok! Thanks samisnake for the direction. Running the Voodoo driver - oh hello noise... quite bad noise :D. Is this what you meant by trying different versions? Or do they all give same background noise? (X-FI hasn't been picked up by Voodoo).

if one doesnt work properly, try another (can just install over the old one, no need to delete).
try the 0.2.1 one first, thats the one i had best results with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back