RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Everyone:

I decided to take some time and write this guide for installing and running retail SnowLeopard strictly on an ASUS P7P55D board http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=RBA8CzWoopUlYRFZ using Tonymac's guides as a reference point.

Here were my results as Tonymac stated in the blog:

About this Mac - Intel Quad-Core Xeon for i5/i7 by default.
Sleep/Wake - works.
USB - works.
Audio - VoodooHDA and kXAudioDriver works (see below why I installed a kXAudioDriver).
Sata Hard Drives - works (are not orange but are grey still). They show up as external drives.
Video - works.
Ethernet - works.

My specs are:
Core i5-750 Lynnfield
ASUS P7P55D running bios version 1307
EVGA 8800GTS video card
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro (yes, this old sound card works even up to 10.6.3 and this is why I installed the kXAudioDriver).
Logitech MX518
Logitech Classic Keyboard 200 (I switched to a Kensington multi media ps2 keyboard model #64333 after registration).
MAUDIO FastTrack PRO

I am also dual booting with Windows 7.

I suggest that you have a laptop handy or mobile phone with internet to help with this guide since your main pc will be used only for installing until you get ethernet working. Take a look at this guide a few times and get organized about it as it will make this experience a little less painful (hopefully) and look also at the links before you start the process so that you can become a little familiar on what to look for. Do not rush this! Take your time and read everything carefully since you will need to ensure you are following the steps clearly.

I am no expert and just started doing this with a new pc build but this is what I did as a noob. I won't be able to answer your technical difficulties questions because I am not an expert. All I know is that I have 10.6.3 running stable based on the steps that I took.
The only thing I can answer is what I did during the process.

These are the materials you will need to install and I suggest that you download them from Windows 7 and save them. OSX will allow you to browse folders for files on your Windows partition :thumbup:.

Download tonymacx86-P55BootCD-ASUS found here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=197&p=1246#p1246 and burn to a CD or DVD.

Download http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1017/en_US/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3.dmg and store it on another drive or burn to a CD/DVD whichever is easiest so that you can run the update without having to use the internet since it will be disabled at first. I stored it to another SATA NTFS drive using Windows 7.

Lastly, download multibeast http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/02/multibeast-ultimate-post-installation.html and store it somewhere that you can access it.

OK let's start -
Step 1 - On another MAC (not where I did the install to), I did a restore to an 8 gig USB drive using the SnowLeopard DVD. This will allow you to boot from the USB drive and run the installation process. Go here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/os-x-snow-leopard-install-using-retail.html and follow only step 1 of the link if you don't know how to do a restore.

Step 2 - After you're done restoring SnowLeopard to the usb drive, take it and plug it into one of the usb drive slots on your PC (where you plan on installing to). If you want to be able to see your SATA drives and install OSX on them, you will need to enter your bios and on the Main tab go down to storage configuration and change Configure SATA as from IDE to AHCI. If you are going to install on say a 250 g external hard drive then don't worry doing that however the reason you might want to do that is so that if you are going to dual boot to windows 7, you will want to leave it on AHCI. Note: I did a fresh install of Windows 7 with the AHCI option selected already before installing SnowLeopard.

Step 3. Once you've made your adjustments in BIOS, hit F10 and yes to save. System will restart. Press F8 to load the boot from list of devices. Select your CD/DVD drive. The tonymacx86-P55BootCD-ASUS will load the bootloader and display a row of drives on the screen. The first one will be the actual tonymacx86-P55BootCD-ASUS, don't choose that, with the arrow on your keyboard, go right until you see your USB drive with a white apple logo where you did the restore to. Hit enter.

Step 4. You will boot into SnowLeopard installation screen. Now, first thing is to go to disk utility and select what drive you want to install to. Follow Step 4 here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/os-x-snow-leopard-install-using-retail.html.

Step 5. Once the installation completes which was about 30 minutes for me, restart. Leave the tonymacx86-P55BootCD-ASUS in your drive and Press F8 to load the boot from list of devices. Select your CD/DVD drive again. It will probably load in -V mode (you will see all the system load files on the screen, not the grey boot logo. This is fine and you can fix this later. After, you will see the Snow Leopard welcome screen. The system will load the registration steps (put what you want there). You will need to use a usb keyboard to register at first! You should now see your desktop if everything went ok. By default, my resolution was 1024 by 768 with no working ethernet, sound, or sleep after installing 10.6.0.

