RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
ASUS P5Q - Mavericks Installation Success

Hi,

I hope the instructions below will help those who own or are struggling with the ASUS P5Q MB. (Note, ASUS P5Q DELUXE or any other P5Q variation may or may not work. The steps below I have performed ONLY on the ASUS P5Q MB)

ASUS P5Q - Mavericks installation instructions

Used Unibeast 3.0 and Multibeast 6.0.0

Before you start: Create the Unibeast 3.0 with Mavericks drive (check http://www.tonymacx86.com site). After that, I strongly recommend to create folder on the Unibeast stick called something like “Utilities”. In that folder copy Multibeast 6.0.0, Kext Utility (or KextBeast from Tony’s web site), Chimera 2.2.1 (get it from Tony’s web site), AtherosL1eEthernet.kext and AppleHDA.kext files for ASUS P5Q (attached). That way, you will have all the utilities handy. Now we are ready to roll.

1. Install Mavericks with Unibeast 3.0 by using:
- IGPEnabler=No
- GraphicsEnabler=Yes
The first option disables the Intel Graphical Processor to be used - P5Q doesn't have any ;-)
The second option enables the graphics for the external PCIe or PCI graphics card. I am using NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS with 1GB of RAM which Mavericks recognized it OOB.

2. After the install completes and computer reboots, use Unibeast again to boot Mavericks up

3. Copy the entire Extra folder from Mavericks Unibeast USB stick to Extra folder on the HDD. If the files are not visible use: "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" in the terminal and relaunch Finder (ALT+right click). This step will not only create the “Extensions” folder under “Extra” on the HDD but it will also copy the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file.
Multibeast 6.0.0 gave me the error message “Installation failed”. Seems there might be a bug if the file does not exist and you try to change boot options in Multibeast 6.0.0.
Copy also the “Utilities” folder from the USB to the Desktop. It will be handier.

Important: Pay attention how you spell “com.apple.finder”. Up to Mountain Lion it used to be “com.apple.Finder”. And, as you know, Linux (uh, OS X) is case sensitive.

4. Install Chimera 2.2.1 from its own package (from "Utilities" folder). Yes, I know that you can install it from Multibeast as well, however, it did not work for me. It looks like Multibeast corrupted the Chimera installation, at least for this hardware configuration - I spent quite some time to figure out the cause of this. If you ignore this step the computer may result with the infinite reboot loop issue. That is what happened to me.

5. Launch Multibeast 6.0.0 and select
- Mac Pro 3.1 definition
- IGPEnabler=No
- GraphicsEnabler=Yes
- Theme Tony mixed (or any other theme you like)
- DO NOT select any boot loader from Multibeast since you may result with the issue described in the above step

6. Delete from S/L/E AppleHDA.kext and any HDAEnabler*.kext. After that, Launch Kext Utility (or KextBeast) and install AppleHDA.kext and AtherosL1eEthernet.kext (attached). This will take care of the sound and ethernet card.

7. Reboot from HDD. If you end up with the reboot loop, well, then it’s time to read step 4 carefully. If the computer is stuck at the spinning wheel, most likely you have not used the proper AppleHDA.kext which is compatible with ASUS P5Q. Run “-v” at Chimera’s prompt and see where it gets stuck

8. If the reboot was successful, you should have now a great working CustoMac. And yes, restart, shutdown and sleep work perfectly. Enjoy!

Attachments

• ASUS P5Q Audio and Ethernet.zip
    2 MB · Views: 6,558
I didn't need to copy things around...

i booted the installer with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, installed Mavericks, rebooted with GE=Yes, ran Multibeast with settings:

Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-28 um 07.18.38.png

rebooted, installed the two kexts for sound and ethernet with kextbeast, rebooted again and everything is fluffy since then ;)

I only loaded the following, as these were the only ones I needed on 10.8.5:
- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
- FakeSMC
- PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpads
- AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset

Of course I also loaded the audio and ethernet driver.

I had created a custom DSDT (attached here:View attachment P5Q-DSDT.zip) with this text file from olarola dot com: View attachment P5Q.txt
It all worked perfect on 10.8.5 and it works too on Mavericks.

Here's the content of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EnableC2State</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1680x1050x32</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>npci=0x2000</string>
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>B00tcamp</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>2</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

So, I guess this thread would provide anyone who wants to use their P5Q mobo with all the tools to get it working.

I didn't need to copy things around...

i booted the installer with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, installed Mavericks, rebooted with GE=Yes, ran Multibeast with settings:

View attachment 71456

rebooted, installed the two kexts for sound and ethernet with kextbeast, rebooted again and everything is fluffy since then ;)

Sorry, it didn't work for me. I still had to modify the boot options with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IGPEnabler=No. I cannot confirm if Chimera works by choosing EasyBeast from Quick Start since I already had mine installed manually. However, selecting EasyBeast resulted in changing or selecting GE=Yes and IGPE=No afterwards.

Sorry, it didn't work for me. I still had to modify the boot options with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IGPEnabler=No. I cannot confirm if Chimera works by choosing EasyBeast from Quick Start since I already had mine installed manually. However, selecting EasyBeast resulted in changing or selecting GE=Yes and IGPE=No afterwards.
Try switching to Chameleon, that's what I use. No problems with iMessage. Use Chameleon wizard to install.

Note that Chameleon has the same problem as Chimera when it comes to upgrading the free iWork apps. To fix that you need Clover (from USB works too) or use the VMware route.

You can check those two options in Mulitbeast in tab Customize/Boot Options ;) no need to change or select afterwards ;)

You can check those two options in Mulitbeast in tab Customize/Boot Options ;) no need to change or select afterwards ;)

That is what I meant by "selecting" ;-). i just clarified it for others since your instructions weren't really clear from that perspective.

Try switching to Chameleon, that's what I use. No problems with iMessage. Use Chameleon wizard to install.

Note that Chameleon has the same problem as Chimera when it comes to upgrading the free iWork apps. To fix that you need Clover (from USB works too) or use the VMware route.

Thank you. Just to clarify, my CustoMac works fine, including iMessage. I haven't tried upgrading the free iWorks yet. Would you be able to provide the detailed steps to achieve that so it will help others too?

Running the CustoMac after it booted up from Clover. The upgrade to the latest iWork or iLife is still not working. Unless there is a specific configuration that must be performed on the config.list file, changing the boot loader to Clover is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back