1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
THANK YOU!! It worked for me with a Asus P6T Deluxe board with a Nvidia GTX 760, with an Intel i7 920!

Motherboard
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU
I7-920
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Well I don't know how any of you got this working on High Sierra. I've tried off and on so many times and nothing EVER works. I tried doing an upgrade install and it always ends up with the stupid "Still waiting for root device" error when booting the installation partition. Then I tried wiping the whole disk and reinstalling from scratch. It gets past the first 5 minute install stage fine, but when trying to boot from the install partition, same old damn "Still waiting for root device." So in my upgrade install attempts, it was booting off SATA, not USB. Now that I'm back to square one reinstalling from a USB drive to a SATA drive, I'm getting the same BS. I've tried every single option and kext that has always worked before on all versions up to Sierra. High Sierra just refuses to boot period. I don't even want to think about Mojave.

Edit: After about 40 hours of fighting this, I discovered finally that only on the very first attempt after a hard power off and on of the computer (using switch on power supply, wait 5 seconds), it would actually get past the "Still waiting for root device" error. Completely illogical and 100% reproducible. Any soft resets or power off/on using the computer power button and the next attempt guarantees a "Still waiting for root device" error. Getting a hackintosh working these days seriously requires the god of luck on your side. And no, it wasn't smooth sailing after that revalation... Success still TBD.

Edit 2: After several more hours of fighting with various other problems, I finally have High Sierra installed.

Last edited: