Contribute
Register

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 OSX El Capitan (10.11) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding to my previous post, where I said that all things work, is not completely true (which I found out later on).

Like you ohhfajitas, I also cannot make all of my USB ports to work.

But I have another bigger problem, which is, that obviously my system runs slowly than on Maverics.
I thought it's just a feeling ... But than I run Geekbench (old an newest version) and I was quite shocked when it showed numbers around 6k, but on Maverics it was almost 10k !

Any ideas what could it be ??

Well, found the reason for the lag !
Changed SmBios from iMac14,2 to MacPro5,1 an voila - Geekbench back to 9k+ ;)
Also the system is more smooth now.

Last edited:
Regarding to my previous post, where I said that all things work, is not completely true (which I found out later on).

Like you ohhfajitas, I also cannot make all of my USB ports to work.

I got them working, or at least some of the front panel ones. I haven't tested the 2 back panel that weren't working, and I only have one pair of front panel USB ports that I have tested (USB910 as printed on the board and in the manual), but I assume the others work as well.

I downloaded clover configurator, mounted my EFI partition and loaded up the config.plist that clover uses. There should already be several options enabled by default, but the only things I toggled were under the "ACPI" section and I selected a few DSDT patches. I toggled "Change EUSB to EH01" and "Change USBE to EH02". Though USB still did not work after a reboot until I added the "USBInjectAll.kext" to the clover kexts to load for 10.13. I'm not sure if only the kext is needed, or if the DSDT patches are as well.

Note:
I also added a kext patch to enable trim support on my SSDs which were not showing as supporting trim. This was also done via clover configurator under "Kernel and Kext Patches", but this should not be related to USB. Also everything works, though I still haven't messed with audio as I use a USB headset. Sleep/Wake works and I get about 9K on geekbench as well using MacPro5,1. So everything but SAS works as far as I can tell.

Great info ohhfajitas, I will try that later today !

Which kext did you use for TRIM and also where can I get USBInjectAll.kext ?

-----

(EDIT)

And what means SAS ?

Oh, and which High Sierra version did you install ? I have currently 10.13.1 ..

Do you think it would it be wise if I upgrade to 10.13.4 ?

----

Thanks !

Last edited:
Great info ohhfajitas, I will try that later today !

Which kext did you use for TRIM and also where can I get USBInjectAll.kext ?

I didn't use a kext for TRIM, it was a kext patch that you can enable via the clover configurator. And RehabMan has a bunch of USB fixes/Kexts that you can find on his github page.

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All

And what means SAS ?

SAS is Serial Attached SCSI. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI. It doesn't matter for you, but the V1 version of our board and the V2 as far I am aware are exactly the same except the V1 included a SAS controller which made it a bit more expensive. I've used SAS drives on a hackintosh before, back in 10.6, but I didn't bother this time as I'm using SSDs. Overall SAS is an interface similar to SATA, but for enterprise so it does have quite a few advantages, but it and the drives cost a bit more.

Oh, and which High Sierra version did you install ? I have currently 10.13.1 ..

Do you think it would it be wise if I upgrade to 10.13.4 ?

I did a fresh install using the latest Unibeast and Multibeast for High Sierra with a 10.13.4 installer. I think if everything you have changed is via Clover or a DSDT you should be good. I believe all we have is the audio and networking that has to be patched possibly after upgrade. It might be something we can write a patch for to have clover do, but I don't think there are many people using our boards to make it worthwhile.

I'd upgrade, but I'd also make a bootable backup/clone my drive, or at a minimum copy my home directory or files I really do not want to lose.

My next step is to buy one of those expensive wifi/BT cards or build one from parts from China to get continuity working. If you have any other questions or suggestions of things to test to confirm they are working let me know.

Regarding the IONetwork, I created a patch for Clover. I will post it, when I am back on the Mac ;)

Thanks ohhfajitas for detailed explanation !

I actually did manage to enable trim with sudo trimforce enable. So far so good ;).

I tried to enable all of the back panel usb-ports but I know that at least one is still not working, but I don't basically care because I have enough of them (plus big USB hub).

Enabling audio is not an issue for me as i use external mixer Tascam DM4200 through firewire and it works great.

So, the only thing left is update to 10.13.4, but haven't got time yet. Will do in the next few days ...

Oh, I will try to get i7-980x (or some other 6-core proc) and some more ram (12Gb seems to get full quite soon) to really get this old piece of sh.t fly (though it is pretty fast already ;))

Thanks and I will be back if something new comes out.

(EDIT - 25.4.2018)

Does anybody have any idea which configuration for ram would suit the best for Deluxe P6T v2 ?
Now I have 3 x 4 GB Kingston 1333 Mhz.
Would it be better to have 6 x 4 Gb or would 4 x 4 work as well ?
The question is because System report in HS shows now only 4 slots available (one currently empty).

(EDIT - 26.4.2018)

Maybe just an interesting information, I just realized that Deluxe P6T v1 & v2 supports Xeon processors x5660 / 70 / 80, though they are not in the specifications. Only newest bios upgrade is needed (I think at least 1201 version). This processor is already 32um (compared to 45um) and the power consumption in much less (90W compared to 130W). Also they can be overclocked, plus the current prices are lover than older 980x or 990x ... So I might try with this.

Last edited:
Regarding the IONetwork, I created a patch for Clover. I will post it, when I am back on the Mac ;)

That would be awesome. I haven't looked into writing patches, but if there is already one for the networking and audio, or if there is some nice guide/information floating around I'll try to see if I can manage to write one.

Thanks ohhfajitasDoes anybody have any idea which configuration for ram would suit the best for Deluxe P6T v2 ?
Now I have 3 x 4 GB Kingston 1333 Mhz.
Would it be better to have 6 x 4 Gb or would 4 x 4 work as well ?
The question is because System report in HS shows now only 4 slots available (one currently empty).

I am pretty sure that 6x4GB would would be better than 4x4. If it were a choice between 4x4 or 3x4, I also think 3x4 would be better for the same reason. The board is a triple channel, and unless something has changed, the channels should be equal or matched, or at least that is how it has been in the past when I've built computers. You could test this with a benchmark on memory bandwidth with 4 slots populated versus 3 slots. I would consult the board's manual to confirm this.

It appears that the USB method enables them, but only at USB 1.1 or 12Mb/sec and not the full USB 2.0 speeds.

It appears that the USB method enables them, but only at USB 1.1 or 12Mb/sec and not the full USB 2.0 speeds.

Nevermind I am wrong. Testing speeds it seems to work. I have a device that doesn't seem to work except in certain ports. Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back