Step 6. Next, find your 10.6.3 Combo Update from Apple (remember you were supposed to save it somewhere before) and run it. Once that is done, restart. Again, leave the tonymacx86-P55BootCD-ASUS in your drive and do the F8 boot option once your system restarts. Once the bootloader loads from the CD/DVD, select your SnowLeopard install and hit enter.

Step 7. To get your ethernet working, go to http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/install-os-x-snow-leopard-directly-from.html and follow step 3. Once you repair permissions, go to System Preferences in OSX and choose ethernet connection type. It may take a few minutes for the system to recognize that the RealtekR1000SL.kext has been installed just wait a little bit (you should get a message confirming this on the screen). If about after 5 minutes it doesn't work, restart and do the System Preferences step again for ethernet. The reason why I did it this way is that once I got to multi-beast and chose to RealtekR1000SL.kext, it didn't work (More on multi-beast further in this guide).

Step 8. Time for multi-beast's help. Go here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/02/multibeast-ultimate-post-installation.html and follow the guide. I used EasyBeast within the multibeast install options to get the bootloader working without having to leave the tonymacx86-P55BootCD-ASUS in the CD/DVD drive. I also chose the following options:

Chameleon > None.

Audio > VoodooHDA (for onboard Audio).
I installed an Audigy 2 Platinum Pro since I'm using PCI audio card with the following http://download.kxproject.lugosoft.com/downloads/kXAudioDriver-1.0b2.dmg, otherwise don't install this if you aren't using this PCI card for sound).

Graphics > NVEnabler64.kext (this will allow your video display resolution to match your correct monitor resolution for example 1680 x 1050 for me when after the initial install it was 1024 x 768.).

Network > Skipped because I already installed it in step 7.

DSDT (didn't choose any)

Extras > 64-Bit.com.apple.boot.plist (I only chose 1 to be safe.)

Kernel > None.

Standard Snow Leopard Kexts > fakesmc.kext / jMicronATA.kext

Utilities > ShowAllFiles / Kext Utility

Disk Utilities > It was checked by default and left it like that.

Step 9 - If you want to get your dual boot working without having to hit the F8 boot option, you will need to go into Windows 7 and install easyBCD. You will want to run this program and select Add-Remove entries and choose MAC > type X86 and name it whatever you want. Restart and you should eventually get to the boot manager which will list your Windows 7 and OSX install. Select your OSX install name and you should see the Tonymac bootloader working its magic and load SnowLeopard ;) .

On a side note: ps2 keypoard is also working without adding any extra kext files.... I used a usb keyboard during the initial snow leopard installation to register etc... but I'm using a Kensington multi media ps2 keyboard model #64333 instead.

The only problem I found and this is because I installed NullCPUmanagementPowerManagement.kext is that I cannot get the system to sleep or for the monitor to turn back on after the display turns off because I haven't messed this it enough but there is a guide here that may work for this install. After I upgraded to 10.6.3, I installed a new sleep kext located here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/ and scroll down to 10.6.3 SleepEnabler.kext and click on http://xnu-sleep-enabler.googlecode.com/files/SleepEnabler.10.6.x.zip.

The problem I had with sleep is that it didn't work with the screen saver starting first and then having the display turn off, but I don't really care about that since I rather my system sleep anyway. So, I put the screen saver time to start after the system goes to sleep to allow sleep to work.

Lastly, I didn't get the Apple boot logo to show after the install so I followed the guide here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/enable-apple-boot-screen.html which will show the boot logo instead of all the system files on boot. By default it puts -v into com.apple.boot.plist that is located in /Extra.

Thanks to Tonymac for all the guides and everyone else that has contributed for making this possible and good luck!

Please keep in mind that this guide was for installing strictly with my specs and I have no clue whether or not these series of steps will work on another ASUS P55 board or any other type of P55 board.

Core i5-750 Lynnfield / ASUS P7P55D bios version 1307 / EVGA 8800GTS / G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) / COOLER MASTER HAF 932 / CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / Audigy 2 Platinum Pro / Logitech MX518 / Logitech Classic Keyboard 200

Thanks for the guide, do you think this guide also work on the asus p7p55d pro version?

