Contribute
Register

ASUS P5Q - Mavericks Installation Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all , this is my first post :D
@sweerphreaK
have the same hardware ( - Asus P5Q-VM -Q8200 -vapor-x HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 -2x2GB ) and i'd like to know how Maverick running on your pc..
Is Fast? Have a crash? You try to use software like Photoshop ?

Thanks a lot for the Guide and for your help :D

Hello! first of all.. thanks a lot for the guide! thanks to this guide I was able to properly have my hackintosh running with my p5q pro turbo, I had been trying to this for a couple of years and got so frustrated I ended up quitting until yesterday.
I have two issues only that I'd like to solve.
1) My dvd drive is not being recognized at all (It's an LG and it's IDE). I set the JMicron controller to IDE in the BIOS but I'm not being sure if the drive is controlled by the JMicron.... btw, the drive works OK if I boot from it with a windows dvd. Any kexts I should install?
2) I have two monitors working right now: my main one is connected via dvi to dvi cable and the second one is connected with a dvi to via adapter since it's an old monitor. However, if i connect my TV with a dvi to hdmi cable, then the system freezes when booting. Maybe if i try with a dvi to dvi cable and a dvi to hdmi adapter, or a dvi to hdmi adapter and an hdmi cable?
Do you guys know of a good way to make a dual boot with windows on the same drive? I have my drive Partitioned already but when I get to the installation screen for windows, it won't allow me to install since my startup is GUID.
Asides from those 2 things, everything seems to be working flawless so I'm really happy.
My system configuration is
MB = P5Q PRO TURBO
Processor = Intel Q6600 quad core
memory = 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
gpu =
GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
HDD = 2x320gb 1x1tb 1x2tb

thanks again for all!

Hi,

Glad the guide helped you. In regards to your issues:

1. You need SATA DVD drive - IDE won't work no matter what you try. OS X recognizes only SATA DVD's. If you don't have one, I hope you have $20 to get one :)

2. Unfortunately I won't be able to help you with the DVI to HDMI cable issue. I have only one monitor and haven't tried this specific system with 2 monitors.

3. You should be able to find a lot of dual and multi boot guides on Tony's site. Here is one: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.ca/search/label/Dual Boot

Good luck!

Hi to all , this is my first post :D
@sweerphreaK
have the same hardware ( - Asus P5Q-VM -Q8200 -vapor-x HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 -2x2GB ) and i'd like to know how Maverick running on your pc..
Is Fast? Have a crash? You try to use software like Photoshop ?

Thanks a lot for the Guide and for your help :D

Hi,

If it helps, for the P5Q - only MB, I find Mavericks to be the fastest OSX I have installed on this specific machine. Very stable, have no issues with crashes, freezes, etc. Using it right now ;-)

I haven't tried using it for photo or video processing however I would go for a more powerful CPU (I5, I7) and better video card (at least a NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti) especially if you are looking for heavy video processing.

Good luck!

Hi,

If it helps, for the P5Q - only MB, I find Mavericks to be the fastest OSX I have installed on this specific machine. Very stable, have no issues with crashes, freezes, etc. Using it right now ;-)

I haven't tried using it for photo or video processing however I would go for a more powerful CPU (I5, I7) and better video card (at least a NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti) especially if you are looking for heavy video processing.

Good luck!

I just install Mavericks and yes the kext for Audio and Ethernet work.. My HD5770 work ..

I' ve a question: how can use the dsdt that posted @Big ?? I'm newbie in this things...

Thanks a lot to all :D

Confirmed. No DSDT for P5Q-E with Mavericks.
Mavericks 10.9.1 works just fine.

My kext in S/L/E are:
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
AppleHDADisabler.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
ApplePS2Mouse.kext
ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
AppleVIAATA.kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
lspcidrv.kext
VoodooHDA.kext for AD2000b, forks fine for me
FakeSMC.kext v.6.0.1000
EvOreboot.kext - for reset and shutdown

Thanks very much for files. I was having trouble getting audio working on my P5Q-E after a fresh 10.9.1 install and played around with a bunch of different kexts from different sources.

Installing the AppleHDADisabler and VoodoHDA kexts you provided got it working.

Excellent post. Followed your directions and have a working CustoMac. I've always used Windows, so this is my first time trying Mac. This guide was indispensable. I'm a bit tired of paying Microsoft all this money for product/activation keys for each computer. This system seems pretty nice. I might be an Apple convert soon. I'll play with this for awhile and if this works like I think it will, I'll be purchasing a Mac soon and cut that Microsoft cord. Thanks ALOT!

P5Q Pro Turbo Bios 7.01
GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
12 GB Corsair XMS Memory
2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD - Mavericks
Mushkin 240 GB SSD - Windows 7 Ultimate

Asus P5Q Vanilla

Hi guys,

I've done all the above and successfully installed Mavericks but audio is not working.... Ethernet is ok

I do not use dsdt as I have no idea how to use it and my efforts to create one (cant find one to download for Vanilla P5Q version) failed miserably.

Can you please help me out? I could use DETAILed instructions on what kext I should use to get Audio working.. Im using the SPDIF output of the card to an amplifier.

Please note that my previous installation of LION at the exact same system was flawless - unfortunately I erased the kext I was using with that... don even know if it would be useful now..

thanks guys.
F

EDIT:

Solved:

1) deleted AppleHDA after the installation
2) installed AppleHDA given together with AtherosL1eEthernet.kext

(no need for any voodoo stuff ;))

Hi,

Good luck!

Hello there. Ive got problems in installing 10.9.2 with clover on Asus p5q se. Can you share the config.plist with me, or if you can, share all your boot clover partition with kexts and etc. Thanks.

Hello there. Ive got problems in installing 10.9.2 with clover on Asus p5q se. Can you share the config.plist with me, or if you can, share all your boot clover partition with kexts and etc. Thanks.

Sorry, I am not using clover. Sailing with Chimera.

Excellent post. Followed your directions and have a working CustoMac. I've always used Windows, so this is my first time trying Mac. This guide was indispensable. I'm a bit tired of paying Microsoft all this money for product/activation keys for each computer. This system seems pretty nice. I might be an Apple convert soon. I'll play with this for awhile and if this works like I think it will, I'll be purchasing a Mac soon and cut that Microsoft cord. Thanks ALOT!

P5Q Pro Turbo Bios 7.01
GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
12 GB Corsair XMS Memory
2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD - Mavericks
Mushkin 240 GB SSD - Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm glad it helped you. As an FYI, after 22 years of using Windows, I was sold for OS X after 4 days (yes, days!). That must mean something. Now I have 4 CustoMacs, one Mac Mini and just 1 Windows machine. I would prefer to use Ubuntu instead of Windows however there is a specific app that exists only on Windows (MS Project) hence me needing the machine. I can't convert it to OS X anyway since it has AMD CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back