Contribute
Register

ASUS P5Q - Yosemite Installation Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
p5q kexts worked for audio and network. Now updating. :)

Updating also worked. Didn't need to update the network. Only sound. Now migrating from old sierra to new sierra. Can't wait to test geekbench and FPS benchmark some games :)

Went on to install High Sierra. Used npci=x2000 again on both first time usb loads and second time after restart. Added GraphicsEnabler=NO again the first time it restarted. It restarted before by itself. But not sure it's needed. Then used start High Sierra instead of pre boot partitions. Here you can remove them:

The rand mutli beast with standard options of legacy boot mode (quickstart) , FakeSMC ( standard), bootloader agan legacy and Imac 14.2.

The ran clover conf. Didn't need to use sudo to see EFI dir. Just clicked it below in app. The added npci=0x2000 into boot by just right clicking mouse on boot arguments.

And now let's see if it's starts by itself.

I had a lot of problems. The xeon generated a lot of heat. Got a Be quiet Shadow rock 2. Which can handle 180 tdp. Boom back to 45 degrees @ cores instead of 70/80 celcius.

Also had restarts during start up of high sierra. Also inateck usb 3 gave me problems. so removed it. And my 2 raid 1 setups crashed when going from sierra to high sierra. But i thought that was a heat problem. But it isn't. It's all high sierra. When i detached the raid disks and inateck. No more restarts. But i think that had everything to do with high sierra.

Went back to my sierra install of the xeon and boom the second raid 1 setup came back like it never died. I kept that raid 1 setup off the system before testing the other one. Because other raid 1 setup was damaged in high sierra and i had problems with 1 of that disks before. So i focussed on that one. Copied the files to external drives as extra backup.

In high sierra i couldn't do anything with 1 of the raid 1 disks which was damaged. Even if i try to use it without the other it came up as not initialized. Format it in a external enclosure on my mountain lion install and boom it worked normal.

Also installed HWmonitor to see the temps of the cpu. And then the disks showed up very hot. So moved them to another place. Also added mac fan control but can't use them. Only see what is happening.

Anyway now the raid 1 is rebuilding. The one disk that acted up in High sierra and i formated in mountain lion i've added to the raid 1 in disk utility. I can't remove the old missing/damaged disk. But maybe i can after i've rebuild it.

Also got a hd 7750 for 5 euro at a recycle store. In box with everything with it. Tryed to replace the hd 4870 with it but i got black screen just before it would boot into the desktop. So that's back in to the box and gonna try that later.

The hd4870 uses 150 watt max and the hd 5770 105 watt so i will try it later.

Also HW monitor told me Kingston a400 256 gb disk only has 1 % life in it. I got a spare one which is i installed high sierra on. Will use clonezilla to copy the sierra install onto that one and see what's the problem with that 1% life ssd. I think reformatting will work. But i'll see how it goes. If i'm correct that 1% life disk is new as hell so if it's broken i bring it back to the shop.

Last edited:
Also i've read a lot about raid setups after updating to high sierra. Even external drives have problems not showing up. Some ppz said it's about spotlight indexing. Haven't checked that but will stay on sierra for a while. Also because when converting disks to APFS you can't use them for TimeMachine backups.

Read all the comments here:

Trying to install Sierra again on a new SSD. Used inject ati on unibeast 7.1.1. With no options added later on i got a scrambled apple logo and nothing. Must add i replaced the video card with sapphire HD 5770 vapor x.

Went back to this topic and add npci=x2000 and GraphicsEnabler=No as options during clover. I saw ati inject was in the options. Left that. Also it added a nvidea thing. Don't know why but i'm inside the installer now. Scrambled apple logo came on but soon it went back to the correct apple logo and finished the installer.

Now see if i can migrate from my last working sierra install to this. because i want better graphics with lower watt uses.

When trying to format old apfs high sierra ssd in sierra setup it gave me errors. So attached old good working sierra and added GraphicsEnabler=No because i changed video card to hd 5770. And boom it worked! Acceleration working everything.

Then formatted drive and that worked and now i'm back clover. Let's see if this above trick works again.

Oh and that i option was Set Nvidia to VESA (nv_disable=1)

Which looks like it's disabling nvidia drivers but i'm not sure.

Hwmonitor forgot the fans speeds and gpu temps. But I forgot to remove the fakeSMC for library/extensions.

Also I lost the abbilty to shut down. I had that yesterday but I tried to get the sis5723 esata ports to work and I think I broken the shutdown with that. Look at that later.

I needed that esata because I got 2 sad's. One with Sierra and 1 with win 10. 2 raid 1 setups and a data dvdr. Anyway now I use the esata port for windows. First you need to enable Marvel IDE. Also enable the boot room. Otherwise the bios won't see it and you can't boot from it. Also you have to set expert mode to normal. This way only the orange e sata port works. The rest is for raid setups.

Also about the raid that has 2 hd's back up working now still has the old missing hd. I can't remove it through disk unity but there supposed to be method through the terminal. Gonna try that. Or find a prog with a better gig because I don't like terminal that much.

Last edited:
Found the reason why it doesn't shutdown. When I disable esata through expert and disable ide marvel -> boom shutdown normally. Gonna try force shutdown in clover config.

Edit: force shutdown works. Sleep didn't but even if I take all the extra settings in the bios mentioned above on disable it also didn't work. But I don't care about sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back