Is there any other way to install Snow leopard without using osx to prepare files , I don't have any osx system (only windows) to prepare usb bootloaders etc.

I don't know if it will work for that board but it probably will since the only difference that I see in the two is that the pro has an additional PCI express slot. Give it a shot!

I put this guide up strictly for the P7P55D model since I didn't see any posts on it.

I think I tried the boot cd method to install directly from the dvd and it didn't work and that is why I went to a usb restore from an existing install. I didn't mess too much with it though, maybe you can get it to work that way at least to load up to the installation screen and you should be fine after that.

The CD boot guide is here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/install-os-x-snow-leopard-directly-from.html and do just step 1 for the initial 10.6.0 install.

First of all thanks for your help.
I have followed all the steps in the tutoril but when I start the installation I recive an "EBIOS read error: Device timeout block 0x43 SECTOR 0"

My hardware is:

motherboard: ASUS p755d pro with I5 750
4GB RAM CORSARIR 1600
ASUS ATI RADEON 4850
750 gb Maxtor HD (blanck for the OSX intallation)
WIFI board (I don't remenber the model)

I have tried to boot with Boot ATI, boot ATI 3 and tonymacx86-BootCD-ATI
but always the same error.
I have a wmware instalation with snow leopard and it works fine (except that I can't update to version 10.6.2) actually with version 10.6.1.

Please, I need help. I want to develop with XCode and it needs the verson 10.6.2 to works.

Any help would be really apreciated, thanks.

I thinking of upgarding my motherboard to a ASUS which 775 asus would ok for
useing OSX86?

thanks

xstation

spec
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
motherboard: MSI G33M (MS7357) (socket775)
Intel E6750 2666Mhz (8x 333)
Chipset: Intel Bearlake G33
BIOS: AMI
Grapics: Radeon X1650 (512)
Audio: Realtek ALC888/1200 Intel 82801IB ICH9
CD/DVD DRIVE: Philips SPD2412T

Many thanks for your spreadsheet

There is a 775 there that seems to have no problems and there is a new one on ebay

many thanks

xstation

slash said:
Good evening tutti.Ho a problem with the installation.
I bought snow leopard 10.6.3 from the Apple Store prorpio today, but after many attempts I could not even make it to start the installation.
After changing the settings on the bios to ahci and acpi enable p55bootcd insert the disk, insert the appearance of Chamelon SL I press f5 and enter, "buuum" restart, then try again by entering the flag "-v-x cpus = 1 busratio = 21", "buuum" reboots or rather turns off the monitor and hear the CPU fan to best but does not restart automatically, i have to press the off button and then on again.
I do not know what to do. Please help!

ps sorry for my bad English, but I'm Italian and I translated with google translator.
-------------------------------------------------- ---------------
MB: asus P7P55D; RAM: 2X2GB OCZ3G1600LV2G, HD: 2X Seagate ST3500418AS (500GB RAID-0, 250GB RAID-1) 1X MAXTOR STM3320820AS; VGA: Sapphire HD5770 1GB SUP.: MODU82 + ENERMAX 525W.

Slash, this guide is outdated.

Use this guide for installing with an ATI card.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4603

hi this is great job thanx a lot

but i'm looking for a solution of multi boot .. let me explain

i made osx installation on a blank sata maxtor hard drive
i have already a mutli boot solution working before with grub and can load linux or win 7

but i' have certainly missed someting ...

so if i want to boot on osx i have to change my hard drive configuration in the p7p55d bios to AHCI the i boot directly on osx and can reach my other partition
and i have to do it again but change hard drive settings to Ide mode to boot on grub

if i try to boot on win 7 with ahci i'm getting a blue screen an crash during win 7 boot

i have also tried with plugin osx HD on the JBmicron SATA controller and the just have to change my boot order, but with this i can't reach any other hd even Dvd optical drive

so what i'm ideally looking for is a solution like add a new grub entry for osx but i still will have to deal with achi or ide mode on asus bios

i'm pretty sure that i missed sommeting or my answer is somewhere but haven't see it

thx for any answer
& again thx for great job here
renard_arg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back